Axle measurements for old Scamp? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
If I can get the brake brackets installed when I order my new axle, I plan to do so.

Bill
Bill, keep in mind that the flange need to install the brakes will need to be on the axle as it comes from the axle manufacturer. The brake mounting flange is not something one can add onto an axle that did not come with one originaly.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #42

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Bill, keep in mind that the flange need to install the brakes will need to be on the axle as it comes from the axle manufacturer. The brake mounting flange is not something one can add onto an axle that did not come with one originaly.
I have been delaying ordering a new axle until I could get a reply from Scamp confirming the axle measurements for a 1978 Scamp 13. Today I was able to talk to a very helpful man in the Scamp's tool department.

The measurements he gave me were...Hub Face to Hub Face...63-inches
Frame to Frame...49 3/4-inches (outside of frame)
45 3/4-inches (inside of frame)

Tomorrow, if it's not raining, I will check the outside of frame measurement to be sure!

I may delay ordering an axle until I'm able to clean the trailer, and check out everything. I'm hopeing that will be very soon. When I place the axle order, I'll also find out how much more an axle will cost with brake flanges.

Whether or not I get brake flanges will depend on how much more they cost. My "toy" funds are very limited.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #43

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I believe you will find that the dimensions are as delivered, but some have had problems with the brackets cracking since the frame sits in the middle of the mounting face and the main force should be aligned with the side of the bracket that should line up along the outside of the frame.
The inside dimension of the frame is (on my 16' Sacmp) 45" and the outside is 48".
The frame is made of 3" x 1 1/2 " square tubing stacked on top of one another.
I ordered my new Flexiride axles with 48" outside mounting bracket dimension so that a plate welded on the outside of the frame can overlay the side of the axle bracket and be bolted in after alignment and the bolts "killed".
My 1986 16" had face to face dimension of 65" which I retained. The new axle will have 5 on 4 1/2" bolt pattern instead of the 4 bolt.
If anyone needs some wheels and tires for the 4 bolt hubs I have three extra with fairly new automotive type tires. I also have an old axle (2500 lbs) with 4 bolt brake hubs and brakes complete and probably never used since the trailer had a 4 pin connector.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #44

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
If anyone needs some wheels and tires for the 4 bolt hubs I have three extra with fairly new automotive type tires. I also have an old axle (2500 lbs) with 4 bolt brake hubs and brakes complete and probably never used since the trailer had a 4 pin connector.
I have an interest in the 4 bolt brake hubs. I wanted to set up a spare because I'm not likely to find one available in stock if anything goes wrong on the road.

I'll send a PM and see if we can work out shipping and price.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:25 PM   #45

Oklahoma
Registry
I have posted a message on the Forum "members helping members" requesting help with dealing with the wood rot I found on the floor of my Scamp 13.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/n...ostthread&f=55

Any suggestions on how best to repair this rot will be appreciated!

Bill
Old 03-21-2015, 08:41 PM   #46

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Bill,

When I ordered my Dexter axle, the brake flanges were only $10 extra. The electric brakes were about $125 more than no brakes. Total with electric brakes $441.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
bobkatr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:09 PM   #47

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatr1 View Post
Bill,

When I ordered my Dexter axle, the brake flanges were only $10 extra. The electric brakes were about $125 more than no brakes. Total with electric brakes $441.

Bob

Ha! Bob, even as cheap as I am...adding the flanges is well worth the extra $20.00.

The man who is going to order and install the axle for me, will be coming to my house to measure my frame & axle, as soon as I tell him I'm ready to order it.

He has offered to supply the axle, hubs, and two new wheels and tires for his cost. All I have to pay for is the labor, which he said would be two or three hours at $70.00 an hour.

Now that I have the trailer clear of clutter, I'm about ready to order the axle.

Thanks Bob for the information about the cost of the brake flanges and brakes.

Bill
Old 03-29-2015, 07:07 PM   #48

Oklahoma
Registry
At long last I was able to climb under my Scamp today, and measure the width of the frame at the point where the axle is welded to the frame.

The outside of the frame, to the outside of the frame, was 48 inches. Which is the measurement that Bob (bobkatri) informed me in message 7 above.

I also noted that the center of the axle appeared to be bent in the center about 1/2-inch!

Now to beg the required money for a new axle from my dear wife!

Bill
Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 PM   #49

Registry
Bill, the bent upward axle is the normal position. I freaked out when mine was the same!

Old 03-29-2015, 09:14 PM   #50

Registry
We should get our new axle in a week or two, then run it to town for welding, then prime & paint. Then comes the fun part, putting the shell back on the frame! I am still planning to put 3/4" resin coated plywood under the existing floor and then fiberglass the new floor to the shell and bolt the shell/floor to the frame.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #51

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Bill, the bent upward axle is the normal position. I freaked out when mine was the same!

Quote:
We should get our new axle in a week or two, then run it to town for welding, then prime & paint. Then comes the fun part, putting the shell back on the frame! I am still planning to put 3/4" resin coated plywood under the existing floor and then fiberglass the new floor to the shell and bolt the shell/floor to the frame.

Bob, It's good to learn that bend upward is normal! I was wondering how in the world a dent like that could happen, without the bottom of the trailer being ripped out!

The idea of having the shell and frame apart is sure attractive. However, I doubt that I would ever get mine apart, and if I did, it would never get placed back together! Your "double" floor should be super strong!

I'm looking forward to learning more about the details of the installation of your new axle. How many labor hours it takes for example.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 PM   #52

Registry
Bill, my guesstimate for removal of the old axle and welding the new mounts on will be 1.5-3 hours. We also plan to add some additional iron. The most important part will be getting the welded mounts straight and even. I am lucky to have such a good friend and welder!

Tags
axle, scamp