A not so great experience with Escape trailers - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-29-2022, 01:23 PM   #61

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Keep in mind it is now a "sellers market". In all likely hood it will at some point become a "buyers market". Until it does we are at the mercy of the seller. Once the tide turns it should remain clear in our minds how we were treated by sellers. Hopefully positive karma will beget those sellers that provided good customer service when they could get away with not doing so and not so much so for sellers that did not.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 03:19 PM   #62

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Escape's policy is far from the worst in the molded fiberglass niche. How'd you like to have 40% of the cost of the trailer (non-refundable) tied up for the long wait?

I do think Escape's policy could use tweaking. They might make a distinction between reserving a build slot and ordering a trailer. Could be something like $500 to reserve a build slot with a $75 cancellation fee, and then a larger deposit at the start of the model year run with a contract including a firm price and delivery date.

Scamp's is quite possibly the best in the industry: $500 deposit, 100% refundable up to the day they start your build, firm pricing at time of order. They have never had a problem filling cancelled build slots nor selling a few units cancelled after the build started. They have weathered numerous booms and busts in the RV industry since they built their first Scamp in 1971.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 05:14 PM   #63

Name: Joel
Trailer: shopping
Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Escape's policy is far from the worst in the molded fiberglass niche. How'd you like to have 40% of the cost of the trailer (non-refundable) tied up for the long wait?

I do think Escape's policy could use tweaking. They might make a distinction between booking a reservation for a build slot and ordering a trailer (with a contract and firm price). Could be something like $500 to reserve a build slot with a $75 cancellation fee, and then a larger deposit at the start of the model year run with a contract including a firm price and delivery date.

Scamp's is quite possibly the best in the industry: $500 deposit, 100% refundable up to the day they start your build, firm pricing even two years out. They have never had a problem filling cancelled build slots nor selling a few units cancelled after the build started. They have weathered numerous booms and busts in the RV industry since they built their first Scamp in 1971.
Casitas deposit id 100% refundable right up until delivery, but it is also $2000.
jeepers29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 07:23 PM   #64

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers29 View Post
Casitas deposit id 100% refundable right up until delivery, but it is also $2000.
I wasn't familiar with Casita's policies, but that's also very accommodating.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:30 PM   #65

Name: Mike
Trailer: In the Market
Alaska
This is all clearly explained on their website and in their videos. Why anyone would put a deposit on a 19 month ETA is beyond my logic. If you want to go camping this summer you are going to have to buy another trailer anyway. Might as well just buy a better used trailer than assume the inflation risk for a company that might be in a different country than you. They could have even higher inflation than the USA has. We are at 8% now. In 2 years that is a difference of several thousand dollars.
RollinMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 12:33 PM   #66

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
You should have bought your Escape when I did - in 2008.
Would have saved a lot of money.

Not if he put his money in bitcoin in 2008. He would have 500x what your trailer is worth now. Even the S&P500 had 3x returns during that period. Inflation made your $$ worth half as much in just 12 years. You can't argue this. The trailer is double the price now.
Old 01-30-2022, 12:47 PM   #67

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
My first inquiry into a Bigfoot was a 6000 dollar deposit that was not refundable. My second inquiry was 2000 down with a caveat of illness or other catastrophic instance of refund until the trailer went into production. Same price . Who do you think I went with?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 02:06 PM   #68

Alaska
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
My first inquiry into a Bigfoot was a 6000 dollar deposit that was not refundable. My second inquiry was 2000 down with a caveat of illness or other catastrophic instance of refund until the trailer went into production. Same price . Who do you think I went with?

They are totally different trailers. Not even similar design. So if your only concern was $ I know you went with the cheaper trailer. There is a reason those are a lot cheaper. A $6,000 deposit doesn't even pay for their cost to make the trailer. I'm surprised they don't ask for 80% deposits. Basically what I understand is if they want $2,000 down then that trailer might be made CHEAP.

You ever seen the video on youtube of the Casita trailer broken in half in the middle of the road?

Old 02-06-2022, 07:57 AM   #69

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
We just gave Escape a $2k deposit to hold a build slot for an E21 in October, 2023. By then, who knows? I'm already finding it painful to crawl around hitching up our Casita. Maybe we'll get a Class C or something. I did it because I like the Escape company, and their campers, and with a deposit I'm eligible for their 'Inventory' raffles—though few and far between in recent months. And if I still want an E21 in about 17 months, I'll have the slot reserved.

Re the OP's complaint, I don't have a Build Sheet. His mistake was creating a 'build' on the website and mistaking that estimate for an order. All I did was give ETI a CC number and knew that I was just reserving a production slot in the far distant future. I expect those 'campers' luxuriating on their reclining sofas in the 'theater' slide-outs of their 40-foot fifth-wheel trailers would think I'm totally crazy.

In the meantime, I'm looking for a used Escape, or maybe a Bigfoot 21. We've still got our Casita—just want a larger camper for some longer trips this summer. Worse comes to worst, I can buy a stickie for about $20k off a dealer's lot.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:19 AM   #70

Name: Maria
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Price increase

I am in the same position of having to pay a price increase because I’ve had to wait a long time. Although I am bummed that I will have to pay more, this is happening in the manufacturing industry for most things. It’s happening for other things too. Food, cars, everything is going up because of the continual rising costs for shipping as well as parts for products. I truly believe that if we were all faced with rising costs in our business, that none of us would be able to eat the increasing price for products needed to make what we are selling. I know some people that have a class B that they are waiting for. Their price is increasing as they wait as well. So please consider that what is happening at Escape trailers is not someone trying to cheat you, or being dishonest. If Casita can promise you a price once you put down a deposit, that is phenomenal!!! But I like the Escape trailer much more. I just hope I can pay the price when mine is ready to be built.

Maria
MariaMeyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #71

Ohio
By the way Escape just announced another 10 percent increase
Old 02-17-2022, 09:09 AM   #72

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
QUOTE=Basically what I understand is if they want $2,000 down then that trailer might be made CHEAP.

You ever seen the video on youtube of the Casita trailer broken in half in the middle of the road?

Sorry to all for my inference but,,,,,,
So you’re posting 5 year old videos of one, near 40 year old camper, that looks to have had no real maintenance with a frame issue as a common occurrence, while calling one of the most sold and popular fiberglass campers of all time “cheap”.

You don’t have a clue nOOb. Your bias slip is showing!!

This thread has nothing to do with Casita and should be left out of the conversation. This post just chapped my cheeks.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:24 AM   #73

Ohio
By the way my 2000 down was to secure a Bigfoot 25 foot camper, not exactly cheap . Lol
Old 02-17-2022, 09:59 AM   #74

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
By the way my 2000 down was to secure a Bigfoot 25 foot camper, not exactly cheap . Lol
Right. I don't know how Casita got involved, save an accidental association of the number 2000 in two different posts.

Unlike Escape, Bigfoots are sold by dealers, and obviously different dealers have different ideas about deposits. I assume you were making an order for a unit with a specific layout and option list. Not really a lot of risk to the dealer for a popular and hard-to-find model, but they also have money tied up with Bigfoot to place the order from the factory. Different deposit requirements could reflect past experience with cancellations, or just because they can in a seller's market.

Even $6K is less than 10% of a new 25' Bigfoot. That's far less that the 40% required by some small semi-custom builders. In at least one case it's pretty clear the builder was using deposits on future orders to fund current builds. That's unethical and ultimately unsustainable.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:18 AM   #75

Ohio
Right I got quotes from 3 dealers. I went with one I did for three reasons: deposit required was less and somewhat refundable if catastrophic illness ensued, a shortened time line for delivery which has slipped of courses, and located in a city where my daughter lives to combine a visit. 2 out of three had the same price, one was much more expensive. One had a great reputation but required 6000 down and non refundable. It was closer, but an adventure to pickup o. The west coast was similar to our first escape.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:29 AM   #76

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

I appreciate the OP’s post. I think Escape makes great trailers; however, I do believe they could be more forthright regarding how they handle price increases.

I recently attended the Florida RV Super Show for fun. Love to look! I was shocked by the prices. I also keep up with molded fiberglass prices (new and used). Wow!

My pandemic past-time has been truck research and “window” shopping (on Sundays when the dealers are closed). Again, expensive.

I am lucky to have had the opportunity to retire a bit early this past year. More budget cuts at the university, so they decided to offer an incentive to get some of us senior faculty/staff to retire. But, retiring early means no new toys for 3 years until we turn 62. I am actually very comfortable with this plan. As mentioned in a previous post, it is a seller’s market. If the market cools over the next three years, we will consider a different camper other than our 2005 Casita that we love. We will have to upgrade our tow vehicle by then (the mighty 2009 Kia Borrego V8 has about 145,000 miles on it! ), but we may just keep our Casita for the long haul.

I wish the OP the best and appreciate the dialog regarding this subject.

Take care,

Dean
Old 02-17-2022, 11:09 AM   #77

Arizona
Registry
Love your posts, Dean, and congratulations on your retirement!

About that Kia... I would absolutely keep up with maintenance. I too enjoy learning about new vehicles and RVs, and it always makes sense to have a plan if a vehicle or trailer is taken before its time. However, I personally think the current prices are more-or-less here to stay. The transition to electric is going to be messy at best, and strong towing powertrains are going to be harder to find and will only get more expensive.

Our Pilot is now at 215K and I'm gunning for 300K. Honestly, I just don't see anything out there I like better.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:45 AM   #78

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Love your posts, Dean, and congratulations on your retirement!

About that Kia... I would absolutely keep up with maintenance. I too enjoy learning about new vehicles and RVs, and it always makes sense to have a plan if a vehicle or trailer is taken before its time. However, I personally think the current prices are more-or-less here to stay. The transition to electric is going to be messy at best, and strong towing powertrains are going to be harder to find and will only get more expensive.

Our Pilot is now at 215K and I'm gunning for 300K. Honestly, I just don't see anything out there I like better.
Hi Jon,

Thank you!!!

I absolutely love the Borrego. It was the perfect vehicle for us and our budget. Luckily, it has required relatively minor repairs and I have a wonderful mechanic that services all of our cars (2008 Kia Rondo and 2009 Honda Fit).

Laura likes to glamp a bit, LOL. We travel with 2 chairs, a rocker, a lounger, etc. along with the necessary camping gear in addition to our Weber Q1200 with the collapsible stand. Sometimes we bring along a fan (for hot humid months in the South) and a small 12 gallon Thetford if we don’t have full-hookups and are staying more than 5 or 6 nights. We recently decided to give up our 50L cooler and purchased a 50L Bodega 12v cooler in order to avoid dealing with ice. Despite being the same interior volume, it is bit larger with its exterior dimensions. We also purchased a dog stroller/trailer for Gibbs (the Mississippi Maltese ). He is turning 11 this year. I can currently out walk him! Plus, we can now take him on bike rides with us. Plus, it kinda of contains his pesky attitude a bit. Great for touring RV shows, walking downtown St. Augustine for hours, etc. BUT, the bottom line is that we almost have too much gear for our mid-size SUV!!! Now, Gibbs is 11 and we are currently set for the next 3 years with our setup. However, once Gibbs crosses the rainbow bridge, we will not travel with the dog stroller/trailer, plus Gibbs will not be there to take up space. So, we may be fine staying with the Borg a bit longer.

Poor Laura hears all my “research” about trucks. She would love for us to stay with a mid-size truck assuming proper tow capacity/payload. I am fine with a mid-size truck as well, but will entertain a 1/2 ton truck as well.

I agree with your assessment that higher prices are probably here to stay. As a buyer, I have been lucky over the years to avoid a seller’s market. If camper prices remain astronomical (relatively speaking), we will keep the Casita. The same will apply to the Borg as well. We will keep it if vehicle prices remain super high. Plus, what would I do with my time when not camping, if I did not research trucks!

I want to camp more and have the “discretionary” income to do it. I don’t want a camper payment AND a truck payment to prevent me for doing what we want to do!

Take care,

Dean
Old 02-17-2022, 12:42 PM   #79

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
I may have mentioned in another thread, our local Ford dealer has added $20,000 to MSRP for the few F150s he has on the lot. I can't remember ever paying sticker for a vehicle but I might now if I could decide what I wanted and it was available. Drove to the Toyota dealer last Sunday to look at one of the three 4Runners they had on their website. Nope, not a one on the lot. I'm pondering ordering another F150. I think they will sell special orders for sticker but it takes 8-10 months, from what I've read.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 01:13 PM   #80

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Heard the other day that Ford has 200,000 pre-orders for the F150 Lightening.

Tags
escape