Dometic RM361 fridge in a 1985 Bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2019, 05:48 PM   #1

Name: Kris
Trailer: Bigfoot
SK
Dometic RM361 fridge in a 1985 Bigfoot

Hi all,

I'm new here, and hoping someone can assist me. I just bought a 1985 Bigfoot 17' trailer, and it's got, what I assume, is the original RM361 fridge, by dometic.

I'm trying to test it out on LP. I've read some manuals, watched some YouTube, and I believe I'm lighting it correctly. I can light my stove without problems, and everything that I can tell should be working.

However, when I go to light the fridge, the indicator window Sparks orange, and keeps a slight orange light in the window. It may be lit, but I'm really not sure. Everything I've seen seems to indicate that the indicator window should be a blue flame once it's fully lit. I get no blue flame.

I leave the fridge for a bit, and when I got back the flame is so slight that I'm sometimes not sure it's even still there. I spark the ignitor again, and get the orange spark and flame again.

I've opened the back panel, and the pipes are warm to the touch, but not hot enough to burn. I can hear no propane flow from anywhere.

I'm a complete trailer noob, as well as a fiberglass noob. Hoping someone will have some ideas as to what's going on here. I know it's a super old fridge...

Thanks,
Kris K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
If your seeing a flame that’s a good thing. You need to now take your burner assembly apart and clean.

You may have a fuel and or pressure problem but, one thing at a time.
Utube will have several videos on how to clean and service.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:37 PM   #3

SK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
If your seeing a flame that’s a good thing. You need to now take your burner assembly apart and clean.

So I took the cover off of the burner assembly, and I see that it looks like it's disconnected from the gas line. Is it supposed to look that way?

Here's a pic. I uploaded it to Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfz9ig13a4...83405.jpg?dl=0
Old 08-05-2019, 07:23 PM   #4

SK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post

I've taken the cover off of the burner assembly, and I notice two things:

1) there is about a 1/2" gap between the gas line and the burner assembly. Is this how it's supposed to be? Image included.

2) The flame seems low to me. I've attached an image of the burner while lit.

Question:. It seems really difficult to remove the burner assembly. Can I clean it while it's still in it's housing? What's the best way to do that?

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190805_183405.jpg   IMG_20190805_183959.jpg  

Old 08-05-2019, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
The flame looks the right color and size.
You can clean with compressed air, canned air. The main part to clean is from the air gap through the burner tube. Spiders tend to build there nest in that tube.
It is sticky and with the low pressure of the LP gas can’t get passed the blockage.

Clean the soot off the end of the igniter also, again watch the videos will give you a good start in trouble shooting this problem.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:53 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
+1 on the videos.. no need for us to try to explain in a few words what is shown so well on many online videos. The videos show better than I could describe anyway. But watch a bunch of them since you can usually pick up more tips from more videos. Further disassembly is usually not needed, except minor disassembly for removing and cleaning the jet orifice. Its not too hard but must be done right so as not to damage the orifice. The fridge does not need to be removed (at least not at this point). Since you will be using a potentially explosive gas, hire a pro if you are not comfortable with it after watching the videos.

The flame does look good in the photo (as best as one can tell from a photo). Keep in mind the fridge must be level and it will take hours to cool, longer if you stock it with room temperature things (such as canned drinks).

And it is generally recommended to get a professional LP system inspection annually. There are things to check beyond static pressure and some specialized equipment is used.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #7

SK
Ok, thanks for the advice, guys. I won't be able to follow up with this until the weekend, but I'll get back with my results.

Tags
bigfoot, fridge