Opinions needed for removal of fridge and replace with A/C in Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Electrical | Charging, Systems, Solar and Generators
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-30-2017, 08:24 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Opinions needed for removal of fridge and replace with A/C in Scamp

I am considering this mod in my 13' Scamp.
I'd take out the Dometic 3-way fridge (not original to the Scamp), it did once have an icebox, and put in an A/C unit.

I have an Engel 40 quart fridge in my tow vehicle at all times so it just seems redundant to have two.

https://www.engelcoolers.com/mr040f-u1.html

I'm thinking it would be an area that is already vented so I wouldn't have to cut any holes in the sides of the Scamp.
The electricity is already on that side of the Scamp.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Does it seem possible?

Resale value could be a concern, but I think the process could be reversible easily enough. But then, I'm thinking I will be keeping this Scamp.

This is my converter:
lisantica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You already have that information you need for the installation requirments available to you provided directly from the manufacturer.

The Engel installation instructions will tell you how many inches of clearance you need on the side areas that have vents on them. Just having a vented cabinet is not enough, you can't block the air movement out of vents on the cooler itself or you will overheat your Engel. So follow those directions carefully.

The other thing to note in the instructions is that the 12v power cord for portable fridges needs to come directly from the house battery terminals with its own fuse inline rather than having the power to the fridge coming through the converter.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:26 PM   #3

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
You already have that information you need for the installation requirments available to you provided directly from the manufacturer.

The Engel installation instructions will tell you how many inches of clearance you need on the side areas that have vents on them.
I am good with keeping the Engel in the van.
I am thinking of removing the Dometic refrigerator and putting an AC in where the Dometic currently is.
Here:
Old 09-30-2017, 06:33 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
I believe I understand your goal. Your challenge will be to sufficiently vent the heat exhaust from the back and/or sides of the AC unit. That usually involves a big hole to the outside.
If you have not acquired an AC unit, consider a two piece "ductless mini split." you can search the web to learn more and there are threads here from owners who have installed them.
Many originate from Japan. The units have the compressor-condenser outside, and an air handler inside. Tubes connect them.
PS, most incorporate a heat pump function where the heat is sent to the air handler and the cool is exhaust.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:20 PM   #5

California
Registry
Thank you for your thoughts Tom.
I was wondering if the vent from the fridge would suffice?

Old 09-30-2017, 09:10 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
New a/c

Lots of weight guys in the split system I have one in my house. They run cheap though but in your case I would buy a 6k window unit from walmart put the unit in your closet a the bottom there are pictures of this around and keep my fridge!

compact installation and cheap and efficient to run matter of fact there is no condentsation any more due to the way they run.

just a suggestion!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:45 AM   #7

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
but in your case I would buy a 6k window unit from walmart put the unit in your closet
Thank you k0wtz for your thoughts.
I did buy a 5,000 BTU from Amazon, it runs great and I temporarily install it in the back window.
This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I do like the idea of having it in the closet, I was just trying to avoid cutting a hole in the side of the Scamp since there is a hole and vent already where the fridge is and I don't utilize that fridge. Lots to think about.

Temporary install:
Old 10-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #8

Denver, CO
I wonder whether there are vents on the sides or just the back? I'm thinking air may flow in the sides then out the back of the unit.

If there are side vents then your temporary install is ideal for operation, just not ideal structurally. If you can't make it secure structurally without major modifications, what about putting it in place when you are set up? You would remove it for towing, and leave it home in Spring & Fall.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 AM   #9

Missouri
a/c

Well my Scamp has a small closet door at the top and lots of available space at the bottom for a another door which I have seen done. I saw the picture where the a/c unit was installed at the bottom of the cabinent it looked pretty cool. A/c units can be mounted about anywhere just so you get cooling if that is what you must have. I wont go into my thoughts on a/c here today!

Guys if you want to do things search and search until you come up with a solution as he said he wasn't ready to cut a hole in his camper yet I agree with him.

I added 2 new baggage doors on the opposite side of my A-Liner it took courage on my part to start hacking on fiberglass but I found exactly how to do it, it was pain free and works great.

Just this week I made some major changes to my Scamp 13f but I now have way more room the previous owner had made his own hacks and they didn't make any sense to me maybe they worked for him after all it was his camper!
Old 10-01-2017, 06:24 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Putting your small portable air conditioner in the space of the fridge can be done. But you have to understand how your air conditioner works. You have the cool side outlet and cool side inlet. This is where air in your trailer circulates around through the unit and takes inside warm air and cools it down. Thats the easy one.

Then there is the middle section with vents in the side of the housing. This is fresh air in. This doesnt mix with the cool side and has to be vented fresh air in seperately.

Then there is the exhaust end this is where the hot air comes out. This is taking the mid section fresh air and blowing it through the hot coils and out the back to exhaust.

Then there is the condensing water problem. Moisture seperated from warm air going cool condenses water from the air much like a cold can of soft drink left out in humid weather. The moisture condenses and has to be drained off. You don't want this dumping in your trailer.

If you put all of these functions inside your fridge compartment you have to deal with them all together but seperately. The cool side is easy mount the unit and seal it so only the front sticks out. Cool air in cold air out.

The mid section needs fresh air and it cant come from the front or rear. So you need to be sealed between the front and the rear sections and drawing fresh air in probably through the floor. This is a large volume of air so you have a choice of a big hole or a smaller hole with a fan mounted to force air in. All the air you feel blowing out the back has to come in through the side vents so you can see its a large volume of air. Restrict this incoming air and you loose the cooling capacity the air conditionair is designed to do.

If you pull in the hot air comming from the back of the unit into the mid section you defeat its puropse and the unit wont cool properly. As for the hot air exhaust you need to seal it from the other sections and blow straight outside. This is easily done by removing the fridge lower hatch during operation. Proper ducting could easily be made to push the air out the open hatch.

You still have to drain the considate out from under the unit out the trailer into some type of container. Most modern campgrounds do not let you drain anything on the ground so you should properly deal with this problem.

Now for the biggest problem with this installation. Your air conditioner will be sucking the cool air off the floor of your trailer cooling it and sucking it back in again. It will do little to actually cool the air in the trailer. It will cool your toes. You need the airconditioner to suck up the hot air at the top of the trailer and cool it and blow it out into the trailer so it circulates the air in the trailer. Doing this at floor level is a real problem, some people put fans or deffusers to redirect this some but it still doesn't do the job properly. It can help but results vary.

If you have ducts cut into the floor you need screening and covers over the openings when your not using the air conditioner. You don't want creachers invading your trailer when you are away.

Right now your window mounted unit will work very well if properly set up. There was a person here on this site selling a mounting system for a window air unit last month. There was also an old post that someone mounted an air unit up front by the door under the gaucho that dealt with sectioning off the different functions of the air unit.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #11

Denver, CO
Stevebaz nailed it. For all of those considerations, I would lean toward installing it at the campsite, then removing for travel if possible.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #12

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 72 View Post
Stevebaz nailed it. For all of those considerations, I would lean toward installing it at the campsite, then removing for travel if possible.
Agreed, sticking with the temporary install when needed and hope for 3 seasons of not too hot.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:45 PM   #13

Missouri
condensations

new window a/c units don't make condensation today I have one and I was amazed no water dripping out of the unit. Mine sets in a window the a/c unit handles cooling and exhaust at the same time!

I have no separate exhaust or anything there is no reason a camper doesn't work the same way!
Old 07-28-2020, 01:16 PM   #14

Name: Brent
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
I have the outside vent and A/C in the bottom of the closet, about waist high-that's how the Scamp came and it does show some wear, damage, also damaged front inside cover. Not sure if I want to keep or not, probably will for now if it works.
EnduroFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #15

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Mines in the closet. I cut holes in my wheel well for cold air intake and blow the hot air out the roof. No holes on the side.

Been working well for 10 years. https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...all-42791.html
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, scamp