Shade for UHaul Camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #1

Name: Ellen
Trailer: currently shopping
Florida
Shade for UHaul Camper

Hello

I'm searching for ideas to create some shade for my camper. I currently have a Clam screen room but would rather have more simplicity in my camper set up. I'm reluctant to have an awning attached to my camper since I don't have a trusted camper vendor that I would be comfortable with drilling holes in my camper.
Does anyone use a half umbrella with their campers that they would recommend for durability and ease of set up? Any other ideas are welcomed too!

Thanks!
catnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 04:47 AM   #2

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
I added about 7' of aluminum Keder rail to the door side of our CT, held to it mostly with double-sided foam tape. Bought a nylon tarp, and sewed the corresponding Keder strip to one edge of it. Propped up the outboard side with telescoping tent-poles. (all of this purchased on Amazon---pretty sure.)

Later swapped out the slightly-odd-shaped tarp for a lightweight painter's drop cloth--with a generous spray of tent water-proofing on it.
Pretty easy to set up, very easy to take down. I'm 5'10" or so... my wife would need a step-stool to reach.
More "casual-looking" than some would prefer, but works for us. Described on this page of my thread, and the canvas change-over bit on the next page of it.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...-66181-11.html
Attached Thumbnails
18-0522 SwedePoint trip 02a.jpg  
Old 10-19-2020, 05:33 AM   #3

Florida
Thanks for the info and picture. Is the rail mounted on the camper while you travel, or do you set up rail and tarp after you arrive at destination?
Old 10-19-2020, 05:43 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I riveted an awning (keder) rail on our Uhaul and bought a bag awning. Don't have any photos as we sold the trailer last year. Easy to set up with two people, one person could do it but two is much easier.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 05:55 AM   #5

Florida
Thanks for the info, Bob and Mary. I've found several threads about shades so hopefully I will find a good solution for my camper
Old 10-19-2020, 06:10 AM   #6

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Ellen,
In our case--yes the aluminum rail stays on the camper. It's mostly held secure by the double-sided foam tape, but I added aluminum pop-rivets at the ends just for some added piece of mind.
I'd say it takes 5-10 minutes to set up and stake.
We also use a separate, squarish screen tent for a place to sit outside, if it's buggy.
Gary
Old 10-19-2020, 10:37 AM   #7

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Shade

We installed rails on side of camper for Shade Maker Awning and it works great.
You can travel with it on or slide the awning out of the track for storage in the winter. You can call Sid direct at Shade Maker 773-955-0998.
Safe travels,
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6468.jpg   IMG_5935.jpg  

Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:02 AM   #8

Florida
Thanks for the info and pictures, Bob. I'll check out the Shade Maker website.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:30 AM   #9

New York
Couple issues we had with the Shademaker bag awning; 1) if left on the trailer with the awning rolled up in the bag, rain water can get in the bag. Apparently through the stitching. 2) Maximum length for a Uhaul awning is 8 feet. The 8 foot Shademaker uses the cheap twist lock poles, not the better poles as are available on the longer awnings. 3) if traveling with the awning on the trailer it can flop up and down from wind. I will say the awning worked good for us, but we removed it when the trailer was not in use and also removed it for travel. Bought the optional center rafter which we thought was worth the expense.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:49 PM   #10

Name: Elena-Sophia
Trailer: Casita SD17
California
We have successfully shaded the side of our Escape 19' with a product that can be left up in high winds. It's the Soclerg 70% Aluminet Shade Cloth Fabric, made of aluminized polyethylene, and used to shield greenhouses, outdoor dog kennels, and people from heat. It available on Amazon in sizes from 6'x6' to 13'x24', (our 10'x6' weighs less than 2 pounds).

As it's woven mesh, it won't keep you dry, but it will drop the temperature by 10 to 15 degrees.
Elena-sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:56 PM   #11

Florida
Good info. I don't have a local shop that I would have confidence in to drill holes in my camper and I'm reluctant to try it myself. I will probably continuing looking for a shade solution that is not attached to the camper. I have a Clam but after big rains and moving stuff around to dry, I'm trying to simplify my outings. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:29 PM   #12

Name: Bob & Jackie
Trailer: 13' Scamp, 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
Shade Maker Awning

The newer Shade Maker Awning has a newly designed storage bag with the zipper opening lower so it will not take on rain water. They replaced our's with the new bag and have not had any problems with it filling up with water.
Bob & Jackie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 04:00 AM   #13

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We propped a First UP (Walmart and now taken over by Ozark, I think) outside our Uhaul VT doorway with the screens on that side tied to the sides. It goes high enough that the door opens into the screen room. Gives more space and keeps down the bugs. Few are smart enough to come under the camper. We used this with our 13' Burro also.

CindyL
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #14

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
We use an EZ up works great!
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #15

Trailer: U-Haul
Great idea. I did the same thing plus I added a tee-pee and put our port a potty inside. it works perfectly.
Mila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:56 AM   #16

Name: Grace
Trailer: Helio
Pennsylvania
No-Drill DIY Awning

My husband and I have a (Canadian) Helio O2 fiberglass rv, and we use 3 suction cups to attach one end of a 13’ long tarp to it. The suction cups have stayed on securely during the 4 outings (2-3 nights) we have made since I “masterminded” (haha) this awning configuration. We attach the other end of the tarp, which is 10’ wide, to heavy duty telescoping tarp poles, which we stake to the ground. We do detach the tarp from the poles and roll it up if it’s very windy, or when we leave our camp site for hikes, excursions, etc., as a precaution.

This particular tarp, although pricey, is of excellent quality, very lightweight, and waterproof.

Also, Helio seems to be virtually unknown in the US! It’s a fantastic camper. Very lightweight, well designed, and well made.
Attached Thumbnails
4AF0FD13-1D96-47DE-8F0A-F528F6416545.jpg   018C7AFE-729B-467D-9EA9-889AEBCE95AA.jpg  

47C7B381-A8E3-4DCE-9743-ED2435AD0948.jpg  
GraceInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:36 AM   #17

Name: Elena-Sophia
Trailer: Casita SD17
California
The suction cups are the way we mount our Soclerg Aluminet Shade Cloth awning. Because it is woven mesh, we put it up and leave it up in any wind condition.
Attached Thumbnails
sc-al80_1.jpg  
Elena-sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:50 AM   #18

New York
The first year we owned our Uhaul, before replacing the leaking windows, we used one of those Shelterlogic peaked roof 10 X 10 canopies. They use a whole bunch of pipe sections so not a quick set up. We had the trailer in a campground in Georgia for the winter, so it was OK in that situation. Kept rain off the trailer but didn't extend off to the sides much. After replacing the windows was when we went with the bag awning which worked very good for us.

Tags
uhaul