New old stock uhaul side windows - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #61

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I just ordered a set of passenger sides also. Will see how I can make it work on driver side, or maybe I'll be able to adapt parts or something. Winter project. They say that they have about 30 windows left.....

A group of us should go together to order the window gasket. Maybe we can work that out?

Tom, many many thanks to you for letting us all know about this. I luv the sharing and caring on this site!!!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #62

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I just ordered a set of passenger sides also. Will see how I can make it work on driver side, or maybe I'll be able to adapt parts or something. Winter project. They say that they have about 30 windows left................
I'm trying to remember if there is a way to disassemble the window and put it back together to get a mirror twin. It may be obvious when you get to looking at it.

Quote:
..........A group of us should go together to order the window gasket. Maybe we can work that out?.............
Looks like Jack Walter already ordered too much. Maybe he will put you on his list.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #63

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Pam: I would just put the new window in the driver side, the glass will just slide in the opposite direction. And you'll have the old window to rebuild at your leisure if you want.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #64

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Drivers side window will be fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Pam: I would just put the new window in the driver side, the glass will just slide in the opposite direction. And you'll have the old window to rebuild at your leisure if you want.
Mr. Bob,
Great advice for Ms.Pam, et all! They probably will be just fine and no one will know the difference. I should get mine in several days and looking forward to it!
Now, please bring on those NOS tail light lenses...
Old 09-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #65

Quote:
I agree. Looking at it closer, I think you'd have to move the divider bar and drill new holes to reverse the slide direction or flip the window upside down and drill new drain holes. In either case probably more hassle than it is worth.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #66

New York
Now, please bring on those NOS tail light lenses...[/QUOTE]
This window deal shows that you never know what is sitting on some back shelf in a parts room, or in some warehouse and forgotten about. But what's sad to think about is, what got thrown away when it was no longer needed at the time. I needed an obsolete International truck part several years ago, and had to call several IH dealers to find one that still had that part. Wonder what's shoved in the back corners of old Uhaul shops, or in some Uhaul mechanics home garage because he just couldn't throw it out. I've got stuff like that!
Old 09-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #67

Quote:
.........I've got stuff like that!
That is why they invented eBay.

On the tail lights - I suspect that the supplier failed close to the manufacture date. The aluminum tail light adapters look like a rush job to cover UHaul rental trailers in the field when they realized that they had no more supply of lenses. I'm pretty sure that UHaul didn't tool up those adapters for us.
Old 09-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #68

New York
Excellent idea Tom, and those adapters don't fit anything else that I know of. Like you I bought a set just to have if all other options failed if I had a lens break. Another possibility was they were going to do away with the red/amber lens and go to a readily available round light. A lot of Uhaul equipment gets fixed out at the dealers and doesn't go to a Uhaul shop, so a standard light would simplify repairs. More history would sure be interesting!
Old 09-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #69

Registry
So who has the outer gasket material to install these windows with?
...just thought of another question. Do you have to dissassemble the window to remove it from the opening? Or do you somehow pry it out? Photos of that process would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:04 AM   #70

Quote:
So who has the outer gasket material to install these windows with?
...just thought of another question. Do you have to disassemble the window to remove it from the opening? Or do you somehow pry it out? Photos of that process would be greatly appreciated.
Pam, there is a locking strip that is inserted into a slot around the inside perimeter of the weatherstrip. On the driver's side, it originally had an orange handle. You pull that strip out and the window easily pushes out. Putting that locking strip back in is the hard part. The special tool helps a lot.

This thread explains it:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42722.html
Old 09-13-2012, 06:21 AM   #71

New York
Our Uhaul only has the lock strip on the drivers side. The curb side weatherstrip has a fold in type lock. Look at As1522 on Perfectfits site to see how it is made. You can pry it out with a small screwdriver, work it out all the way around, and push the window out including the rubber. It may help to kind of roll the rubber out. I've done it alone, but hang on to the window, or get it part way out, then go outside and pull it out the rest of the way. The lock strip installation tool is made by Lisle, part # 47000. Use some liquid dish soap on the strip to ease installation.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #72

Trailer: 84 U-Haul CT
Received my windows yesterday morning. My wife said that they were delivered at 530am. Who knew that USPS was up at that time. Anyhow, opened the box when I got home from work last night, and I must say that I was impressed. Good heavy outside cardboard. Both windows had extra styrafoam around the locks. Both windows were seperately enclosed in sheet styrafoam with reinforced tape around that. I did receive both a R/H and a L/H so that was good. Other than a little paint loss here and there, the windows are great. Looks like my weekend want-to-do list has been filled. The on net review of the company had a lot of negative talk, but they were great for me. They even called the day after I placed the order to make sure of what I was ordering. I hope the rest of you folks have as experiance as good as I have.

Marty D
Marty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #73

I just got my single window. Extremely well packed - could have survived reentry from outer space. Window is complete and perfect except for a little black paint chipping here and there. Shipping charge was $15 to SE Michigan via UPS Ground.

I'm happy with the purchase.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #74

Registry
I'm going to ask around my friends and find someone that works in metal to cut drain slots on the 'righty' that I have so that I can turn it into a 'lefty'. I want to install it so that it slides the same way as the other one.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #75

New York
I think the drain slots have to go through the window channel too?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #76

Florida
Registry
Quote:
I'm going to ask around my friends and find someone that works in metal to cut drain slots on the 'righty' that I have so that I can turn it into a 'lefty'. I want to install it so that it slides the same way as the other one.
Ms. Pam,
Have you used a ' Dremel ' ? They love these kinds of little jobs. I have had a number over the years and seems like there is always something that is made MUCH easier to do with a Dremel. Great cutoff, grinding, drilling buffing, polishing attachments (even flex drive for really hard to get at stuff). You can take it slow and easy so as to not hit the glass...Maybe, I'm preachin to the choir???
Old 09-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #77

New York
I'm still waiting for my windows, one of each. They have been billed to my credit card so I guess I'm OK. What's everyone ordering for the weatherstrip, I ordered the AS1456 because it has the same dimensions as my original, and I ordered the AS789 lock strip like Perfectfit recommends. I've already committed the extra to other Uhaul owners.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #78

Florida
Registry
Quote:
I'm still waiting for my windows, one of each. They have been billed to my credit card so I guess I'm OK. What's everyone ordering for the weatherstrip, I ordered the AS1456 because it has the same dimensions as my original, and I ordered the AS789 lock strip like Perfectfit recommends. I've already committed the extra to other Uhaul owners.
Mr. Bob,
Mine are due in tomorrow according to the UPS tracking. I called Surplus Sales to get a tracking number as I am going out of town and wanted to make sure I waited till they arrive.

This weatherstrip info. ,you are talking about, is of great interest to many of us so as to get it done right! Thanks!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #79

New York
The weatherstrip that I'm getting is NOT what was used by Bridget T in her great post about rebuilding the windows. It is my opinion that she did not use the correct weatherstrip as she used the weatherstrip for a 1/4" thick wall. Note that this is MY OPINION ONLY, based on my original weatherstrip dimensions. Anyone else ordering the weatherstrip should decide for themselves which to get. I don't want to be the blame for the wrong part, but I believe my info is correct as I've measured it several times. I recommend that before anyone orders it that they pull out one window and check the dimensions themselves. The grooves in the weatherstrip can be easily measured with a 3/16 and 1/4" drill bit. When I get a window installed I'll post the results.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:33 AM   #80

Registry
Quote:
The weatherstrip that I'm getting is NOT what was used by Bridget T in her great post about rebuilding the windows. It is my opinion that she did not use the correct weatherstrip as she used the weatherstrip for a 1/4" thick wall. Note that this is MY OPINION ONLY, based on my original weatherstrip dimensions. Anyone else ordering the weatherstrip should decide for themselves which to get. I don't want to be the blame for the wrong part, but I believe my info is correct as I've measured it several times. I recommend that before anyone orders it that they pull out one window and check the dimensions themselves. The grooves in the weatherstrip can be easily measured with a 3/16 and 1/4" drill bit. When I get a window installed I'll post the results.
need explanation please,,, waht is the weatherstripping? Is that the black rubber stuff that goes around the edge of the hole and the window gets put into? I assume the lock strip is what goes into the escape window on the driver side? I'm getting concerned that I'm in over my head, but plan to pull up my big girl pants and try to get this done. Definitedly need to see photos plees. I'm going to go over Bridgets posting again too, but hers also dealt with rebuilding the window which I'm not going to do.
Don, I'll check out the Dremel tool option. I think I have one, but will need to see what I can buy for cutter wheels. Maybe just drilling holes will work too.

Tags
uhaul, windows