'85 uHaul CT - New Campers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-31-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: UHAUL
Tennessee
Smile '85 uHaul CT - New Campers

So this is our first foray into owning a camper and would really like to get feedback on what others have done to 'tweak' their campers. We originally got it for 2k, and think that we probably paid a bit too much. It definitely needs some work. Here are some preliminary pictures.
spudfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome to FiberglassRV

You'll find lots of information about things folks have done in the Modifications forum.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
you didnt pay too much also thats a Ct not a Vt Vt's are longer by about 3 feet
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #4

Tennessee
Haha! Bruce... Told you we were new at this thanks for the correction! We have a lot to learn!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Hi spur. You actually got a good deal. You might want to check out Home too. Not nearly as much activity but lots of good info.

Welcome.

CindyL. (I do have a VT.)
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudfriend View Post
Haha! Bruce... Told you we were new at this thanks for the correction! We have a lot to learn!
whats that board doing laying against the camper? Getting ready to do some mods?....looks like a good camper.....again, you got a good deal....Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #7

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Looks in great shape, I also have a CT-13 and you got a great deal, I paid about double that for mine. You can view my posts in my profile and see some of the mods I have done to mine. They are all a bit different with previous owners mods and such. BTW, we need a lot more pictures of the inside. You've got a little fixing up to do but the price you paid seems about right for a fixer upper, mine didn't NEED anything to drastic, it was ready to camp in. I did later find out the frame needed some repairing (rusted out in a couple spots) so make sure you check your undercarriage really good for rust too. But other than that mine was in great shape and the previous owners mods are just what I wanted, with a few of my own.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #8

Tennessee
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
Looks in great shape, I also have a CT-13 and you got a great deal, I paid about double that for mine. You can view my posts in my profile and see some of the mods I have done to mine. They are all a bit different with previous owners mods and such. BTW, we need a lot more pictures of the inside. You've got a little fixing up to do but the price you paid seems about right for a fixer upper, mine didn't NEED anything to drastic, it was ready to camp in. I did later find out the frame needed some repairing (rusted out in a couple spots) so make sure you check your undercarriage really good for rust too. But other than that mine was in great shape and the previous owners mods are just what I wanted, with a few of my own.
Hey Panoz77, thanks for the help and direction. I've posted a lot more pictures over here: Thinking Space, hopefully they give a bit more insight into what we're working with. I hope to look at the mods you've suggested. Thanks!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #9

Registry
Looks like a project that will take some work but is doable. Be aware that parts for the Uhaul are proprietary, so if you go to buy things like new rims, it gets a little more complicated, but they can be found. Several owners have changed their Uhaul proprietary parts to Dexter.

And sorry I called you spur. I meant to type spud, but I was on my cell and did not see it.

I am sure you will love your CT. It is even fun to fix them up. Usually anyway, although I do the decorating, so maybe the hubby might not have the same opinion.

CindyL
Old 08-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft ('Lil Eggo')
Uhaul Mods

Hi Spud - you actually got a great deal, esp. for this area of the country - we paid a little more than you did, and ours needed a lot of fixing. Yours looks a LOT better on the outside - pretty original. I've done almost everything to ours - the hardest thing was the converter - but once I figured out how to do it, it turned out great! We were also able to obtain a spare wheel and tire from Uhaul here in Asheville - they actually still sell one to fit the camper. We're fairly close to you in Asheville, NC, so if you need some info, just give a shout!
Sharon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #11

Tennessee
Uhaul mods, thanks, I'm not sure if we have to mess with the converter or not, although I don't know what it's for or what it looks like or where to look in the camper for it. We worked on the header quite a bit this week. I have some pictures I hope to post in the next day or so.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #12

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
I have no clue how my electrical system works, I know it has a battery fed by a trickle charger, but how the AC feeds the DC or what it goes through in mine I have no clue, I'll have to go take a look at it. I don't even have a fuse box, but it all works.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
I have no clue how my electrical system works, I know it has a battery fed by a trickle charger, but how the AC feeds the DC or what it goes through in mine I have no clue, I'll have to go take a look at it. I don't even have a fuse box, but it all works.
hey James,

not sure how late to the party i am, but if your UHaul's electric has not been redone, you might find some help in the document center - it has the parts and repair manuals which were a huge help to me when i first got my CT 13'.

Fiberglass RV - Document Center - U-Haul

good luck!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 07:43 AM   #14

Uhaul - converter

The converter basically converts AC electric to DC for your lights, etc. It also charges the battery. Our converter was located underneath the bench at the back of the camper on the left side. I would definitely check this and your battery out before your first trip. Basically intall the new battery (if needed) and plug in the camper with the plug on the side. The little battery minder on the bottom of the closet with let you know if the battery is charging. We had to buy a new battery (underneath the center back bench) and it seemed to work well for a couple of months. Then, when we were on a camping trip, the converter started "buzzing" LOUDLY, (this seems to be the case with the old ones when they die) and we had to basically unplug to get it to stop - we happened to be leaving just about that time anyway... I seem to remember I went with a 20 amp WFCO (less than $50) but I basically just gutted the case of the old one and intalled it inside the old case utilizing the existing fuse circuit, etc. It has worked GREAT for 5 years now, and is so quiet you can't hear it at all. I hope you don't have to do this, but if it hasn't already been done, you will eventually. I'll help any way I can - I'm very handy at a LOT of things, but electricity is not one of them. It took me a while and a lot of research to figure out how it works, and how to replace it without spending a fortune. If you look under the back bench, take a snapshot and post it, we can tell if its been replaced... Hope this helps a little...it takes a while to figure out these little campers, but they're really not too complicated, once you get into them and tinker around a little...
Old 08-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #15

Tennessee
Ok I've taken some shots. I took a shot of the batter compartment, the converter (I think), the battery capacity, and the outlet where the external power cord comes into the camper to the single outlet. We have planned to plug in a small fridge and portableAC unit, but don't know if it'll work or not... None of the wiring looks like it's bad.
Attached Thumbnails
image-3493147901.jpg   image-33017940.jpg  

image-3868910148.jpg   image-1064140091.jpg  

image-1815867176.jpg  
Old 08-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #16

Tennessee
Smile Rims.. yeah

Actually would like to get some rims, just don't know where to start looking. It did seem lots of things are proprietary, and that you just have to get something to work. Thanks for the tip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Looks like a project that will take some work but is doable. Be aware that parts for the Uhaul are proprietary, so if you go to buy things like new rims, it gets a little more complicated, but they can be found. Several owners have changed their Uhaul proprietary parts to Dexter.

And sorry I called you spur. I meant to type spud, but I was on my cell and did not see it.

I am sure you will love your CT. It is even fun to fix them up. Usually anyway, although I do the decorating, so maybe the hubby might not have the same opinion.

CindyL
Old 08-10-2011, 07:58 PM   #17

Registry
Uhaul still sells rims that fit unless they recently quit doing that. We bought ours from Uhaul. You just have to find a willing Uhaul dealer. Some of us have and then others have refused and told the would-be buyer that his trailer must be stolen, since Uhaul never sells off their trailers.
The new rims are a bit different though. We have a set of the original Uhaul wheel covers that we can't use with the new rims.

Good luck with your dealer.

CindyL
Old 08-12-2011, 07:00 AM   #18

Rims

Rims - Check with your Uhaul dealers - it seems some of them are more knowledgable and willing to help on these campers than others...I ended up talking to the manager and he said that the same size wheel fits some of their rental trailers. If you can't find them down in TN - the Uhaul in Asheville on Swannanoa River Rd. has them - (camping trip!!) I got a new rim and tire and think I paid under $100 about 3 years ago and it fits perfectly. I mounted it on the back bumper as a spare. If you'd like - I can check and make sure they still sell them and get current price here.

It seems that your converter has been replaced - doesn't look anything like my old one - so hopefully its wired and working correctly.

Looks like the original breaker/plug has been replaced with a regular one - not real sure how this will affect the electrical - if at all. I think that perhaps the replaced converter may have breaker/fuses on it...?

Another note - Our camper already had an air conditioner mounted on the roof when we purchased it, but it was not run through the campers regular electrical system. The prior owners had basically just pulled the wire and plug straight from the AC and run it between the double shell behind the cabinet, behind the stove and out through the same hole outside as the regular plug-in, and so we actually have 2 plugs to plug in (if we want regular power AND AC) I'm not sure that the camper electrical will carry a AC, but you can plug it in and see...you might blow a fuse on the converter...? Perhaps someone else on this forum that knows more about electric /wiring may be able to chime in here...

Does it still have the solar panel charger on top and wired in on the side of the battery case?

Quote:
Actually would like to get some rims, just don't know where to start looking. It did seem lots of things are proprietary, and that you just have to get something to work. Thanks for the tip...
Old 08-12-2011, 11:40 AM   #19

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I dont think you paid too much. It looks rather nice.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
uhaul

Quote:
Ok I've taken some shots. I took a shot of the batter compartment, the converter (I think), the battery capacity, and the outlet where the external power cord comes into the camper to the single outlet. We have planned to plug in a small fridge and portableAC unit, but don't know if it'll work or not... None of the wiring looks like it's bad.
Hi: Spud: great looking camper. My electrical looks a lot worse, I'm sure you'l be OK. I think I saw a slideshow of your photos and got distracted. Can you direct me to them? thanks h.mike P.S. I have tried way too many Uhaul phone numbers and leads trying for a rim. I did'nt have any luck that way. ended up buying an entire axle with wheels. Keep your eyes open and look in the " for sale, trade or free' category on this forum. Mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul