Ford Escape Experience? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #1

Name: Will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Arizona
Ford Escape Experience?

Hi folks, I am new to the group. I just bought a 2017 Ford Escape with 2.0 Ecoboost and tow package. It claims to accommodate up to 3500lbs gvwr. It has front wheel drive.

I have read various forums that basically warn me not to tow an RV, but they are all from folks who never owned this car.

Do any of you have experience towing with this car? Or perhaps a year or two older? I think they used the same engine etc last year and before.

I am trying to decide which trailer to buy. I hope to get something with a permanent bed, dinette, and bath. Right now the Escape 17 looks interesting, or a Scamp 16 layout 6. I believe the Casita won't work since I am 6'2". Dry weight on most similar models hovers around 2500lbs with options included, so that's where I am aiming. But I'd like to hear from folks who have actually towed with the Ecoboost Ford Escape to see if I'm being realistic.

Also, any other model suggestions appreciated. I am in Phoenix, and there are few fiberglass models to view here.

Thanks,
Will
thewags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #2

Name: Ladonna
Trailer: IN the market
Pennsylvania
Hi. I own the exact same car - 2017 with the Ecoboost 2.0 engine.
I don't know much but I was advised to look at either the Travel Lite Falcon
Model or a Lil Snoozy. My father, who has owned many campers and has towed many trailers as well, feels that anything heavier would be too much for the Escape. However, I myself do not have first hand experience. There may be someone else on this forum that has pulled something heavier with no issues.
I always say better safe than sorry. :-) Good luck!
ladonmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Perhaps not an answer to your question, but the major issue I have with front wheel drive is spinning the front wheels on gravel and going uphill on hills from a stop.
My opinion is that a weight distributing hitch would help on that and the overall towing experience.
I know that on the Chrysler Town and Country the 3500 lb tow rating requires a WDH at any load over 1800 lbs.
I have been looking for a good inexpensive WDH for light duty.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #4

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita 16
Florida
Ford Escape

I own a 2014 Ford Escape with a 2.0L with factory tow package. I have towed a 16 foot Casita through out the southeastern USA. The Casita weighs 2300lbs road ready, I have not encountered any problems towing.
CaptRichie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #5

Name: Matt
Trailer: Boler 17'
British Columbia
Ford Escape

Hey there Will,

I have a 2015 Escape with the 2 liter ecoboost, AWD, and tow package. We tow a 17' Boler that comes in at about 2900 lbs with our camping supplies on-board. We have not had any issues but definitely take on the slow and steady mantra. I haven't done any significant mountain towing so am not sure about that but for the weekend jaunts we have done it works well.

I hope that helps and if you have any other questions I will try to help.

Matthew
JMatt035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:49 PM   #6

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Illinois
We own a 2013 Ford Escape with the 1.6L Eco-boost and AWD. I know this is further from the car in question, but it is the smaller engine, so thought it was worth sharing. We do not have the factory tow package in our Escape, I have installed the hitch and wiring myself. Our owners manual states that our tow limit is 2,000 lbs. We have a 2014 Scamp 13' standard that we tow, and I am very happy with how it pulls. We have not had the trailer very long, and have only taken a few trips with it so far (no mountain trips yet), but it does do well with a few steep hills around where we live. We are also keeping our gear as light as possible. Our trailer is equipped with trailer brakes, and I will be hooking up a brake controller in the Escape in the near future. I do want to get this done before we head out west with the trailer.

Here's a picture of ours, with our canoe on the roof (we don't always bring it along)
Hope this helps in your research.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8449-LR.jpg  
JH350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

Name: KC
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
Missouri
Ford Escape Experience?

Check out LiL Snoozy. I had a Casita on order until I found this gem :-)

www.lilsnoozy.com

Permanent Queen bed and lots of space inside.
KCGuy76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape