Scamp or Escape? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 01:29 PM   #1

Name: Lesley
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Scamp or Escape?

I've got a Scamp 16 Deluxe on order but I've been looking at the Escape 17Bs (and love all the customization they allow). I know it ultimately comes down to a matter of personal preference, budget and timing but just curious to hear from anyone who looked at the same trailers, what you chose and why?

Thanks in advance for any responses and hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Lesley
shrimpscampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have a 16' Scamp Deluxe. Yes it's 32 years old, but you wouldn't know it by looking at it because I take care of my stuff.

NOW, I didn't buy a 17' Escape... or any bumper pull Escape, I bought the 5.0TA. The reason, is I wanted more ROOM, a better layout, better manufactured build and yes, I wanted it customized for Me.

Scamp builds a nice entry-level trailer. I know every inch of my Scamp, warts and all. I also know every inch of my Escape. FAR fewer warts. And I'm not just talking about the lack of snap caps and rivets. ZERO regrets making my purchase. Okay... there's one. My 5.0TA is huge (in comparison) when it comes to washing and waxing

Good luck with your decision.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #3

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have a 16' Scamp Deluxe. Yes it's 32 years old, but you wouldn't know it by looking at it because I take care of my stuff.

NOW, I didn't buy a 17' Escape... or any bumper pull Escape, I bought the 5.0TA. The reason, is I wanted more ROOM, a better layout, better manufactured build and yes, I wanted it customized for Me.

Scamp builds a nice entry-level trailer. I know every inch of my Scamp, warts and all. I also know every inch of my Escape. FAR fewer warts. And I'm not just talking about the lack of snap caps and rivets. ZERO regrets making my purchase. Okay... there's one. My 5.0TA is huge (in comparison) when it comes to washing and waxing

Good luck with your decision.
Donna, thank you for this input! I'm a resourceful person and can figure stuff out but I'm not handy so it's nice to have fewer warts. Based on the pricing for the Scamp options I chose and my "sample build sheet" online for the Escape, there is only about $5K differential in pricing. That's what has got me thinking. You can never say never but I'm hoping not to have to upgrade/switch to another trailer so I'm trying to do all my due diligence now. I think I've seen some pictures of the interior of your 5.0TA - I love the ability to pick fabric, formica, flooring. I've heard a "rumor" that Scamp may be switching to blinds instead of the dated curtains but they still use the same old flooring and counter/table surfaces.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
I purchased a Scamp 19 Deluxe in 2012. I sold it three years later and like Donna, purchased a 5.0TA. And like Donna, I discovered many warts in the Scamp and far fewer in the Escape. As far as customization, we fold rather than hang our clothes. When I asked Scamp if they would install a couple of shelves in the wardrobe closet, I was told “you can do that after taking delivery.” And when I took delivery of the Escape, the trailer’s electric brakes actually worked because Escape, unlike Scamp, actually hooked them up. And the vent fan in my Escape has never leaked because Escape actually used butyl tape when it was installed. Scamp is an OK trailer. The day I picked it up was the second happiest day in my RVing life, but the day I sold it was my happiest. And yes, Escape customized several items for me, and I can say of all the trailers I have owned, the Escape has been the best. I would purchase another one, but I would not purchase another one of any of my previous trailers. I’m not saying the Scamp was bad. But I will say I more frustration than enjoyment out of mine.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:46 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Everything comes at a price Lesley. Yes, I have custom upholstery and I choose a different Formica (and sink!). Options cost. I bought the upholstery (had it shipped from Hawaii!!!), paid to have the cushions made and paid extra for my choice in Formica. At the time, there was ONLY one choice for each as a default. Now that's six or seven! Choosing from those selections may save you $$$.

Good for you doing your due diligence. I'm sure you'll make the best decision that will work best for you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I've seen them all and worked on nearly all of them and so far I have not seen a better build with fewer "warts" than my Scamp13D.
Unless it gets wrecked I'll never need to purchase another one.

All fiberglass trailers are great and each is a perfect fit for someone.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 05:13 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I've seen them all and worked on nearly all of them and so far I have not seen a better build with fewer "warts" than my Scamp13D.
Unless it gets wrecked I'll never need to purchase another one.

All fiberglass trailers are great and each is a perfect fit for someone.
That is an interesting take because I did not find my Scamp to come anywhere close to what I would define as well built. I am, of course, happy for you that you are so pleased with it. In the manufacture of any product, there are always a few that are lemons. I believe the same could be said that there are also a few manufactured that would be the exact opposite of lemons. I’m guessing you were fortunate to get one of those because I surely wasn’t; mine was a wart ingested lemon. But I agree with your last statement, the part that each is a perfect fit for someone.

And while statistics can be twisted in many cases to make a point, there are two statistics I find difficult to overlook:
1. I read far more posts where owners are complaining about quality problems with their Scamps than people complaining about Escapes. That’s not to say that these problems cannot be corrected but I for one kind of expect a product coming off the assembly line should not be plagued with a myriad of “issues,” or as I came to realize, being brand new, I felt should not be Shoddily Constructed And Maintenance Plagued.
2. And the more telling statistic is that I am aware of many, many Scamp owners who have done as I did: sold their Scamp and purchased an Escape. On the other hand, I have only heard of (less than) a handful who did the reverse.

The Lil Snoozy is a well constructed and aerodynamic trailer. But I wouldn’t have one because they do not have propane appliances and I do not care for cassette toilets. Similar arguments can be made for or against any trailer. The Scamp was my first FG trailer and I admittedly was uneducated. But I was not impressed that structural components were held in place by bolts penetrating the fiberglass shell as well as other “design” features. And I surely wasn’t impressed when both my roof vents leaked and two Scamp employees told me that they always utilized butyl tape under the flange of the fan body. That after I had repaired both and saw firsthand there was no sealant under the flanges of either. It took me ten hours of labor to correct what five minutes and half a dollar in materials at the factory would have prevented......just another wary.

Again, I am glad when someone finds the fiberglass “perfect fit” trailer of their dreams. Most of the time their “dreams” are based on opinion, of which there are many and they vary highly. However, I seriously doubt that very many are of the opinion that Scamp is the very best fiberglass trailer available. I have no doubts that my opinion in this case results from far too many “warts.” But there will always be someone who is willing “to run interference” for manufacturers who aren’t always “up to snuff.”
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
The Lil Snoozy is a well constructed and aerodynamic trailer.

I don't believe it is aerodynamic. That would require a tapered rear end, not a slab.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That is correct. The teardrop shape is actually better for aerodynamics.

I'm going to guess one of the most aerodynamic full-height travel trailers on the road is the Bowlus Road Chief. It has both a rounded front and tapered rear.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowlus Road Chief.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	137224

The most aerodynamic all-molded molded trailer might well be the Bonair Oxygen.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bonair <a title=Oxygen.jpg Views: 24 Size: 122.1 KB ID: 137225" style="margin: 2px" />
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:20 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
A lot depends on how much you are willing to spend on a non essential luxury .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:28 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Rivets or no rivets.

Factory customization or no customization.

Five year old design or 40 year old design.

Scamp pull behind maxes out at 16 feet. Escape starts at 17 feet.

Some very useful Escape factory options like matching front storage box and surface mounted cord. Not available from Scamp.

For people wanting minimum weight, a basic Scamp WILL weigh a lot less.

Scamp without options will also cost quite a bit less.

A standard Scamp will have a fiberglass interior, which I favor over a wood interior.

The Escape 5.0 TA has no competition IMHO, if you want to go that way.

You decide.

Escape has invested a lot of money updating their shell design, multiple times depending on the trailer size. They now use a standard RV door, better for them, better for owners.

To paraphrase Jerry Maguire: "you had me at no rivets".

+1 million, Lil Snoozy "looks" aerodynamic, it's not. If they flipped the design, it would be aerodynamic.

thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:34 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The difference between a fully optioned deluxe Scamp and a similarly optioned Escape 17B is not all that great, and I think I'd be inclined toward the Escape in that comparison.

But I'm not likely to be buying either anytime soon. Getting ready to send two kids off to college, so it will be a long time before we have any discretionary funds!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
DIFFERENT TAKE....

I own a Scamp and would buy an Escape the next time.

This would be a VERY interesting poll.... but it doesnt exist I'm sure:
How many Scamp owners have switched over to an Escape?
How many ESCAPE owners have switched over to a SCAMP!??

Think about it...
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:49 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We’ve owned a 1999 Scamp 16 ft STD , a 2013,17 ft Casita SD and an 2018 Escape 21C
All served us well . The only reason we went from our Casita 17 to an Escape 21 was we wanted more room and Scamp and Casita do not offer a bumper pull trailer that large
If the largest trailer Escape offered was a 17 ft we would have stayed with our Casita or gone up to a Bigfoot
I doubt there are many that go from a 17 ft Casita to a 17 ft Escape , the 19 or 21 ft is a different story
Escape does offer more options , so again how much are you willing to spend on a non essential item
The cost of the options on our Escape equaled the original purchase price of our Casita — Luxury / options don’t come cheap
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
That is an interesting take because I did not find my Scamp to come anywhere close to what I would define as well built. I am, of course, happy for you that you are so pleased with it. In the manufacture of any product, there are always a few that are lemons. I believe the same could be said that there are also a few manufactured that would be the exact opposite of lemons. I’m guessing you were fortunate to get one of those because I surely wasn’t; mine was a wart ingested lemon. But I agree with your last statement, the part that each is a perfect fit for someone.

And while statistics can be twisted in many cases to make a point, there are two statistics I find difficult to overlook:
1. I read far more posts where owners are complaining about quality problems with their Scamps than people complaining about Escapes. That’s not to say that these problems cannot be corrected but I for one kind of expect a product coming off the assembly line should not be plagued with a myriad of “issues,” or as I came to realize, being brand new, I felt should not be Shoddily Constructed And Maintenance Plagued.
2. And the more telling statistic is that I am aware of many, many Scamp owners who have done as I did: sold their Scamp and purchased an Escape. On the other hand, I have only heard of (less than) a handful who did the reverse.

The Lil Snoozy is a well constructed and aerodynamic trailer. But I wouldn’t have one because they do not have propane appliances and I do not care for cassette toilets. Similar arguments can be made for or against any trailer. The Scamp was my first FG trailer and I admittedly was uneducated. But I was not impressed that structural components were held in place by bolts penetrating the fiberglass shell as well as other “design” features. And I surely wasn’t impressed when both my roof vents leaked and two Scamp employees told me that they always utilized butyl tape under the flange of the fan body. That after I had repaired both and saw firsthand there was no sealant under the flanges of either. It took me ten hours of labor to correct what five minutes and half a dollar in materials at the factory would have prevented......just another wary.

Again, I am glad when someone finds the fiberglass “perfect fit” trailer of their dreams. Most of the time their “dreams” are based on opinion, of which there are many and they vary highly. However, I seriously doubt that very many are of the opinion that Scamp is the very best fiberglass trailer available. I have no doubts that my opinion in this case results from far too many “warts.” But there will always be someone who is willing “to run interference” for manufacturers who aren’t always “up to snuff.”
Don't forget the Scamp Deluxe trailers still in used and over 30years old in very nice condition. I expect no less, and mine is only half way there.
i would not make a straight trade for your gorgeous trailer today, and it is clear the you wouldn't trade me either.
Escape has managed to correct such things as defective frames, DOT wiring problems and other issues...

The trend for years has been to "Upsize" not necessarily "Upgrade".

As you say...
"In the manufacture of any product, there are always a few that are lemons. I believe the same could be said that there are also a few manufactured that would be the exact opposite of lemons. I’m guessing you were fortunate to get one of those."

I am truly glad that you are happy with your Escape, I hope you are still happy a decade from now (like me). I expect it will be so.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #16

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Lesley,

Out of curiosity, which version Deluxe do you have on order?
What delivery date and which salesman?

Both are probably fine trailers.

I thought that I wanted and Escape 17B and my sister actually has one.
I think both of us are reasonably happy with our choices.

We actually got a 2017 Scamp Deluxe Layout A with a no-charge swap of front sofa/bunks instead of the usual front dinette. I think that you've been around the forum long enough that you have probably seen pix of our trailer.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...FU?usp=sharing

If you are OK with the smaller side bathroom, I would probably recommend our configuration. Much of the decision may be personal preference?

Our reasons for choosing:

1) We lucked into a 60 day delivery date.
2) Our Deluxe was several hundred dollars cheaper than an E17B.
3) It weighs several hundred pounds less than the E17B. (We have the smaller six cylinder 2.7L Ecoboost in our F-150 and get ~20mpg towing).
4) For us, the Scamp factory is hundreds of miles closer than Chiliwack (for purchase, warranty work. repairs/updates).
5) The Scamp may be a little more aerodynamic (it's a little more rounded).
6) We have a closet.
7) We have lots of storage.
8) We now have a Lagun Table for indoor dining on the sofa (new table matches oak interior - Google Drive pix above have my old "template table").
9) We don't usually need/use a top-mounted AC (instead, we use a Frigidaire 5000 BTU in back window when we really need AC. My sister and B.I.L. say that their top-mounted AC is EXTREMELY NOISY!)
10) Our center aisle might be a bit wider? (not totally sure on that ...)
11) Scamp did customize our trailer (front sofa, no sink in bathroom, privacy glass over sink instead of curtain, no stinky/slinky on the front, etc.)
12) The Deluxe trailers don't have rivets; they have wood screws under the snap caps.
13) My brother-in-law says that our sofa is more comfortable than sitting "bolt upright" in a side/front dinette.
14) We didn't need/want a "standard furnace"; we prefer an additional storage cabinet and using a small ceramic space heater.
15) Our build quality seems good/fine. (I thought perhaps "better the devil you know than the devil you don't?)
16) Our door opens all the way. My sister's newer E17B opens 90 degrees.

For a few reasons, I much prefer our layout A over the Deluxe Layout B:
1) We have the full bed width (no overhang of kitchen cabinetry over bed - watch promo video carefully.)
2) There is enough room between our sink and stove for a coffee pot.
3) We have a "toe kick" area under the fridge, cabinets, and closet where we can put shoes just out of the main aisle.
4) The front window gives the visual impression of a larger (17+) foot trailer.
5) Our front gravel shield provides a location for a temporary solar panel.
6) If we want/need, we can sleep a couple of grandkids in the front bunks.

At Green Eggs and Ham (a couple of years ago), an Escape 19 owner came across the street, looked at our trailer and said "You sure have a lot of storage in here!"

On the plus side for the E17B:
1) The side bathroom is a little larger (ours is "cozy" ... but we don't spend much time in there ... mostly for night use.)
2) The E17B front dinette is a a few inches wider than a normal Layout A front dinette.
3) I like the front storage box and the outside hatch into storage.

I'm sure there must be other E17B advantages that I'm sure others will point out.

Given the choice, my wife says that she would not now trade our trailer for an E17B.

As previously stated, both are fine trailers. It will likely depend on YOUR own preferences and "mission profile".

Wayne Pitlick is/was our Scamp salesman and is familiar with our configuration (and any other "customizations" that I may have forgotten).

Best of luck to you on your decsion(s)!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 13
California
whats the price difference on the 2?

I don't think you can or should compare the 2 against each other, they are in 2 very different economic class structures. you are teetering on the have and have nots.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #18

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
In late 2016 (or early 2017) the list price of a Scamp 16 Deluxe was $19.995.

I really don't remember what the E17B was ... I just remember that it was going to be several thousand dollars more (even considering a fairly favorable exchange rate.)

Someone else may know/remember what the list price of an 2017 Escape 17B would have been?

Ray

PS -

Another factor was the $500 deposit (compared to more $$$ for the E17B ).

At my request, Scamp also gave me the door and hinges/knob for the microwave cabinet but did not mount it and put the hinge screw holes in my wood.

Scamp would have added a removable power cord but, I had already done that on my Scamp13 (big bed) and just decided that I would do it myself again. (Doing that "mod" makes the "cord cabinet" available for additional storage of dry goods (paper plates, cups, extra coffee, wiener roasting sticks, etc. Since I had to carry a water hose separately, it was no big deal to throw the detachable power cord into the same tub.)
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Here's my 2008 Escape 17B, for what it's worth. Keep in mind CAD.
Attached Thumbnails
Bill of sale.jpg  
Old 09-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #20

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Lesley,

Out of curiosity, which version Deluxe do you have on order?
What delivery date and which salesman?

Ray
Ray, good food for thought. For the Scamp 16D, I was really torn between the 2 layouts but kept gravitating toward the Side Dinette, Front Bath. Wayne is my sales person and he has been great to work with.

In terms of cost, the Scamp is coming out to approx $27,000 and the Escape is approx $31,000.

Some of my thoughts are:

Scamp
- As you say, I'm not crazy about the counter overhanging the back dinette/bed area (although Scamp is now offering a glass top stove which makes it a bit better IMO)
- New builds will have the flat door - have never seen it, don't know how it will look or work.
- Not in love with the Scamp fabric choices or the flooring and counter top material they use.
- A bit concerned about storage as there is no option for a box on the hitch or outside storage hatch.
- Dumping in general is not attractive to me and Scamps have separate "lines" so you have to dump 2x instead of using one line for both gray and black.
- Like the rounded shape

Escape
- The 17B layout is like the Scamp Deluxe Side Bath option, which was not as appealing to me as the side dinette
- BUT I could order the front dinette as a bed (solo camper) and the back dinette as a U shape with lagun table so there is no "work" to do to have set up I like.
- I like the customization options for fabric, flooring, counter top.

I know there is no such thing as a "maintenance free" trailer but I'm trying to avoid starting out behind the eight ball so to speak.

I live in NJ so neither headquarters are close to me - although Backus is closer (but certainly not a quick trip!). AC is a must for me, it gets really hot and humid in the northeast in the summer and while I'm fine with heat in general, I hate to sleep in the heat. Any trailer I order will have the roof mounted AC (as that seems the easiest thing to do).

I have no experience with either trailer but as has been noted in this thread, most people go from Scamps to Escape and not the other way around. I'm certainly not using my couch change to buy a trailer but at only $4K difference in price, I'm wondering if the Escape would be a better value.

I should also say I have a 2020 Honda Passport AWD that will work with either trailer from what I've researched.

Tags
escape, scamp