Front window replacement on U haul CT13 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: uhaul 13
Wisconsin
Front window replacement on U haul CT13

Has anyone replaced the front window on a U haul CT 13? I think it is called the glazing, is in bad shape. Water is seeping in. Does anyone know which glazing would work?

Thanks, Daman
daman4799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 09:19 AM   #2

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by daman4799 View Post
Has anyone replaced the front window on a U haul CT 13? I think it is called the glazing, is in bad shape. Water is seeping in. Does anyone know which glazing would work?

Thanks, Daman
How about did anyone replace the whole window, frame and all?

Thanks, Daman
Old 07-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Before you replace the entire window, there have been numerous people that have replaced the felt inside the window tracks, as well as the gasket that goes around the window to stop leaks. That may be all you need (and be a lot cheaper than a new custom window).
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 PM   #4

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Before you replace the entire window, there have been numerous people that have replaced the felt inside the window tracks, as well as the gasket that goes around the window to stop leaks. That may be all you need (and be a lot cheaper than a new custom window).
Hi Pam,

Thanks for replying. I already did the side windows and the rear with the felt and gasket. My problem is the small rubber that wraps around the edge. There is a piece about 2 inches missing at the bottom. I know the window was replaced with plexiglass once before. The window I think was tempered glass new.

Later, Daman
Old 07-05-2011, 03:06 AM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I don't remember reading about a UH owner replacing the front window on this forum but there have been other trailer brands that have done it. You might try also at the UHaul forum for some words of wisdom.
Several people have ordered custom windows from Hehr and are happy with the quality. Hehr International
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
UHaul window replacement

On an old note, last year someone posted a "HOW TO" series for removing and the replacement of the rubber and felt channels on the windows of an UHaul CT 13. A "Windows for dummies 101" if you please. They supplied "step by step" instructions with pictures. Utilizing my usual organizational traits, I've managed to lose those instructions. I believe it was supplied by one of our lady members. CindyL? Raya? Bridget T? I can't remember. After 7 months in a shop supposedly getting new windows installed, I got my egg back and all that was accomplished was one window being removed. Does anyone remember where the thread is?

Thanks,

Marty D
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #7

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Here you go guys and gals
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42722.html
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...dow-43188.html
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I already did the side and rear windows. If you follow the directions in the two post you should have no problems. The rusted screws are sometimes hard to remove. Wish someone did the front!

Later, Daman
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Have you posted on uhaulcamper.com? Maybe someone over there might help. I don't recall a posting about it, but maybe you can find someone who might have insight.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:28 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul
SE Pennsylvania
I replaced mine

My front window glass (non-opening) was shattered by something on a trip about 6 years ago.

I replaced it with 1/8" thick polycarbonate, abrasion-resistant, with a slight tint. I bought it from McMaster, this is it I believe: McMaster-Carr

The rubber molding was re-useable (at least I don't recall buying any). Butyl caulk made a water-tight seal. (Lots of other places on this trailer still leak though!)

I used stainless steel screws for the inside retainer frame, and if I recall correctly, I went one size larger diameter because many of the original screws were stripped out. I also painted the frame while it was out. Looks nice.

The polycarbonate has held up well so far. I don't wash it a lot but I see no scratching. The trailer is stored outside though I see no signs of deterioration due to sun exposure.

It is possible that you could slightly stretch the rubber molding during installation to close the gap in the bottom.

This was not a difficult job.

Craig T.
Craig D. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Thanks Craig,
Looks like this is my only option unless I replace with a whole different window. I will probably give it a try in the next week or so. Wedding to go to this weekend so no time to play (LOL).

Later, Jim
Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Thank you! I knew it was out there, just couldn't find the thread. With one window already out, it should be easy to look at it and take the other one out. Now to find a suppier for the parts that Bridget used and I'll be ready to go at it.

Marty D
Old 07-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #13

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty D View Post
Thank you! I knew it was out there, just couldn't find the thread. With one window already out, it should be easy to look at it and take the other one out. Now to find a suppier for the parts that Bridget used and I'll be ready to go at it.

Marty D
Hey Marty,

Did you get your supplies ordered yet? If you need any help when you get started just yell.

Later, Daman
Old 07-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #14

window supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by daman4799 View Post
Hey Marty,

Did you get your supplies ordered yet? If you need any help when you get started just yell.

Later, Daman
Hi Daman,

They are on order and should be in sometime next week. Can't hardly wait to get started on the windows. I had the trailer in a shop to install new windows, and after 7 months, all they had gotten done was take the door side window out. Looking at the window, it doesn't appear that it will be too difficult of a job to do. I soon shall see. Did you use the same parts that Bridget T used? I've tried to get a hold of her to see how her repairs have held up this past year. I think I saw that you also replace your rear window. How difficult was that? I read that it was "clamped in" instead of being held in by rubber like the side windows? Did you have to order special parts for that? I'll let you know how it goes. Once I can get the windows finished, I can get the egg painted to match my truck.
Thanks for the offer of help. I can always use......help!

Marty D.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #15

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty D View Post
Hi Daman,

They are on order and should be in sometime next week. Can't hardly wait to get started on the windows. I had the trailer in a shop to install new windows, and after 7 months, all they had gotten done was take the door side window out. Looking at the window, it doesn't appear that it will be too difficult of a job to do. I soon shall see. Did you use the same parts that Bridget T used? I've tried to get a hold of her to see how her repairs have held up this past year. I think I saw that you also replace your rear window. How difficult was that? I read that it was "clamped in" instead of being held in by rubber like the side windows? Did you have to order special parts for that? I'll let you know how it goes. Once I can get the windows finished, I can get the egg painted to match my truck.
Thanks for the offer of help. I can always use......help!

Marty D.
Hey Marty,

I did do the rear window. I used the same felt that was used on the side windows. I also replaced all my bug strips on all windows. The only thing I think you will need different for the rear is butyl tape. Some of my screws on rear window were a little stubborn.

Later, Jim

Tags
uhaul