Scamp Barn find! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2015, 03:43 PM   #61

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
Bill what part of OK I am in ft smith AR and restoring a 13 trail mite , just bought a Dexter torsion bar 45 % down axle at ark trailer in ft smith with mount brackets for $328.00 BUILT FROM SCRATCH if you are close maybe we can get together .
Hi BAMA, I live on ths south side of Oklahoma City near Moore,OK. Just down I-40 from you!

That sounds like a very good price for the axle. Scamp quoted me $310.00, plus shipping charges from Minnesota. Did the trailer company give you an est. of labor hours?

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #62

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
Hi BAMA, I live on ths south side of Oklahoma City near Moore,OK. Just down I-40 from you!

That sounds like a very good price for the axle. Scamp quoted me $310.00, plus shipping charges from Minnesota. Did the trailer company give you an est. of labor hours?

Bill
that was out the door price not hard to install yourself follow my progress at this link . I will be posting new photos tonight .http://trailmitetales.webs.com/
Old 03-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #63

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA & Pachyderm Posse View Post
that was out the door price not hard to install yourself follow my progress at this link . I will be posting new photos tonight .http://trailmitetales.webs.com/
Bama, twenty years ago I MIGHT have been able to install the axle, but I haven't welded anything for years. And, overhead welding was never somthing I was able to do!

If the installation was a simple bolt on project, I might be able to do it.

However, it is mcuh smarter for me to pay an estimated 3-hours of labor than screw up the installation!

I'll be looking at your site to see your photos of progress.

Bill
Old 03-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #64

Oklahoma
Registry
New thread

I have posted a message on the forum "members helping members" about the wood rot in the floor of my Scamp 13 in case you might be interested.

And, want to offer me some advice on repairing this rot!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/n...ostthread&f=55

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-22-2015, 08:44 PM   #65

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Whatever you do, don't rip the Ensolite off the walls. No matter how bad it looks now, it can almost always be salvaged and with far less work and expense than replacing it.
I agree with this.. HOWEVER, I also wanted to add that removing a small area to work on what is underneath is not exactly problematic as long as you are careful and work slowly - it can be glued back in place very easily. I did this when I had to replace the tabbing that holds the front bunk support in place and after gluing it back, you really can't even tell it was ever peeled back.

That said, I did completely remove a very waterlogged section below my rear window and I probably won't be re-installing that (but I did save it, and I may use some of it for making repairs to other small damaged areas)- it was completely covered in mold on the back, so I am planning to replace it with a layer of reflectix with a layer of vinyl glued on top once I replace the wood table support - it won't be an exact match to the existing ensolite, but as I am planning on painting ALL of the interior of my trailer so it will match well enough when I am done
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp