Casita Water Heater Switch Jammed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2022, 04:48 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Casita Water Heater Switch Jammed

In the past I had problems with the electric water heater switch on my Casita being stuck in the off position. I took the trailer to a repair shop, but the tech said he was unable to access the switch. Subsequently it began working again and was fine for awhile. Then last fall when I pulled the anode to drain the hot water tank to winterize my Casita, the interior of the heater glowed bright orange. I tried to switch it off, but the switch was already off, so I quickly unplugged the trailer and pulled the fuse for the water heater. The glow disappeared.

Can anyone tell me how I might access the switch to replace it? Or, can anyone recommend a repair shop in the Portland, Oregon region that knows how to work on Casitas?

Thank you.
Youlanzhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:37 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
If you are talking about the outside W/H 115V switch you may need to pull the W/H. Another option may be to install a tall outside access door and replace the small power cord access door. That may allow you to access the back of the switch to release the locks and access the switch wires.
If you only have the outside 115V switch the voltage is controlled by W/H circuit breaker. The fuse is used for the gas and if equipped the inside remote 115 V switch operation. I don't use the outside switch; I use the inside ckt. breaker for 115v operation of the water heater. As you found out it, it is easier to replace a ckt. breaker than the outside switch if there is a failure.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 07:55 AM   #3

Name: Dan
Tennessee
I’ve had to replace that POS switch twice on mine, you can get them from Amazon or most any RV supplier.
Not very hard, just pull the gas line in front of it for access.
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 10:38 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I don't ever even mess with mine. I just leave it on all the time, and control the electric element from inside the trailer with a switch I installed under the rear dinette bench seat in the footwell area under the table. And no, you do not need to pull the water heater, (which would be an unnecessary major PITA in and of itself,) and just installing a larger door for the shore power cord will not gain you access to that outside breaker located on the face of the water heater. I know, I was one of the first to install a larger access door for the power cord when I installed my hardwired EMS unit. It does provide a nice access to the back side of the converter to work on wiring behind it, but it does absolutely nothing to provide access to the defective breaker which is located on the outer face of the WH, just inside the fold-down water heater outside access cover. I also added a 30 Amp marine twist-lock conversion, like I used to have on my boat, to remove the shore power cord when not in use. I no longer fight with trying to get the "spring-snake-in-a-can" power cord back into that stupid little hatch. And I no longer have any access for mice, ants and anything else that may want to use my power cord as a boarding ramp. As to the outside switch, it is there for one reason only. The Electrical Code requires that a power disconnect be available within line of sight to the appliance as a maintenance power disconnect for the water heater, because the Converter's power circuit breaker inside the trailer obviously is not in the line of sight to anyone outside working on it. (It's a shock prevention requirement.)
The power to the electric element is now controlled from the inside, which as an additional benefit, is especially handy if it's raining out. The switch also has an integral pilot light that lets you know at a glance that the electric element is energized or not. And the outside breaker is still there to be in compliance with the code requirements, I just don't need to go outside to turn the WH on or off anymore.

And as an aside, I'd be taking it to a different repair shop. If this so-called "repair tech" couldn't change the breaker, I wouldn't trust him to do anything else either. But then, nobody but me works on my trailer because I want things done right. Just me. I'm picky.
Attached Thumbnails
New Electrical Hatch2.JPG   New Electrical Hatch1.JPG  

New Electrical Hatch3.JPG   wtrhtrpwrsw.jpg  

wtrhtrpwrsw2.jpg  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:18 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I agree with Greg. When you replace the water heater switch leave it on and either add the relay kit & interior switch or simply add a 120V, 15 amp switch in series with the feed to the water heater. The stock switch is not really up to the demands of the water heater. It will fail, and is a PIA to replace. I've replaced the one in my Escape, and while access was OK the wiring was so short that it was "interesting".

I'd also check that the cladding on the electric heating element didn't fail while "glowing". Even if it still works, a cladding failure will result in an electric fault to the water, which will cause problems when plugging into GFCIs & present a shock hazard, particularly if your AC ground is not good.

To check, with the heating element wiring disconnected, use an ohm meter (or ohm setting on a multi meter) to measure between the element connections to a good ground (with water in the heater). Should read infinity. If you get a reading, replace the heater element.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 11:32 AM   #6

Registry
A couple of more good points from Jon.
Old 02-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Oregon
Casita Water Heater Switch Jammed

Wow! What informative responses. I'm very grateful to you all and may be back with questions about "tall doors" and the like. Thanks for the clarification regarding the difference between the fuse and and the breaker. That puzzled me though I too had begun using the interior breaker switch vice the exterior switch after my initial problems. Since many of my outings involve boondocking, I rely more on the gas system. At present I am in Germany, but after I return at the end of the month I'll look into the heat element and into replacing the exterior breaker.

Thank you.
Youlanzhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:46 AM   #8

Name: Andy
Michigan
Details?

Greg and Jon,

Could you provide a few more details about how you added the interior switch? At what point in the line, for example, do you add the switch?

I’m more in favor of adding the interior switch (with the added light) rather than relying on the circuit breaker alone.
Tague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 11:57 AM   #9

Michigan
DetAils part deux

Ah, never mind. I just read your article on your website describing your process. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:49 AM   #10

Registry
If you would rather not have to go outside to turn it on and off, and also not have to wear out your circuit breaker by using it as a switch, you could also do this mod as an alternative. It makes life with the HWH much easier.

"How-To" reprint from a previous post, when I did this mod several years ago:

(Using a circuit breaker as an ON/OFF switch is not good for the breaker. Using it for that purpose repeatedly will eventually wear out the tripping contact and sooner or later the breaker won't hold in the ON position. The breakers that Casita installs are designed as intermittent use devices. They are not, and do not, replace regular toggle switches which are designed to be cycled on and off regularly. That being said, an alternative to having to go outside and turn the HWH on and off with the switch on the top of the unit, you may want to consider installing a regular switch with a "Power On" indicator light inside your trailer, which is actually made to be cycled ON and OFF regularly. I find it very convenient to be able to turn it On and Off from inside, especially when the weather outside isn't very nice. This was a mod I installed years ago, and it has been posted several times when the HWH switch question arises.)

Remote HWH 120 VAC Switch installation (for turning the electrical element in the HWH on/off from inside the trailer.)

You will need a 3 terminal single pole pilot light switch, (it has 2 brass screw terminals, 1 silver screw terminal, and a green ground screw terminal.) Leviton makes one, (link below,) with a switch on top and a red pilot light on the bottom that fits a single electrical switch box (see pic below). You can find them at any "big box" store. You will also need a length of 12/3 w/Ground Romex wire, and an "Old Work" style plastic electrical box in which to mount the switch. (These are the style of boxes that slide into the cutout and have twist-out ears that secure the box to the wall when the screws are tightened.) The length of Romex you'll need must be long enough to run from the converter panel to the location wherever you decide to mount your inside switch, plus enough extra to route it along the existing wiring bundles and to make up the terminal connections. FWIW, I mounted my new inside switch on the footwell side of the rear side dinette bench, out of the way of getting bumped.

First: Remove your shore power connection to make sure that there is no 120 VAC power going to the trailer. You don't want to be working on energized equipment.

Remove the existing black wire from the HWH circuit breaker's screw terminal and just move it to the side for now. We'll come back to it later. Using the (new) Romex wire, take the black wire of the three insulated wires, and wire it from from the HWH breaker terminal screw in the converter panel to one of the two brass screws on the new switch. The red wire goes from the other brass screw on the new switch and is wired back to where it reconnects with the original black wire that was removed from the breaker terminal that you removed earlier, (see, I said we'd come back to it.) So, now you will have a black and a red wire. Twist these two together, wire nut them securely, and tape this connection well. OK, now that takes care of power to the HWH from the new switch. So now we need to hook up the pilot light on the switch. The switch itself needs to have a neutral wire in order for the pilot light on the switch to come on when the HWH element is energized. We will use the white wire for that purpose. One end will attach to the silver screw on the new switch. The other end of the white wire goes to an empty screw on the neutral bus in the main panel below the breakers. Be sure it is on the neutral bus, not the ground bus (Yes, they are not one and the same.) Lastly, the bare ground wire is attached between the green ground terminal screw on the new switch and an empty screw terminal on the ground bus in the panel. Since the ground wire is now potentially a current carrying conductor, be sure to tape up or heat shrink any of it protruding from the wire sheath to prevent it from being a shock hazard, leaving just the ends that attach to the terminal screws bare. Don't forget to leave the little switch located on the top of the HWH itself in the ON position at all times to make it work from inside, because power still goes through this switch on the HWH itself. It's just a lot nicer to not have to go outside to turn it on or off each time you want hot water. The switch with the pilot light isn't absolutely necessary, but it does give you that all-important indication as to whether the heating element is energized or not. It's a good reminder to remember to turn it off prior to draining the HWH and frying your heating element.

The switch I used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...-0WS/202035018 (And the cover plate needed for this switch is one made for a standard duplex outlet, not the normal stand-alone switch cover plate.)

The "old work" electrical box I used:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-1...202077323-_-N&
Attached Thumbnails
wtrhtrpwrsw.jpg   wtrhtrpwrsw2.jpg  

Old 02-13-2022, 11:03 AM   #11

Michigan

Tags
casita