1990's Bigfoot plumbing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
1990's Bigfoot plumbing

I have to replace some of the water supply line fittings in a 1995 Bigfoot 17. The lines look a great deal like PEX but I'm not sure PEX was used much back in those days.

Can anyone tell me the material that was used and whether or not it is compatible with current day PEX fittings? Thanks.
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
My 94 Bigfoot had grey PEX with aluminum crimp sleeves. Later all PEX sleeves were copper which supposedly works better than aluminum crimp sleeves. Today, PEX can be obtained in red, blue, and white. The new colors can be used with the existing grey pipe and the current crimp sleeves as well as the compression (no tool needed) fittings.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler
Registry
I thought my 1989 Bigfoot had pex fittings until I turned the water on. LOL. Turns out the grey tubes in my trailer are ever so slightly larger and the pex fittings wouldn't seal. If redoing it is probably best to replace all the tubing and fittings. I was able to make up a fitting to convert from the Bigfoot ones to pex.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #4

Name: Barry
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Grey Pipe to Pex

I believe the grey pipe is probably polybutylene which industry stopped using around 1995. SharkBite (among others?) makes a fitting to transition from the grey to the Pex.I have used that that to transition and replace easily accessible plumbing that I have updated.
Ham Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham Bonz View Post
I believe the grey pipe is probably polybutylene which industry stopped using around 1995. SharkBite (among others?) makes a fitting to transition from the grey to the Pex.I have used that that to transition and replace easily accessible plumbing that I have updated.
So, it sounds as if there is grey polybutylene and grey PEX and that a 1995 trailer could have either one. I can find a source for making a conversion from polybutylene to PEX. Can anyone tell me how to differentiate between the two?
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Smile PB (grey) or PEX

I read it on the internet (so it must be true) posted from some who said he was a plumber...
" Gray is polybutylene. PEX is either milky, or red. or blue. or red/blue striped."
Apparently outside diameters differ slightly between the tubing types
Ham Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #7

Name: Russ
Trailer: 2020 25 RQ
British Columbia
The inside diameters are different. The "wall" of the gray line is much thinner, which led to many homeowners, etc...experiencing leaks, floods, etc...I had FOUR in my last house. Caught them soon enough to prevent damage. In some cases, insurance companies will not insure a home with that have the grey lines in place.
Russ Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #8

Trailer: 1989 BIGFOOT 17' - FOR SALE
British Columbia
Registry
Recently I added an Accumulator into my water system, '89 BF. I was able find stenciling on the pipe that included 'PB' coding - Poly B. Confirmed it for me...

I was prepared to use a Poly-B to PEX fitting but in the end didn't have to.
BMack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot