First outing with the EggCamper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #1

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Well, we finally had a chance to actually use the new EggCamper. Took a trip to Gunnison for the VFW Colorado State Convention. Round trip 440 miles.

The kit buildout isn't complete yet (will it ever be?) but all the essentials are in place - (hot & cold running water, holding tanks and drains, propane for stove, furnace and water heater, roof vent and fan, 120V/12V electrical systems). Still have to put in cabinet doors and do a lot of finish work.

In case you haven't heard there are a lot of ups and downs to travel in Colorado. For this trip we had to climb to over 11,000ft three times each way. First there was the climb to the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70. Then over Fremont Pass to Leadville and finally Monarch Pass.

We stayed at the KOA in Gunnison and I highly recommend it as a destination campground. Didn't want to try boondocking since the on-board fresh water tank isn't connected yet. The goal was to have a place to stay during the convention and that's about all we did. Ate, slept and showered in the egg. Spent most of our time at convention activities.

The EggCamper sure attracts attention. Everywhere we stopped people came by to look and ask questions. When we came out of the Home Depot there were six people standing around the camper looking in the windows. A couple of folks asked if it was for sale. I think I'm going to get a bumper sticker that says "This one's taken, go buy your own."

Here are a couple of shots of the rig at Clinton Reservoir on Freemont Pass. My GPS registered 11,111 feet in this parking lot. Notice that there is still some snow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eggatclinton.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	14088

On top of Monarch Pass we saw a few day trippers out for a ride in their Pope automobiles. Note the manual parking brake behind the rear wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	daytrippers.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	14090

Anyway, now that we've made the initial trip plans are being made for more. Even a trip to Illinois to visit my dad at Christmas. At least there are no mountain passes between Golden and Illinois!
Attached Thumbnails
eggatclinton2.JPG  
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Cool pictures!!
I know what you mean about the mountain passes - my first trip after picking up the Escape from the factory was over the Rockies to Calgary and then back across on my way home.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper