removal of fresh water tank in Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2019, 03:53 PM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: In the market
Oregon
removal of fresh water tank in Casita

1994 Casita 16 ft Freedom that I want to replace the water tank in. How much trouble is it to remove the fiberglass seat area to get to the tank? Any help would be appreciated.
Dondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I can't speak to the water tank replacement but on my 2003 the seat is easy to remove. Just some #2 square drive (i.e. Robertson) screws top and bottom and lift the seat out.

I suppose there might be differences in seat mounting over the years but few things are complicated on the Casita. If are differences you might report back after the job's done for our education.

There's a cleat screwed into the floor that the bottom of the seat screws into. There's s simple flange at the top.

I took mine out to put a water pressure accumulator in the other back corner and was pleasantly surprised how quick and easy the seat removal was. I'm including a picture showing the street side back corner just to give you an idea of what the seat is attached to.
Attached Thumbnails
Accum1.jpg  
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #3

Name: CalCop
Trailer: Casita
California
I agree with Steve. Removing the bench covering the tank is about a ten minute job. A few screws along the edges. I've had mine out a few times.
CalCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I concur.....no deal what so ever

Do you really need to replace the tank? Add a marine 4" diameter access screw in/out deck plate, you can clean the interior of the tank and wipe it dry with that access ability.

Nothing about the Casita is rocket science. Get a good light source, inspect the area, remove a couple of screws and you're there.
Tom Haberski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
[QUOTE=Tom Haberski;728549]Do you really need to replace the tank? Add a marine 4" diameter access screw in/out deck plate, you can clean the interior of the tank and wipe it dry with that access ability. [QUOTE]

+10 on the deck plate. With the 4" size I can reach all areas in my 25 gal tank.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Deck plates are nice, I suppose. I use a clear one on the front of my propane tank cover to eyeball the changeover indicator and to move the tank selector without taking off the cover but I haven't had any occasion to want to get into my trailer water tank in 15 years or in my sailboat water tank in 25 years. If all he wants is a larger water tank a plate isn't going to help. I don't have any particular issue with them but they are certainly an option.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

Oregon
Tank removal

Thanks for everyone's advice. I still will remove the bench seat area, since it is so easy with a few screws, and a bit of effort. One of the tank tie down straps is broken and I want to replace that. The previous owner has replaced all the tubing for plumbing, except for the tank drain tube and tube going to the pump. I want to do those at this time also. Great Idea about the access to the tank. I will do that ,and clean it (it is truly filthy) while doing the water pipes. It looks like plastic ties were used to clamp them to the tank.

I just bought it and detailed it out some, floor is a bit soft, so I'm going to check for water damage while I'm working around the tank. Thanks again for all the help, it is great reading all of the post.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #8

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 1994 Casita 16 Liberty
Washington
Water tank

Have a 1994 Casita Liberty. Took the 10 gallon water tank and battery out and put in a 25 gallon water tank. Put battery in box outside in front.
DanielAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #9

Oregon
Fresh water tank

Going to a larger tank, while replacing it, sounds like a good idea. And I also was thinking of changing the propane tank size and Batt on the tongue. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondo View Post
Going to a larger tank, while replacing it, sounds like a good idea. And I also was thinking of changing the propane tank size and Batt on the tongue. Thanks for the ideas.

Keep in mind that you have to lift that larger propane tank. I'd much rather lift two twenty pound tanks than one thirty pound tank.

Tags
casita