Painting a New Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2019, 11:50 PM   #1

Name: Josie
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Painting a New Scamp

I'm picking up my new Scamp in Nov and intending to have the exterior painted at some point in the near future. White is so boring I'm looking for info on painting over the new gel coat. Everything I've found is about painting trailers with old gel coats. I don't want to do the work myself (and make a mess of it...) so who would I hire and what type of products should they be using? Thanks!
Jo in CO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
White reflects heat. And, that's all I have to say about that.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It’s common to paint the bottom only. That would preserve the reflective properties where it counts most.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F77402E-860C-498B-B65D-9FEFF77AF43B.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	130912

With a brand new trailer, you might look into a wrap instead of paint. I’ve seen some pretty cool results.

If you do go with paint, consider a layer of bedliner or similar chip-resistant coating on the lower front under the paint. A marine or auto shop that does fiberglass (think Corvettes) can advise about the best kind of paint. The thin fiberglass shell flexes quite a bit, so you need a paint that can flex with it.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Instead of paint, which is a permanent change, how about some terrific decals to make your white trailer uniquely your own? Anything can be created, you just need an imagination. Easy enough to change when you get tired of it too. Just keep the trailer well waxed, otherwise you end up with 'ghosting' when the decals are removed.
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:42 AM   #5

Colorado
I like the "just the bottom half" look. A vinyl wrap is such a cool idea. It should protect the original paint. And we could change it later.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Maryland
How would that body wrap work out? I don't think is particularly inexpensive, but I don't think paint is either. It's not permanent and I guess you could change it every couple of years if your mood changes. Just a thought. Have fun
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:04 AM   #7

Name: Vicki
Trailer: 2019 Scamp 13' with 2015 Nissan Frontier V6
Alabama
I've always loved the red on bottom with white on top vintage look. I would like to make my Scamp look like that but was afraid to paint it. I never thought about wrapping it! I'm going to look into that!
Vicki Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:31 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Painting a New Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo in CO View Post
I like the "just the bottom half" look. A vinyl wrap is such a cool idea. It should protect the original paint. And we could change it later.
Just to be clear... There is no “original paint.” The outer layer of a molded fiberglass trailer is gelcoat, a thin cosmetic layer of tinted resin sprayed into the mold before the thicker structural layer of glass-infused resin. With regular waxing and covered storage it can last a long, long time. Its greatest enemy is UV exposure.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #9

Colorado
Is the gel coat tinted white? I wasn't quite clear if there was paint over the gel coat or not so thanks for clarifying.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #10

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Yes the gel coat is white. Actually depends on the manufacturers. Gel coat on my Trillium is a pale yellow.

The thing about gel coat is it can last pretty much forever. Once you paint over it, it becomes a routine job like painting a house. The gel coat on my Trillium is 42 years old and looking good. I did polish it last year. And it is stored in a carport.

A professional paint job is quite expensive. It’s like getting a car painted but it has a lot more surface to cover. Then you have the preparation, masking, etc.

Check at your favorite auto body/paint shop or a boat dealership. In my area, a professional job would be thousands of dollars. No doubt this is one reason people paint themselves. Think about painting around every opening, every rivet, etc. And then painting every rivet cap. If you just paint over the rivets cap and all, then replacing a rivet is going to disturb the paint job.

To me, the solution to a boring paint color is the use of accessories: cushion fabrics, paint interior cabinet doors, awning, outside chairs, tablecloth, whatever.

I found the fake wood/vinyl covered doors in my Trillium were disgusting. So I sealed them and painted them with cabinet paint. It really helped the interior.

Took this picture a couple of weeks ago. 42 years old and going strong!

1977 Trillium 1300 Mt Pisgah NP CG by wrk101, on Flickr
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #11

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I bought my trailer because I LOVED the paint job.

However, as someone pointed out, ALL those little caps need to "keep their color" or it just detracts from the whole thing. Looks like the trailer has chicken pox.

I would say, go with the wrap, overall would be less expensive, and easier. If at some time you chose to replace, it is easy to do. With my trailer, would need to remove ALL the paint (remember those little caps?) which would end up adding to the cost.

MonB
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I'd spend the money on camping, food and drink. When you are inside the trailer, who cares what colour it is outside?
Old 08-09-2019, 07:14 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Painting a New Scamp

Sounds like me, Glenn.

Even so, I’m not opposed to others who have the resources and desire to customize their trailers, to restore vintage vehicles, and in general do other “unnecessary” things that make the world interesting.

Besides, other than sleeping, who goes camping to spend much time inside the trailer?
Old 08-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #14

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
By all means, your money, your choice. Just don’t be shocked with the price of a professional paint job. A trailer that relies on rivets for construction is much harder.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
Being a retired body shop mgr. for over 30 years with a large DFW auto dealer I can tell you that that would be the biggest mistake you could make on a new trailer. I can think of many reasons not to do it, chipping and peeling would be at the top of my list, plus any good paint job on a trailer of that size would probably be in the $3000.00 plus range, just a waste of money from what I can see. I can see painting a 20-30 years old trailer on a restore, but that's a total different story. I can see where some would think a repaint would be total happiness to there new trailer, actually it would be the start of total unhappiness on there first chip from rocks, etc. I'd do decals if it were me.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
have you checked whether Scamp would do a custom gelcoat color on the bottom half or the whole trailer? It wouldn't be too much trouble one would think. Not sure if they would be willing but what would it cost to ask.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #17

Name: Kim
Trailer: uhaul
Washington
Our camper is orange

The previous owners of our UHaul C13 painted it orange and it's so cute! They had it done at an auto body shop.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #18

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
WRAP IT!

Quicker, Cheaper, your design opportunities are endless and a wrap is REMOVABLE when you want to sell the trailer and you will sell that trailer at some point. When you remove the wrap the exterior shell will still look brand new due to NO sun, weather and UV damage if you wrap the trailer when brand new.

Wrap technology has changed exponentially for the better since 2003 and is now very good with laminating of the wrap for UV and stone protection.

NO WAY I would even consider painting a fiberglass trailer today when much cheaper, QUICKER, easier and much longer lasting technology is readily available!

With painting you have to deal with Dead Beat auto body shops that never produce what they say they will in a timely manner and their think their work is gold as in EXPENSIVE. Who wants that HASSLE? A wrap will be completed in 1-3 days at most and you are on your way!

Right now I am getting ready to WRAP my 1985 Toyota SR5 4Runner I am building . It's going to look GREAT with a "Maps of the World" look representing my Overland travels.

Below is a pic of one of my trailers wrapped in 2003. It has sat OUTSIDE every day since then. Still looks pretty good 16 years later!
Attached Thumbnails
20170216_172415_resized.jpg   20170216_172432_resized.jpg  

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:33 AM   #19

Name: Ginny
Trailer: Shopping
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
It’s common to paint the bottom only. That would preserve the reflective properties where it counts most.
Attachment 130912

With a brand new trailer, you might look into a wrap instead of paint. I’ve seen some pretty cool results.

If you do go with paint, consider a layer of bedliner or similar chip-resistant coating on the lower front under the paint. A marine or auto shop that does fiberglass (think Corvettes) can advise about the best kind of paint. The thin fiberglass shell flexes quite a bit, so you need a paint that can flex with it.
Great color!
ginnyjayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:41 PM   #20

Name: Melissa
Trailer: Tote n tarry
Mississippi
Painting a Scamp look a like

Here is my Scamp like camper. I painted the whole thing white. Then I repainted the bottom red. Then I added vinyl shutters and my says on the sides and back. I also added a vinyl flower box and flowers
Attached Thumbnails
7DFDE5AE-0D5E-4F29-A4FE-1A1E9450CBB2.jpg  
Melissa in Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting, scamp