Casita Awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #1

Name: Neal
Trailer: 2019 Casita Freedom DLX
Florida
Casita Awning

I Have a question for all the Casita owners with an awning, do you use your awning frequently from watching the videos on this it seems very fragile for the price if you had it to do over would you put that same money for toward solar power or better batteries, Clam screen room or something else for the trailer. just seems like it may be a pain to put that down every time you want to go somewhere or everytime a little storm for breeze comes along.
I plan on ordering a Casita very soon just trying to make up my mind on the awning I like the freedom model I also wondered if anyone else put the freedom chairs on top of the spirit storage areas in the dining area across from the fridge as I was told by Casita it can't be done or they would be against the wall and wound not swivel. Has anyone possibly tried this MOD ?
THANKS very much for the information

Lost my a-- to Snoozy
Neal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a set of the Freedom captains chairs that we bought used and installed one in our Uhaul camper. In the Freedom Casita they set on a pedestal and the table is very small compared to the table in the Spirit. I did try to set one of the captains chairs in our Spirit and it won't work. We like the size of the Spirit table and no way would go with a smaller one. As for the awning, we have the old Dometic Catalina 1500 that is bolted directly to the trailer, no brackets. We like it as we set up our cooking table and equipment under it. I anchor the legs down, use a pair of guy ropes, and a pair of deflappers tied off to stakes. Even so there are times where we roll it in if high winds are predicted. Other owners will be able to give you different awning options or opinions.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 02:36 PM   #3

Name: Neal
Trailer: 2019 Casita Freedom DLX
Florida
Talking

Ok it doesn't have to be just Casita owners, would welcome any opinion on Awning use. (Need input)
Neal B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:12 PM   #4

Name: Randy
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Minnesota
My advice would be to get the awning. I know the price is a bit high but it is well designed and very easy to set up and use. It's not as fragile as it might appear but of course you have to use good judgement. It expands your living space while covering the door and providing shade for the side of the trailer. On my SD that includes the fridge which is a big plus in hot sunny weather.

As far as durability, I've used the faimma in drenching downpours with no ill effects. The wind is what you have to watch for and that can be mitigated to some extent. Again use your judgement.

Solar would be nice as well but I think you would appreciate having the awning. I know I do.
Randy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
01 Scamp 19' here. We replaced the Catalina 2500 with a Fiamma F45S a year or so back and couldn't be happier. I think Fiamma is OE on Casita.

For us, the screen room and awning serve different functions. Our screen room (12x12 Pahaque) is a place to hang out in inclement weather and provides at least a small degree of security to store chairs, stove, cooler etc. when we're away. The awning and patio mat seem to extend the living area of the camper and we much prefer to sit outside.

It only takes a few minutes to deploy or take down the awning. Its always guyed and the legs secured with 12" stakes and I use bright colored cord with a couple of tell tales on each line to minimize tripping. I've not found rain or winds less than 15 mph to be a problem. Use a couple of ball bungees around the awning case when travelling.

Get the awning option and then add a screen room whenever you can. I'd suggest one with drop down solid sides and at least 10' wide to fit over the larger picnic tables found in most campgrounds today.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
We have a 2018 Casita which we ordered without the awing and we purchased a Clam. Personally the Clam works for us, it's big, protects from the weather and bugs, it's easy to setup and take down, probably takes 3-4 minutes with two people, but one can do it. It's going to be what you want and it handles the wind much better then the awing, our Clam blew down once in high winds, but we did not have the ropes with stakes in place, our fault. We did order the extra side panels for the Clam, but to date we have not used them. I do use both the propane grill and Little Red Campfire inside, the fire really warns up the place. It's big inside, will easily hold 8 with there chairs and the fire in the middle.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:11 PM   #7

Name: Art
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
I just ordered a new SD without the awning. I can buy at least 8 easy ups for the price of that awning. I can also put one of these where ever I want it put, like over the picnic table without having to drag the picnic table over to me. But for me the biggest plus for not getting the awning was not having all of those extra holes in my roof.
ae6black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:06 PM   #8

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita 17 SD - sold - Lance 1475
Tennessee
We use the awning on our 17SD almost every time we set up camp. It’s our “front porch “ and makes it feel like home.
jimiller5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I think part of the awning vs no awning has to do with how you camp. Summer time week-end camping (RVing) you might be able to use an awning. Winter in the SW probably not a good idea. I've seen from calm to 60 mph winds happen in minutes. Awnings and tents, and anything else the wind can catch goes flying.

Winter of 2018 in Death Valley the wind grabbed the door and through it open, my wife happened to have a hold of it and she hit the ground. She wasn't hurt but it was too close for comfort.

A few years ago in Big Bend TX I put an awning away for a neighbor. It was a "bag awning" so there wasn't the frame work to get bent up.

Winds can be a problem. But if you're strictly a "fair weather" camper you might be able to away it.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita Awning

If you travel from place to place- touring, as opposed to “destination” camping- having an awning that is self-storing and quick to deploy and stow is an advantage.

You might check out Shady Boy as a less-expensive alternative. It’s also fairly wind resistant.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:24 AM   #11

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
I use my awning every single time I camp. I love it. It is my porch, my living room and my transitional area from indoors to out. My dog also “lives” under it because she loves being out when we camp. If it’s raining I’ll retract it some. Sometimes to only a couple of feet, enough to protect the door, window and chairs from getting wet. It also cools one side of your trailer from blazing sun and falling leaves and junk. It doubles the usable space of your trailer without using more place to store it.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:30 AM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We have the factory Fiamma awning on our 2013 Casita SD

Like It
Use it
No Problems / issues
Would definitely purchase again

It’s plenty sturdy , that said I wouldn’t swing from it
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:19 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal B View Post
Ok it doesn't have to be just Casita owners, would welcome any opinion on Awning use. (Need input)
Installed a Fiamma F65 on our Trillium 5500 last spring.
Well made product, but expensive and not super sturdy, we retract it if there's any chance of high winds or when leaving the campsite for the day. Easy and only takes a minute.
We love it!
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Agree with posts 11-13. The Fiamma is easy enough to retract and store whenever there's a chance of wind or we're away from the campground. Common sense goes a long way.

If our summer week-end camping trips to the nearby NC Outer Banks are RVing, what should our multi-month trips to the southwest be called? Keeping in mind, we use the awning on both. Actually, I've yet to notice the wind being predisposed to a M-F workweek no matter where we go.

Big Bend has been our favorite NP since we honeymooned there in 78 and we've returned often. Wind can certainly be a problem. Heck, we've even been in the Basin Campground twice when we had to put the awning away due to snow so don't think we fall under the "fair weather" label.

Awning use a more a matter of personal preference than when or where you camp. The setup/takedown effort for the additional living space is worth it to some and not to others. No right or wrong to it.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
We like our Awning very much

We do use our awning most of the time, as we did on our previous Casita. We have some custom made shade screens, that give some privacy too, plus a strap that goes over the middle of the awning, that allows us to keep it up in all but the windiest conditions. We lay painters poles across each side to add strength for the strap, and to take strain off of the awning. We have had this setup for years, and like it very much. We have various screen structures too, but if there are no bugs around, we just use the awning area.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0749.JPG  
kate raslavsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, casita