Casita closet shelf question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Casita closet shelf question

I'm working up a design for a drop-in shelving system for the closet area. One would remove the door and inside stick that the door hinges screw into, place a mounting panel inside where the stick was, load the shelves onto mounting brackets on that panel, then cut the original stick into pieces that would fit in between the shelves to reattach the hinge mounting screws.

The actual shelves are based on templates provided by Larry (LHC) and are 3/16 inch thick ABS plastic with a built-in fence/lip formed from one piece of plastic, so they are VERY strong and rigid, as are the mounting brackets (90 degree bends.) Larry will have a sample at BBonnet for attendees to play with if they get bored with the TP holder prototype.

Question is, how high should the lip be? Also, one side of the material has a texture, and should that be inside or outside of the shelf?

If this works out, it'll be sold either as a kit, partially assembled, or fully assembled (hate to think of that shipping cost.) One option will be how much (if any) one would like the shelves to project past the door edge into the hanging area, and also rectangular pre-bent shelves without the taper for those that want to fit them at different elevations in the closet. This version is based on the 5-shelf templates that have been wandering around CasitaLand....

The other parts of the shelves will be supported by white PVC pipe sections in this iteration........ so far it looks like the whole shebang will weigh in at about 6-7 pounds total weight.

Side view of shelf with lip bend:

Mounting bracket that would be attached to mounting panel inside where door hinges are, current plan is for owners to fit the shelves to their walls (every Casita is a little different) and fasten to the brackets with a bit of ABS/PVC pipe glue, or drill holes in brackets and shelves to use cotter pins in the event they might want to remove shelves later.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #2

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I like what you're doing there but can't quite visualize it. I'll be glad to see the finished product.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
I guess another factor will this be universal and fit all variations and sizes of entry closets? I too would like to see the big picture as its hard to picture it intact.
thanks
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Oregon
In talking with Larry at Little House Customs, I've been able to pry open his knowledge bank of the various constructions Casita has used over the years. Many (but not all) have a 1/2 inch thick OSB stiffener board fiberglassed in the wall with the closet door, between the closet door and outside wall. This eliminates the flat mounting surface I had planned on using when the 1x2 for the door hinges was removed.

Current version will mount directly to the 1x2, eliminating the need to remove the door. I'm building a prototype for feedback at the Blue Bonnet rally and should be able to post pics of it here on Monday or Tuesday.

It may wind up being a drop-in when I get feedback as to what people would like to have, but the current design is very easy to mount as the shelves have built-in "ears" with screw holes in them. Plan is hex-head screws to be able to use a nutrunner/socket inside the closet.

Charlie Y

Old 04-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Question is, how high should the lip be? Also, one side of the material has a texture, and should that be inside or outside of the shelf?
My suggestions:
  • The lip should be either 1/2" or 3/4" high.
  • The texture should be on the inside of the shelf.
The lip should be high enough to keep contents on the shelf and not so high that it prevents you from getting them there.
The texture would provide friction to keep items from sliding around under transit.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:05 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Oregon
I settled on a minimum of 1 inch high as anything smaller makes it difficult to get a consistently clean looking bend with 3/16 ABS plastic.

The tray-to-tray spacings will be around 8, 10, and 12 inches apart.

Charlie Young

Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Oregon
This version does not require removing the 1x2 in the Casita closet, it uses the back side for an anchor (pics show a dummy one.) This prototype is mainly for the BBonnet rally and to get input from folks who fondle it.

Front view (sorta) showing the ears that allow mounting to the Casita 1x2 inside. Ears could be as long as you wish and where you wish to allow more or less protrusion of the shelves into the open doorway.

End view with two shelf spacer methods. Cut to size PVC pipe is easiest/cheapest and just glue to the shelf with regular PVC pipe cement. I kinda like the threaded rod better though (8x32) since it takes up less storage space on the shelf.

Top shelf shows how little space the threaded nut rod uses. Also the curves that are based on the Little House Customs template.

Thinking that maybe some folks would like just the pre-bent (for the lip) shelves with mounting ears to do their own thing; you could specify how far into the open doorway you'd like, and whether or not you want the body taper as you could fit them to different heights/spacings than the templates use. If so let me know at http://www/rvwidgetworks.com

Charlie Y Click thumbnail to enlarge

2006 Liberty Deluxe
2011 Tacoma TV, 4cyl 4WD

Need a widget to hold your stuff?? RV Widget Works | ,

Old 05-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #8

Name: Hank
Trailer: Casita
OH
How did this work out? I have a 2010 Casita 17' and am looking to put shelves in the closet.
Hank W
Amazinghank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
They work great. I have them in my closet. But unfortunately, Charlie quit making them several years ago now, so they are no longer available. It's a shame because they are really well made, but he said it was costing him too much to make them, so he quit doing those shelves.
Here's what they look like in mine.
Attached Thumbnails
closet1.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita