Why's Escape doing so well??? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #61

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I have been in business all my life take my word for it those shows can rack up unbleiveable costs all going to your overhead. I respect the owners who chose to stay home and take care of their business.

I attempted this as a small owner and while you are away the mice will play so you lose on both ends. I have seen these activities ruin good businesses before long they are bankrupt or worse.

As far as I am concerned Scamper has the right idea put the money in their trailers keep the prices low to their market let all the others run their business they way they want!

bob
So what you are saying Bob is that every business owner who may want to take a short vacation to get away for a few days is making a mistake that could jeopardize their business. In my experience, if you surround yourself with competent people then they are not mice who are going to play because the cat is away. I would ask how you conclude what any business owner’s intentions are for taking (or not taking) a trip somewhere. And I hardly think the ownership principals of Eveland’s never take vacations.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #62

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
In this case it wasn't a trade show. It was an RV rally. And, Reace and Tammy combined business with pleasure because the rally stop was part of their vacation. Tammy's parents even came in another Escape, so they had a 5.0TA and a 21 to show at the rally. During the rally they probably wound up selling 8 to 10 units, so I fail to see how that could have hurt the bottom line.

As for attentiveness to their business needs, an issue did arise that meant their production staff was shorthanded. They left the rally early because of that, and were back at work at the factory (some 2250 miles away!) by Monday morning. No mice were playing.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #63

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
We're probably all guilty of implications in our posts that we don't come right out and say.

Steve seemed to be implying that "what does he care" if the owners come to rallies. Not necessarily that anyone is buying because of a coffee mug.

Personally, if a owner stands behind their product and goes out of their way to be a part of the community they've helped create, that does matter to me. In the Casita vs Scamp debate, depending on how you use your trailer, there isn't much difference. So an owner who shows they care, attends rallies etc. might make all the difference.

And of course it doesn't even need to be the owner. Send a good employee who can speak for the company and be personable, and the owners can stay home and mind the production (I don't say mind the business because outreach to your customers is minding the business).
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #64

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Williams View Post
Hi Alf, I wondered that myself, but after a visit from some new friends who just purchased a new (# 5) 19 ft Escape, I no longer wonder about it.

Ian & Jenny Eddy, of Vermont, are the lucky folks. I got to know them,by E mail, when I was looking for a Casita 17ft Liberty Deluxe, and they had theirs for sale. By the time I sold my Park Model in Arizona, so I would have money to buy one, they had just sold theirs. However, Jenny told me about the one in Mequite, NV that I ended up buying. This is more than you probably wanted to know but a bit of background,

Anyway, they were out in Colorado visiting their Son, on their initial trip after picking up the Escape, and they stopped by Aurora, CO so we could meet in person and see their new Escape. In short, I was blown away with the value and design of the trailer for the price. Jenny couldn't stop talking about the owners of Escape and how nice and accomadating they were to deal with. When you look at the price for a new 21 foot Bigfoot ( I had one for a couple of years so I know the trailers) and compare the value between the two, there needs to be no more discussion.

To sum it up, I would buy one of the Escapes like Eddy's in a heartbeat if I could afford it. It is definitely on my "sparkly" list.

BTW, the Eddy's are great people and we will certainly go out to visit them as soon as we can. He's a fine Blacksmith and you should check out his Web Site. Ian Eddy Blacksmith | Wrought Iron by Ian Eddy Blacksmith Studio

Regards,

Keith
Hi: Keith Williams... Ian and Jenny are now on their second Escape 19'er. They had no problem selling "Houdini" either.
Here's a pic of some of Ian's smithy work.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030809.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:00 AM   #65

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Personally, if a owner stands behind their product and goes out of their way to be a part of the community they've helped create, that does matter to me. So an owner who shows they care, attends rallies etc. might make all the difference.
I agree. Folks look forward to seeing them present their product, as well as get to meet them. I have spent lots of time now with Tammy and Reace. I consider them as friends (not unlike many others I have met at rallies) and not only enjoy their product, but their company (presence) too. "_
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Keith Williams... Ian and Jenny are now on their second Escape 19'er. They had no problem selling "Houdini" either.
Here's a pic of some of Ian's smithy work.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
I still have the mini fire poker Ian made for me in 2009. Handy little tool and easy to stow in the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #66

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Rallies are, by their nature, a celebration of enthusiasm for the product.
That implies an open invitation to the manufacturer to attend.
It is a great opportunity for the manufacturer to do research and get feedback, especially when a rally is largely make specific.

Make specific forums are also great places for the manufacturer to monitor, but maybe to resist participation.

Promotion by a manufacturer at mixed rallies can be effective but must be diplomatic. Oliver does that well without being offensive. Others just send promotional materials like hats and t-shirts which are always received well.

Hats, t-shirts and coffee mugs are great for advertising by providing owners with conversation starters, though very few would say... Gee!!! I got this swell mug I might as well buy the matching trailer!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:56 AM   #67

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
For some, the mug is half empty. For others, half full.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:32 AM   #68

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Hats, t-shirts and coffee mugs are great for advertising by providing owners with conversation starters, though very few would say... Gee!!! I got this swell mug I might as well buy the matching trailer!
I got a free (autographed at my request) hat from an unpaid ambassador for Scamp at the 2017 Florida Scamp Camp. I've admired this guy for a long time for his wit and wisdom here on the forum, and consider myself very fortunate to call him a good friend the past few years. Less than a week after I got the hat, I ordered a new Scamp 16 Deluxe, and can't wait to show it to him.

I wanted an Escape, but the free hat put me over the top for Scamp.

Merry Christmas to All no matter what brand you choose!

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_571.jpg  
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #69

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
I got a free (autographed at my request) hat from an unpaid ambassador for Scamp at the 2017 Florida Scamp Camp. I've admired this guy for a long time for his wit and wisdom here on the forum, and consider myself very fortunate to call him a good friend the past few years. Less than a week after I got the hat, I ordered a new Scamp 16 Deluxe, and can't wait to show it to him.

Tom
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:52 AM   #70

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
We're probably all guilty of implications in our posts that we don't come right out and say.

Steve seemed to be implying that "what does he care" if the owners come to rallies. Not necessarily that anyone is buying because of a coffee mug.

Personally, if a owner stands behind their product and goes out of their way to be a part of the community they've helped create, that does matter to me. In the Casita vs Scamp debate, depending on how you use your trailer, there isn't much difference. So an owner who shows they care, attends rallies etc. might make all the difference.

And of course it doesn't even need to be the owner. Send a good employee who can speak for the company and be personable, and the owners can stay home and mind the production (I don't say mind the business because outreach to your customers is minding the business).
It would seem that it all comes down to perception. Can anyone truly know what another is thinking?
Old 12-22-2017, 11:55 AM   #71

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
carl each of us are entitled to an opinion here including you. I respect yours why not respect mine?

pretty easy

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #72

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:

Tom
Holy Bat Crap!

That hat has to be invaluable. What a collector piece.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:04 PM   #73

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Nope, which is why it's best, if you care about these things, to try your best to be upfront, clear and honest.

Rather than vague, cagey, passive-aggressive or indirect.

The latter causes offense where none was intended, at best.

Often the worst possible intention is attributed to what someone says, which can tell as much about our self as the person we're interpreting...though some people, through their own actions, cause others to always assume the worst.

And no I'm not thinking of anyone here; just speaking in general.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:08 PM   #74

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Love the one you're with! A friend made me a shirt that fits my philosophy.
Attached Images

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #75

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
In this case it wasn't a trade show. It was an RV rally. And, Reace and Tammy combined business with pleasure because the rally stop was part of their vacation. Tammy's parents even came in another Escape, so they had a 5.0TA and a 21 to show at the rally. During the rally they probably wound up selling 8 to 10 units, so I fail to see how that could have hurt the bottom line.

As for attentiveness to their business needs, an issue did arise that meant their production staff was shorthanded. They left the rally early because of that, and were back at work at the factory (some 2250 miles away!) by Monday morning. No mice were playing.
Another "perk" for both the company & owners of Rease attending rallies is he gets direct feedback from owners (of his & other brands of trailers), and makes his customers happy by doing minor repairs & upgrades on trailers, often those well out of the 2 year warrantee period. He is always interested in modifications that customers have made to "his" trailers, and often adds the best of them to the current trailers, either as a standard feature or as an option.

As to keeping customers happy, for example, I had my 4 year old Escape 17B at a rally he attended, and asked him to price & send me a new door seal since mine was worn at the bottom. Instead, he came back later in the day with a harder rubber piece & replaced just the bottom section. It was still going strong when I sold the trailer last April. No charge, but when I sold the 17, I bought a 21...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #76

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
carl each of us are entitled to an opinion here including you. I respect yours why not respect mine?

pretty easy

bob
Bob,
First, thank you for certifying my entitlement to an opinion here. Is this your full time belief or is it based in seasonal benevolence? LOL! (I’m joking, so please don’t take offense.)

Lighten up a bit. Please read my post again. For one thing, your post did not seem to be written in an “in my opinion” tone, it was more like “this is how it is.” But even so, I try not to criticize other people’s opinions. I was merely asking you to clarify if you were stating that business owners should be confined to their place of business out of fear that if they leave temporarily their business will not survive. Merely a question, not a criticism.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:20 PM   #77

Florida
Registry
Quote:

Tom
Tom. All that sounds quite mysterious to me. But what it tells me is you should be more careful of the company you keep!

But seriously, I like the Scamp Rep from the Land of Lincoln, too. I will admit to a bit of jealousy, however. He never gave me a hat, autographed or otherwise.
Old 12-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #78

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Tom. All that sounds quite mysterious to me. But what it tells me is you should be more careful of the company you keep!

But seriously, I like the Scamp Rep from the Land of Lincoln, too. I will however admit to a bit of jealousy, however. He never gave me a hat, autographed or otherwise.
Hi Carl! Can't wait to get back down there, sit around the campfire with you guys, and solve all of life's problems and mysteries. I'll sit between you and the aforementioned Scamp Rep to keep the peace.

Joanne said to tell you and Gail Merry Christmas!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:07 PM   #79

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Another "perk" for both the company & owners of Rease attending rallies is he gets direct feedback from owners (of his & other brands of trailers), and makes his customers happy by doing minor repairs & upgrades on trailers, often those well out of the 2 year warrantee period.
So true! Reace fixed my fridge light at that rally, by cannibalizing his - even though it was a Dometic warranty issue and not Escape. Didn't even know until my wife told me. He's the kind of guy you want to do business with.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #80

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Free Door seal? Scamp exchanged out a whole trailer for a new one. Over a small roof sag on top in the archives here, i'm sure Floyd remembers that.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape