Jeroen's Overland Expedition Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2017, 06:35 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
hey

hey man we will be in N.C next month how about I drop Stevie by for a quick roll on? How hard was that roll on job?

maybe start with your equipment please?

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #22

Name: Jeroen
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
I've got some more work done. Last weekend I painted the bumper and trailer tongue, and ran into a big surprise: a second, but different frame number! I went to the DMV to figure out what to do with this. I need to get it inspected by NC DOT, and the inspector will decide which number will be the right one. Then I need to take his/her report to the DMV and they will adjust the title.

I spray painted the cabinet with a can of Rustoleum and it came out looking pretty nice.

I'm moving the front ceiling cabinet to the rear, because I wouldn't be able to access one of the two doors because of my bathroom. I don't want holes in my shell, so I'm attaching the cabinet to the tabs. I used a wire brush on a drill to get rid of the glue residue. Then I hot-glue-gun'ed left pieces of plywood to the shell to keep them in place. Then I used epoxy and fiberglass to glass them in.

I'm attempting to glue the skin back to the shell, but nothing is sticking to it. I tried 3M spray, and today Loctite Power Grab.

Next week: pre-wiring the 12V, filling in the gabs with caulk, and painting the inside. Also: cut holes in the ceiling cabinet for my newly acquired 6" speakers, and car stereo.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20171029_124317.jpg   IMG_20171029_134546.jpg  

IMG_20171029_115410.jpg  
jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
work

fantastic work!!

good for you

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #24

Name: Matt
Trailer: Scamp 13
North Carolina
Overland Scamp

So, I happened to be cruising this forum on axle replacement info, (I'm starting to do it now and wanted more info) and I ran across Jeroen's posts about his overland Scamp 13 project. About a month or so ago, I bought this little gem from him for a very fair price. I think he got burned out on it, he did all the hard work of the exterior and floor replacement etc. (and did a really great job btw) I thought I'd give y'all and update as to its completed (mostly) look. I took it in a rather different direction inside than his plans. BUT, I now see his plan and the tabs he glued in seem to make a lot more sense. Here are just a few pics. I added a 10 gal water tank with DC pump, I have 30A AC power with aux 20A plug (probably overkill) water hookups, cable TV hookup, 22" flatscreen TV, blue tooth radio and 6x9's, fully custom maple wood cabinets with soft close doors and drawers and all LED lighting throughout. I also made the center removable bed section, the table and countertops out of 1" USG foam tile backerboard to reduce weight as much as possible. I went with the ARB touring awning (highly recommend, its way cheaper and a fantastic product) it's the 2500 model. This was a huge project, but well worth it. I'm a Craftsman by trade so it came easily to me. I am just tanking Jeroen big time for his hard and quality work to give this thing good bones! Sorry, I can't get the pics in a vertical position.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8943.jpg   IMG_8946.jpg  

IMG_8945.jpg   IMG_8950.jpg  

matt_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #25

North Carolina
You did an amazing job!
Old 07-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #26

North Carolina
Thanks Jeroen. I'm so happy to have seen your hard work on this thing and to see what it looked like before you started. I had no idea how much work you had actually done to it!!!! Whew! If I had to do all that, I'm not sure it would have taken this project on. You had a grand vision.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #27

North Carolina
I'll probably head over to Small Cabin Forum for my next project. It's getting too hot down here in the Triangle. Time to get some mountain property!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:16 PM   #28

North Carolina
That's a great plan! That was my initial plan before the camper, then I got married... so, back to more affordable things. Being from northern MI, the heat and humidity here kills me. So, off to the mountains with the Scamp. (After the new axle goes in, getting delivered next week. I'm in the process of cutting off the old one and I ran out of oxygen for my oxy/acetylene torches)
Old 01-12-2020, 06:09 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1978 Scamp
IOWA CITY
Headliner

Hi Matt -

Nice job with the interior. The headliner looks really good. Did you put a layer of insulation in first before the headliner? My wife and are are working on a similar project and are debating foiled insulation then a headliner but want a seamless look like yours.

Thank you,

Mike
Teton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:29 PM   #30

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teton View Post
Hi Matt -

Nice job with the interior. The headliner looks really good. Did you put a layer of insulation in first before the headliner? My wife and are are working on a similar project and are debating foiled insulation then a headliner but want a seamless look like yours.

Thank you,

Mike
Matt might not answer your question. His Last Activity (on this forum): 07-17-2018
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:28 AM   #31

North Carolina
Thanks for the kind words. I did not put any more insulation, I went over the existing neoprene interior in the camper but it had a silicone type coating on the neoprene which was the original interior wall covering. The pics here look good, but the carpet didn’t stay stuck so well in the heat. I ended up having to sew the carpet to the silicone coated neoprene with a hook needle and thread. I couldn’t find an adhesive that would hold well enough to stay stuck to that silicone coating. If I could go back, I would have stripped everything down and started with a non coated neoprene type aircraft insulation and then applied the carpet. Just food for thought. The reflective insulation tends to work better if you have an air gap between it and the surface you are insulating against. The R-value increases greatly with that air gap. Anyways, I hope this has helped you in some way to make better choices than I made. In the end, it ended up working out with the sewing of the headliner, the vertical surfaces seemed to hold well enough.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:30 AM   #32

North Carolina
While I may not be super active, (full time school and work and car projects) if someone replies to my post, I will get an email and try my best to reply. ��
Old 01-14-2020, 08:25 AM   #33

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Always good to see another North Carolinian in the group (State grad and just can't seem to type tarh??l) Nice looking work on the completion and hope to see you out camping sometime.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #34

North Carolina
Nice! Yeah, I live in Cary and State is right around the corner. I’m always in the homecoming parade with my ‘64 Skylark convertible, red and white of course... my wife works for that other place tho, I remain rather neutral to keep the peace. She’s a Virginia Tech alum. Hope to see ya out there camping as well, good times are always had in the Scamp 13.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #35

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1978 Scamp
IOWA CITY
Matt - Thanks for the thorough response. I'll look for some neoprene insulation.
Teton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #36

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Just joshing ya about the schools as I'm sure you know.

I grew up with the GM "A" bodies and still believe the sixties were the apex of American automotive design. I'll keep an eye out for that Skylark around Raleigh.

Tell the missus to be on the lookout for an egg owner by the name of Walt Pirie. I think he's in an Escape 19 these days. Walt was an Associate Professor Emeritus in Statistics at Virginia Tech before retirement and just an all around great guy. He holds a rally in Virginia each Fall at Hungry Mother SP; Maybe things will work out so we can both attend this year. More info in the 'Rallies Section' of this group.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp