advice re. electric brakes for U-Haul CT-13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2011, 10:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
advice re. electric brakes for U-Haul CT-13

Hi there,
So this is a split from the thread about which car I should buy for city driving that morphed into a discussion about electric brakes.

So....... I will be putting electric brakes on my U-Haul CT-13. Anyone done this? Have advice as to what I should buy? A whole new axle from Dexter?
I have a knowledgeable rv mechanic who has worked on fiberglass before but not on a U-Haul. I am open to the board's advice.

(Oh, I will be towing with a 2010 Volvo C30)

Thanks in advance,
Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Bridget
If you have a mechanic you trust, I'd leave it to him to decide if you need a whole new axle, but if your axle's in good shape....
I don't know your wheel size, but here's an example of a Dexter brake assembly that can be purchased online atProducts tagged with 'Electric Brake' |Trailer Parts Online Store
Installation is fairly simple- I'd think it shouldn't take more than an hour or two of Shop Time.

Francesca

Electric Brake 10"x2.25" Right Dexter Nev-R-Adjust,3.5K
$49.99
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Bridget,

I believe that you will need to also replace your wheel rims, due to the proprietary Uhaul rims.

This is something that I think I would like us to do someday in the future, so that we don't have to experience the fear of broken proprietary parts while on the road. It happened to us once when our hub blew, but we just happened to find a Uhaul dealer who fixed trailers and who happened to have two hubs in his remaining inventory (dealers are no longer allowed to keep parts, according to him).

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Hi Cindy,
The previous owner actually did something (he worked on cars a lot) that allowed him to change the wheels. So I don't have U-Haul wheels.
I attached a photo that shows a wheel (which I think is rather ugly but has gotten compliments at rallies).
I was thinking of just getting a new axle along with the brakes - a get it done once type of thing.

If I do that I will put aside the old axle in case anyone wants it.

Bridget

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Bridget,

I believe that you will need to also replace your wheel rims, due to the proprietary Uhaul rims.

This is something that I think I would like us to do someday in the future, so that we don't have to experience the fear of broken proprietary parts while on the road. It happened to us once when our hub blew, but we just happened to find a Uhaul dealer who fixed trailers and who happened to have two hubs in his remaining inventory (dealers are no longer allowed to keep parts, according to him).

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
Screen shot 2011-06-06 at 3.24.32 PM.jpg  
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
That is good. I love your CT's name.
Our VT has surge brakes that the hubby is working on right now.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
You will need an electric brake drum kit. It's going to cost about $230.00+ shipping for the pair.
I've ordered several brake kits and 2 drum kits from NorthernTool.com.
I live in California and their prices, including shipping, is less expensive than I can find locally. They're a great company to deal with.
You axel is 26 Y.O.. If you need an axel you would be better of getting an axel with brakes.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have been reminded that U Haul is a different breed of trailer with unique parts.
You may not find add on brake kits for your trailer unless it comes from directly from U Haul.
The most economical way to add brakes may be to change your 26 YO axle for a new one with brakes.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes, u-haul