Why an egg?... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Why an egg?...

Why do I own my egg? I'm a 'Have my cake and eat it too...' kind of guy. I love to travel and I'm... thrifty. I just returned from my fall trip to Florida; 4,000 miles to Fort Myers and back to New Brunswick. Since buying my Trillium this July I have towed it over 10,000 miles behind my Jetta. I met many RV'ers while boondocking along the way this trip. I had an interesting exchange with a fellow from Ontario. Parked side by side, he by his Suburban and hooked to a medium sized trailer he looked at my rig and said " How cute..." I smiled back and said "Fridge, stove, furnace, toilet, closet, double bed... and I'm averaging 23 miles per US gallon." His jaw dropped and he replied " I wish".
While in Florida I was able to park my egg in a friends driveway. I paid for a few restaurant meals in return. I paid no highway tolls on the trip south and just $1.50 crossing the Newburgh, NY bridge across the Hudson on my return. (Just a northbound toll). Avoiding the tolls by traveling through a few towns allowed for a change from boring interstate travel and also finding open Wifi signals for checking email and making free internet phone calls.
I stopped at Cabelas and picked up a Coleman camp oven. (I read about them here). You know your in a big store when, after walking around for awhile, I walked into the fishing department and they had a real float plane hanging from the ceiling that couldn't be seen until you get to that area. Wow.
2 weeks in the sun, fantastic sights along the way, and back home with a few bucks still in my pocket... Ya gotta luv it. Smile. Now I'll wait until February for another break for the heat.
Cheers,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Barrie Bochoff... I think the news reporter Kurault said it best. "The US. interstate highway system allows Americans to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything!!!"
Even with our "Big Rig" we get 17-20 mpg. That leaves some leftover change to do things.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
More reasons to love a glass egg

. . . plus, no seams to leak, no rubber roof to maintain, no delamination, can pull a u-turn on a two lane road, can park and maneuver around in most parking lots, can enter and exit most gas stations without lengthy and nerve-wracking reconnaisance, etc, etc. I wish I had discovered Casitas years ago (pre 35' MH). And, as a bonus, small fiberglass rigs come standard with a built-in, friendly, supportive, knowledgeable, helpful, owners group. And, besides, "they're soooo CUTE". (the trailers . . . not the owners!) The owners are all ruggedly handsome or beatifully winsome! Right, dear? (She-who-must-be-obeyed is looking over my shoulder.)

A Jetta? WOW. No kidding. (is it a diesel?)
WtMtJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WtMtJim View Post
. . . plus, no seams to leak, no rubber roof to maintain, no delamination, can pull a u-turn on a two lane road, can park and maneuver around in most parking lots, can enter and exit most gas stations without lengthy and nerve-wracking reconnaisance, etc, etc. I wish I had discovered Casitas years ago (pre 35' MH). And, as a bonus, small fiberglass rigs come standard with a built-in, friendly, supportive, knowledgeable, helpful, owners group. And, besides, "they're soooo CUTE". (the trailers . . . not the owners!) The owners are all ruggedly handsome or beatifully winsome! Right, dear? (She-who-must-be-obeyed is looking over my shoulder.)

A Jetta? WOW. No kidding. (is it a diesel?)
So true... No, the Jetta is gas. Absolutely no trouble pulling the egg. My Trillium has a full axle and springs and I installed brakes with a controller by the 5 speed shifter; can stop on a... quarter.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #5

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Because regular RV dealers don't like us.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
Why do I own my egg? I'm a 'Have my cake and eat it too...' kind of guy. I love to travel and I'm... thrifty.
Cheers,
Barrie
I got a trailer to supplement my hunt test/field trial retriever training hobby.

I became interested in fiberglass trailers when I spotted a Casita on the Fry way several years ago (a plastic Airstream! ). I did spend a great deal of time researching fiberglass trailers - that is how I found this site.

I never seriously considered a 13 foot trailer - I am a comfort creature. But I did like the Casita 17. However, my husband wanted something wider than a Casita.

We ended up getting a '92 Bigfoot 19 last year. I wanted the extra 2 feet for ... my husband and my dogs. I liked the 4 burner stove and oven, the marine bathroom, the front dinette and gaucho couch. I will be doing a great deal of winter training and I realized that the 4 season Bigfoot would best meet my needs. Plus, I wanted a smallish trailer that I could pull solo with ease.

Last spring I made a extended, solo trip through the rockies from Colorado to Spokane, then back down to California. This is exactly why I bought the trailer. The trip was a great success. I learned so much about trailer camping (I mostly boon docked). And I loved staying in the trailer.

But I must report that this has not been particularly good for my budget.

First of all, the Bigfoot cost me more than the used stick trailer I was considering (a 2007 Pioneer Spirit 19'). I have no idea about the difference in gas milage, but .... I would have gotten newer appliances and built in audio system.

I did expect to have maintenance issues since it is an older trailer, but hoped they could be spread out over 2-3 year period. No way ... had to fix the refrigerator's coolant system, replace the charger, replace the battery, and repair a leak in the rooftop AC unit.

But as far as gas milage is concerned ... maybe better than that stick trailer ...

As far as hotel savings ... great, except a rooftop AC unit leak (discovered during a rain storm the morning of my planned departure) prevented me from taking it to the Master National Retriever Invitational Hunt Test, a week long event. So, I ended up paying for motel plus 3 meals a day! And, I missed staying in my trailer.

The one thing that I truly regret about this trailer: it lacks an audio system. Currently, I using an old 12 volt radio. I'd love to install speakers and a "head unit" to use with my I-pod and a (not yet purchased) TV/DVD. But the installation is expensive, and my "entertainment" budget keeps being waylaid by these maintenance issues.

I also need to talk my husband into helping me restore the gelcoat.

Now, I do not bring this up to complain per se. I am so happy I have this Bigfoot - it's funky and cute, it suits my personality and it works for me. But a used fiberglass trailer is not all that thrifty. It's not necessarily all that comfy.

I know that half the fun is modifying the trailer to suit your needs, but that needs to be added to the cost of the trailer. I am not that handy, and I want the trailer the help me with my hobby, I do not want the trailer to become my hobby. Although I am able to do some maintenance on my own, I needed expert help to diagnose and fix most of the problems I have encountered.

Having said all this, I am putting together my annual maintenance plan so that I can get back on the road in January and February! Can't wait to see what next year's training trips will be like.
Old 11-19-2010, 02:41 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: Barrie Bochoff... I think the news reporter Kurault said it best. "The US. interstate highway system allows Americans to travel from coast to coast without seeing anything!!!"
Even with our "Big Rig" we get 17-20 mpg. That leaves some leftover change to do things.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
One of my favorite quotes (and TV spots), but he stole the quote from John Steinbeck: "When we get these thruways across the whole country, as we will and must, it will be possible to drive from New York to California without seeing a single thing."
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #8

Name: Bill & Kathy
Trailer: 16' Casita Spirit Deluxe
North Idaho
Registry
So true about the Interstate Highway system. You can say you've been to a state without even having put a foot on the ground. LOL It's kind of like air travel. You can say you've been to a state but never left the airport changing planes.

Back-roads and byways make life more enjoyable.
The Schneiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:17 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WtMtJim View Post
. . . The owners are all ruggedly handsome or beatifully winsome! Right, dear? (She-who-must-be-obeyed is looking over my shoulder.)
Shouldn't that be "winsomely beautiful" ? (As per my SWMBO ).

There is no such thing as an all black cat.
Tom U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post

But I must report that this has not been particularly good for my budget.

First of all, the Bigfoot cost me more than the used stick trailer I was considering (a 2007 Pioneer Spirit 19'). I have no idea about the difference in gas milage, but .... I would have gotten newer appliances and built in audio system.

I did expect to have maintenance issues since it is an older trailer, but hoped they could be spread out over 2-3 year period. No way ... had to fix the refrigerator's coolant system, replace the charger, replace the battery, and repair a leak in the rooftop AC unit.

But as far as gas milage is concerned ... maybe better than that stick trailer ...

As far as hotel savings ... great, except a rooftop AC unit leak (discovered during a rain storm the morning of my planned departure) prevented me from taking it to the Master National Retriever Invitational Hunt Test, a week long event. So, I ended up paying for motel plus 3 meals a day! And, I missed staying in my trailer.

Now, I do not bring this up to complain per se. I am so happy I have this Bigfoot - it's funky and cute, it suits my personality and it works for me. But a used fiberglass trailer is not all that thrifty. It's not necessarily all that comfy.
Hi Jane,
So sorry to here about your negative experience.
The 'thrift' in my post refers to the fact I can pull my 13' egg with a 4 cylinder Jetta. Pulling a 19' trailer with a Tahoe is what I'm avoiding. I'm doing basic camping with limited creature comforts; no A/C, no radio or TV etc. Good luck with your renovations.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 11-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
My Trillium has a full axle and springs
So maybe my half axle is what's dragging my mileage down?
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Hi Jane,
So sorry to here about your negative experience.
The 'thrift' in my post refers to the fact I can pull my 13' egg with a 4 cylinder Jetta. Pulling a 19' trailer with a Tahoe is what I'm avoiding. I'm doing basic camping with limited creature comforts; no A/C, no radio or TV etc. Good luck with your renovations.
Cheers,
Barrie
Thank you Berrie.

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, and really appreciated your post.

I'm not sure I had a totally negative experience. (Well, having to leave it at home during the Master Nationals was a bad bit of luck!) But it is what it is: I do like my creature comforts, and am paying for them.

Overall, I love the time I am having with my Bigfoot and this forum. If only I had unlimited time and money ...

Berrie, I hope you have a great year with your Trillium. Maybe we'll pass each other on some back road in the middle of the country.

And let me join in with the other posters - a Jetta, really?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Hi Jane - sorry to hear you did not get to use your tailer when you most wanted to. I see yours is the same age as mine. As such they do start to need a few things redone so they can last another 20 years without problems. Mine needed the roof vents and a window resealed last year. Suspect this spring I am going to redo a few other things before it actually leaks, Through this form I was able to learn that fixing it myself was not really hard at all (including pulling out and putting a window back in) or at least no where near as bad as I thought it might be. Just ask here for help and I am sure you can avoid some of the expensive help.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Thank you Berrie.

Berrie, I hope you have a great year with your Trillium. Maybe we'll pass each other on some back road in the middle of the country.

And let me join in with the other posters - a Jetta, really?
Hi again Jane,
I retired after 35 years in the trucking industry. Safety is a primary issue. The Jetta has ample power to pull my egg. The Trillium is incredibly well balanced with just the right amount of tongue weight. With the brakes on the egg the stopping ability is fantastic. I have never had any sway while towing it. Last November I towed my motorcycle to Florida and back with the Jetta and towing the Trillium this year was, by far, an easier trip.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 11-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Hi again Jane,
I retired after 35 years in the trucking industry. Safety is a primary issue. The Jetta has ample power to pull my egg. The Trillium is incredibly well balanced with just the right amount of tongue weight. With the brakes on the egg the stopping ability is fantastic. I have never had any sway while towing it. Last November I towed my motorcycle to Florida and back with the Jetta and towing the Trillium this year was, by far, an easier trip.
Cheers,
Barrie
Hey Barrie,

I didn't mean to suggest that the Jetta is unsafe with your Trillium. I was trying my hand at some humor. I interpreted the previous quotes regarding your Jetta as a lighthearted bit of envy -- that you could have such a nice SUV pulling your rig. Lucky guy!

I seem to be putting my foot in my mouth in this thread. Sorry about that.

Getting ready to have some wine while waiting for dinner.
So ... Cheers back at you!

JMP
Old 11-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Hi Jane - sorry to hear you did not get to use your tailer when you most wanted to. I see yours is the same age as mine. As such they do start to need a few things redone so they can last another 20 years without problems. Mine needed the roof vents and a window resealed last year. Suspect this spring I am going to redo a few other things before it actually leaks, Through this form I was able to learn that fixing it myself was not really hard at all (including pulling out and putting a window back in) or at least no where near as bad as I thought it might be. Just ask here for help and I am sure you can avoid some of the expensive help.
Thanks for the thoughts. I plan to reseal my windows next month. I'd love to learn how to do that stuff myself ... save money for my travels.

It is good to know that it isn't all that hard!

Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:57 PM   #17

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
While not nearly as handy as many of the ladies on this forum, I also have replaced the ceiling vent myself, put up a new headliner, and just installed my own awning rail. The hardest part was deciding to (ooooo!) drill holes in my shell!! I'm not so much into creature comforts (i.e. electronics and plumbing) as I am getting away from the ratrace. I figure that the more stuff I have on the trailer, the more things I have to fix/maintain. So I chose simple (13 footer with stove/sink/portapotty). But I also cannot easily shower unless I am in a campground with facilities, so it's a tradeoff and that's fine with me. Its nice that there is so much to choose from in these little FG packages, eh?? and so much FUN!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:53 AM   #18

Quote:
Hey Barrie,

I didn't mean to suggest that the Jetta is unsafe with your Trillium. I was trying my hand at some humor. I interpreted the previous quotes regarding your Jetta as a lighthearted bit of envy -- that you could have such a nice SUV pulling your rig. Lucky guy!

I seem to be putting my foot in my mouth in this thread. Sorry about that.

Getting ready to have some wine while waiting for dinner.
So ... Cheers back at you!

JMP
No offense taken at all Jane. A few more creature comforts would be nice for sure. I'm not as concerned with the esthetics as some and also have a few issues to attend to. I re-caulked the windows before my trip south and thought I had resolved a leak problem with my front window. Apparently, with no rock shield, the force of the wind on the slat windows must allow the rain to seep in and on my first day south through a rainy Maine I found my front bench soaked. After drying the foam pad in Georgia I just moved it to the back of the trailer when I hit the road and put a towel on the front bench in case it rains while driving. I don't have any leaks when just parked. I'll figure it out at some point. I'm sure we all have issues with the oldies.
Again, good luck with yours. Enjoy.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #19

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Well, here's one reason why not not-an-egg:

sleeping beauty update!! What's this??? - iRV2 Forums

Scroll down past the big banner if you're not a member.

Tags
eggcamper