U-Haul Hitch Lock - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2006, 09:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Fellow U-Haulers -

I just picked up a 1985 U-Haul FG camper trailer (13 ft) and would like to find a convenient way to lock the trailer to my tow vehicle. The trailer is equipped with the usual U-Haul "spring-loaded notched screw-down tightening mechanism" as shown in the photo. This system works fine to tighten the receiver cup to the ball, but I don't know how to lock the trailer to the tow vehicle while we are underway. Have any of you U-Haul FG veterans developed a technique to lock the trailer to the vehicle? Any ideas or solutions will be much appreciated!

Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	u_haultrailer001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	2330
Attached Thumbnails
trailerhitch.jpg  
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Never felt a need to lock up while under way. I did drill a 1/2" hole in the hitch wheel cup, and use a padlock to lock the wheel to one of the safety cables so it can't be turned; I suppose you could run a chain around the tongue and lock it up that way when you're on the road.

The UHaul hand-wheel lockup is a bit less convenient than the usual lever-type lockup - but it's a lot less likely to pop open accidentally. The fact that UHaul - with the most trailering experience in the world - stays with the handwheel tells you something about hitch safety.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I recently saw an unusual lock at Princess Auto. It was a locking pin to hold the ball platform in the hitch receiver, but with a long cable loop attached. It was billed as a new product, and I wasn't sure what it was for, but perhaps the intention is to loop the cable through the trailer frame (maybe not so easy when you don't have an A-frame tongue) to lock the trailer to the tow vehicle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Thanks for your quick replies. I also believe that the original U-Haul hand-wheel system will work out well as is, but I would like the added security of locking the trailer to my truck once in a while. I don't mind drilling a hole in the hitch wheel cup, and I suppose that I could add a section of loose 1/4" stainless steel cable from the padlock to my truck frame. I appreciate your advice, and am looking forward to solving some of the neat problems posed by these great little U-Haul trailers.

Steve
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:08 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer 13 ft / 2005 Honda Element
Steve,
Why not lock the safety chains to the tow vehicle? They need to be connected anyway when the truck is attached and this would negate the need to attach a separate cable.
Just a thought.

As always, YMMV!

Later.
ERIC B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:31 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Steve: Eric has a good suggestion - maybe take it one step further. From your photo, your safety chains look about ready for replacement anyway (I replaced mine with coated steel cable, which works great). I've seen heavy-duty padlocks set up for permanent attachment to chains or cables. Instead of attaching both to your hitch with hooks, you might want to put a padlock on the end of one safety chain/cable. Just a thought...
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul