UHaul Modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2006, 10:54 AM   #1

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft
We just bought our UHaul last week end and already planning to modify the interior with the same plan as Gina did. This unit is in excellent condition, having been stored under cover for 15 years and the owner was anxious to rid himself of it, thus the original curtains, cusions, carpet, etc. are in decent shape. We think the gray curtains and interior coverings are drab and wish to add a little color. Our intention is to keep this unit only until the Spring of '07 then sell it and move up to a 16'er. Sooooo....we keep seeing that the UHauls for sale list originality as a selling factor (right down to the ugly exterior stripes. Should we store the interior parts (carpet/cusions/curtains) and re-install at time of sale to "increase collector value" or do these things really not matter much? Also we plan to remove the stripes, decals, etc. (all things UHaul-related), paint and pinstrpe the trailer to match our van and have the trailer professionally buffed out at an auto detail shop to a high gloss. Is THIS something that we should skip as well (as regards re-sale value)? Would appreciate any help here from fellow UHauler's! We like your design and appreciate the helpful hints, Gina, especially where to find the foam for the cusions!!
Lance M C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #2

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
The fact is, your UHaul isn't special because it's a UHaul - it's special because it is yours. I don't think there's much of a collector's value, anyway.

We have dumped the original swamp cooler (sold it on eBay), the ice box (junked it, made the space into a roomy kitchen pantry), the gaucho bunk (traded for cabinetry) and cushions - added a FanTastic Fan, bookshelf, window gutters, reading lights, etc.

Someday we'll sell it for what it is - a nicely appointed FGRV - and not for some imaginary collector's value.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with Jack---I did my Boler for my use not someone elses use.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
Well said, Jack. In some circles, there may be some value as a collector's item, but for most people, it's about the comfort factor. I've posted some of my mods before, but in summary, I've replaced the swamp cooler with a Fantastic Fan, replaced the ice box with a fridge, replaced the curtains, added an air conditioner, added the front dinette, and added a storage box on the rear bumper. I still have the original parts (including the original UHaul issue porta potty), which I have been considering putting on Ebay. In fact, I can fairly easily return the unit to pretty close to stock (especially the front dinette, which would take about 10 minutes to replace the bunks).

BTW Lance, I'd love to see you post some pictures of your rig!
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Lance,

Have fun with the mods.. you won't ruin any value, unless you do a wierd and cruddy job.

Keep the stuff you remove and try to make the mods reversible. Offer the new owner the parts and point out how easily stuff can be changed back.

Chance are, they would make the same mods anyway.

I got my foam from Micheals Crafts, a chain arts and crafts store here out west. The foam I got is light duty, but I am a very small woman, so the heavty duty stuff was not a concern for me. A normal sized person might find it too whimpy.

I am not sure it was intended as ophulstery foam, but I can't tell the difference

4' keeps my skinny backside off the seat base, your needs may vary.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ditto, ditto, ditto to what everyone else has said about "originality." It's not how original the trailer is that will hold/increase it's value...it's the type of mods and the quality of the materials used, along with quality of workmanship.

It ain't a Model A.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
The fact is, your UHaul isn't special because it's a UHaul - it's special because it is yours. I don't think there's much of a collector's value, anyway.

Go ahead and keep it all original, if that's what you want.

You have my permission.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Also we plan to remove the stripes, decals, etc. (all things UHaul-related), paint and pinstrpe the trailer to match our van and have the trailer professionally buffed out at an auto detail shop to a high gloss. Is THIS something that we should skip as well (as regards re-sale value)?
Clean & Shiny, no matter what color, will always improve resale value.
Having said that, please try to avoid [b]dark colors if you are thinking of resale.
People say they like color, but they buy white. Brilliant, Irridescent, Shiny WHITE.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Right on, Frederick!

When being "toured" we try to turn on all the lights inside, and after they have found their sunglasses and calmed down a bit they inevitably slam down a pile of cash. Often so large that we couldn't in all good conscience accept.

This is called the "Burro Curse." The remedy is probably a bunch of cans of matte green Krylon paint.

(Or not).
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft
Thanks again everyone for so many thoughtful and speedy replies.....you gotta LOVE this Group!!!

Plans are to buff out the rig then do a blue overlay where the original UHaul Camper stripe is on the side, then a small graphic or minor pinstripe job to match our white and blue striped conversion van.....nothing too crazy.

The swamp cooler on Ebay is a GREAT idea as its FOR SURE getting off the roof and outta there; the fan alone on "vent" is enough to drive ya crazy with that SCREAMING motor!!

I guess the real value is in the glass body and light weight towability (is that a word?). We took some pics but the unit was stripped and scattered around the yard within a few hour after arriving home so it appears a little storm ridden

We should have a better start on the project this weekend and then post some pics for all. It has been over 100 degrees here for some weeks now (today being a heat factor of 110 so we have not been able to do much. I am a native of New Mexico but have just moved from Maine after many years. Didn't think I'd ever say this but really miss the cooler weather despite the 11 months or so of winter

Thanks again, folks! Pics coming soon!
Lance M C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
This is called the "Burro Curse." The remedy is probably a bunch of cans of matte [b]green Krylon paint.

(Or not).

Olive Drab! That'll fix it!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:23 AM   #12

Trailer: 87 U-Haul CT13
Quote:
The swamp cooler on Ebay is a GREAT idea as its FOR SURE getting off the roof and outta there; the fan alone on "vent" is enough to drive ya crazy with that SCREAMING motor!!
That's one of the reasons I replaced mine with a Fantastic fan. The Fantastic fan is not only less noisy, it also moves more air. Good investment.
jasoncarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
yeah, pretty much what they all said. Keep the stuff for the next owner and dont cut into it.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 10:21 AM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul
Quote:
Well said, Jack. In some circles, there may be some value as a collector's item, but for most people, it's about the comfort factor. I've posted some of my mods before, but in summary, I've replaced the swamp cooler with a Fantastic Fan, replaced the ice box with a fridge, replaced the curtains, added an air conditioner, added the front dinette, and added a storage box on the rear bumper. I still have the original parts (including the original UHaul issue porta potty), which I have been considering putting on Ebay. In fact, I can fairly easily return the unit to pretty close to stock (especially the front dinette, which would take about 10 minutes to replace the bunks).

BTW Lance, I'd love to see you post some pictures of your rig!
speaking of storage box, were getting a U-haul next week but i use a mobility scooter, do you think the bumper would hold a mobility rack & scooter?
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 12:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
speaking of storage box, were getting a U-haul next week but i use a mobility scooter, do you think the bumper would hold a mobility rack & scooter?
I've only seen one U-Haul "in person", so I'm no expert, but their frames have come up in discussion here a number of times, and I'll offer a couple of points to consider.

My 17' Boler has straight frame rails of 2"x4" box-section steel which continue right to the rear bumper, so a platform installed there would be directly supported by the frame. In contrast, the U-Haul [b]bumper (like the round-tube loops that are visible at the front corners) is an additional structure, which reaches forward and ties into the main frame rails. While it looks very suitable (to me) for its intended purpose of protecting the trailer body, I don't think it was ever intended to support substantial weight.

A bigger concern is likely the [b]distribution of mass. I don't know how heavy this particular scooter might be, but with platform it will be a significant part of the trailer weight, and being located way out at the back would make a major difference to the distribution of load (weight) between the axle and hitch, and to the dynamic behaviour of the trailer. While people often add storage boxes to the back of trailers, on such a small trailer (especially a 13' U-Haul, but even the bigger ones) I think it is very likely too much.

Another possibility is in the [b]front. Many owners have extended the tongues of their trailers (usually other brands) to accommodate additional storage. This has serious implications as well, but if the tow vehicle can handle increased hitch weight, it might be a better solution. In the U-Haul, the bolt-on tongue is a unique opportunity to make an all-new tongue with scooter rack, designed for the load.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
u-haul, uhaul