Oliver self leveling jacks? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2007, 05:15 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Oliver has their photo gallery up on their website. Last time I looked it was not uploaded yet. Anyway, I was looking and wondering about their self leveling jacks. It shows three of them. Do I understand right that they will level the trailer both side to side and front to back? Or do then only level front to back only? People still have to use blocks under the tires. The jacks only touch the ground, not raising the trailer upward, right?

Anyone have any thought as to how much time this would save? I was thinking if the actuators are slow moving..... I can't see that much time being saved with leveling, compared to a trailer with one motorized front jack and two rear manual stands. But maybe I just don't understand the system yet. OF course, folks with a bad back, I can clearly see the Huge benefits. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
People still have to use blocks under the tires.
BLOCKS? No way. BAL leveler.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008 / Jeep Wrangler 2008 Unlimited
Ken C, My 08' Oliver has the electric jack system on it. I just love it ! The jacks will level the 17' Legacy in under one minute. While standing in one place, operating the switches and watching the bubble on the front jack. The best part is knowing that when the asphalt is sticky hot and you have a flat, the jacks will raise the tire clear of the ground so you can put on the spare. That means no burnt and raw knees, and less time on the side of the interstate highway with large trucks screaming by. The peace of mind that they provide is priceless. I had the 4" lift axle and 15" tires and wheels installed on the Oliver so I carry three wood blocks 4" high. I am not sure that I actually need them, so far I am just carrying them. You know, just in case. Possibly because I always have carried blocks of some kind. The jacks may actually eliminate the need for wheel chocks, I don't know, I an still carrying them too. I guess it is kind of like wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time. As time goes by I may have more storage space because I decide not to carry those extra items.
Anders Laurits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Oliver is using leveling (not just stabilizing) jacks like the big motorhomes. As Anders described, they do take over the support role from the suspension; they can do this without twisting the trailer because they are mounted close to the suspension, and presumably because the frame is relatively stiff. They are not actually the same model as used with the big rigs (that would be far too heavy); instead, the leveling jacks on each side are electrically driven screw jacks just like the one on the tongue.

With the load on the jacks, not on tires which can roll, I don't see any need for chocks.

I think it's a clever system.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
So are the two rear jacks wired into the front tong jack, all working in unison? Are there two independent switches you press one front to rear leveling the other side to side leveling? Or is there one switch you press with some with micro chip working all three jacks both front to rear and side to side all at the same time until the trailer is level automatically? Maybe there are three switches... one for each jack and to stand there togggling all three until you get level? Just trying to understand what a person gets for the thousand dollar classic upgrade. (yes i know the elite comes with this)
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:31 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008 / Jeep Wrangler 2008 Unlimited
The jacks are all operated from the front and each operates independent of the others so you can get the angle you need, ( it may be that level is not what you need, for example a tire change ).
There is a set of manual cranks and access ports for the jacks, for such times as the batterys may be low or something.
The switches are all located where you can level up using the bubble level on the tongue jack. At the same location, on the propane tank fiberglass housing, are the switches for other exterior lighting ( ground light led's, six of them, also two wide area coverage flood lights ) to be used during setup after dark or other chores.

EDIT: typo
Anders Laurits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oliver