Fridge flue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2022, 04:51 PM   #1

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
Fridge flue

Our Dometic will not cool on propane. We have cleaned the jet and burner but the manual says the flue should be cleaned once a year but to do that you have to remove the refrigerator. The thermocouple appears to be working properly.

Is there any way to clean the flue without removing the refrigerator?????

We really need your help! thank you.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #2

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
I doubt your flue requires cleaning, unless you see sign of it being sooted up. I've never cleaned mine.
Does your fridge work on electric?
Does your flue get hot on propane?
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:54 PM   #3

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
I doubt your flue requires cleaning, unless you see sign of it being sooted up. I've never cleaned mine.
Does your fridge work on electric?
Does your flue get hot on propane?

It works on shore power but not on the propane (which we desperately need for state and national forest camping and Boondockers Welcome sites.
After spending a week trying everything, we took it to a local RV repair for a week and $200 later they couldn't fix it.

Took it to Shipshewana IN to a fridge repair shop who for $600 put a new fridge in. Got it home and it DOES NOT COOL on propane. Flue gets warm on propane and much hotter on shore power.
Could it be the regulator on the propane tanks? 1st shop said they checked it.
We are desperately trying to get out of town on Tuesday for reserved sites in the UP. HELP!
Old 06-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Since two refrigerators failed to work, I would look elsewhere. Do other propane appliances work? Could the regulator be faulty? Could the line be plugged? Does your fridge have a control board? If so check that it's getting power. I would think a technician would check that stuff but you never know. When you figure it out, do let us know.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 12:37 PM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Since two refrigerators failed to work, I would look elsewhere. Do other propane appliances work? Could the regulator be faulty? Could the line be plugged? Does your fridge have a control board? If so check that it's getting power. I would think a technician would check that stuff but you never know. When you figure it out, do let us know.
Thanks Raz -
Yes the 2 burner stove works fine. The new fridge has a new control board. We just switched the line from the propane tank we had been using to the other one and the fridge seemed to cool but then started warming up again to 44 degrees. Now it's 50 degrees! but the sun is hitting that side so we lowered the awning. Maybe we should have the regulator checked again.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:19 PM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Is it very hot? These refrigerators struggle when it gets very hot. Shade helps as does a fan to pull hot air away from the fridge. I use a computer fan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181014_143513.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	146353
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 11:27 AM   #7

Name: Cotton
Trailer: Casita ID
KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by garycarolyn View Post
It works on shore power but not on the propane (which we desperately need for state and national forest camping and Boondockers Welcome sites.
After spending a week trying everything, we took it to a local RV repair for a week and $200 later they couldn't fix it.

Took it to Shipshewana IN to a fridge repair shop who for $600 put a new fridge in. Got it home and it DOES NOT COOL on propane. Flue gets warm on propane and much hotter on shore power.
Could it be the regulator on the propane tanks? 1st shop said they checked it.
We are desperately trying to get out of town on Tuesday for reserved sites in the UP. HELP!
The flue should be hotter, a lot hotter, on propane, than on electric. I suspect you have a "burner issue". What does the flame look like?
Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #8

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Not sure what the problem is but....I would sure be mad if I paid $600 for a new fridge and it did not work. Seems folks who work on RV fridges could figure this out......I would be demanding a partial refund or a fix.....my 2 cents.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, fridge