I'm thinking about buying this Lil Bigfoot, why is there a metal bar bolted inside? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2019, 09:41 AM   #1

Name: Abe
Trailer: Shopping
British Columbia
I'm thinking about buying this Lil Bigfoot, why is there a metal bar bolted inside?

Hello,
I'm a new member here and am actively looking to buy a 13 foot (ish) fiberglass trailer. I'm basically asking for some advice about the Lil Bigfoot I'm planning to have a look at this later this week.

https://whistler.craigslist.org/rvs/6945774740.html

I can't figure out what the purpose or of the bar mounted horizontally just in front of the rear overhead storage cabinets is. Does anyone have any ideas? It seems to be bolted through the fiberglass as it can be seen on the exterior pictures just behind the side windows as well as at the very top of the last interior photo. There owner doesn't know what it was for but does tell me that there used to be an AC unit on this trailer.

The inner upholstery is coming loose and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have a recommendation of a place near Vancouver that could do that work?

Any other comments would be appreciated! I'm a bit wary as the trailer has been for sale for I think a couple of months which seems atypical but I can't see anything obvious red flags. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!
AbeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Why don't you ask the seller what the bar is for? It might be a personalization of some kind.
Good luck on your egg hunt...it looks like a cute trailer!

Kathleen
Old 09-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #3

British Columbia
Haha good suggestion! Unfortunately he doesn't know as apparently it was added by the previous owner...
Old 09-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #4

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
metal bar

Difficult to tell from the photo....is it or does it support the curtain track on the back window?

Cute, functional trailer, looks in good condition, ready to go.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Abe - Is it possible that the bar was used to hang clothes?
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBB View Post
Abe - Is it possible that the bar was used to hang clothes?
If it was used for hanging things there should be some wear marks showing on the top corners.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #7

Registry
We have three large rods across the top of Peanut, two for privacy curtains/clothes rods, and one across the Putin just for the privacy curtain...as there is an actual clothes rod behind it. We use plastic hangers and the rods show literally no wear after our entire 8 outings. (Minimizing for comic effect.) But maybe you can use it for something you think up...I bet you will eventually think of seven great ideas for it.

Myself, I can think of three right now. But I don't want to say and spoil it for you when you come up with some!

BEST
Kai
"K"
Old 09-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Why don't you ask the seller what the bar is for? It might be a personalization of some kind.
Good luck on your egg hunt...it looks like a cute trailer!

Kathleen
If you read the post you'll see he asked the owner.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #9

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeT View Post
Hello,
I'm a new member here and am actively looking to buy a 13 foot (ish) fiberglass trailer. I'm basically asking for some advice about the Lil Bigfoot I'm planning to have a look at this later this week.

I can't figure out what the purpose or of the bar mounted horizontally just in front of the rear overhead storage cabinets is. Does anyone have any ideas? It seems to be bolted through the fiberglass as it can be seen on the exterior pictures just behind the side windows as well as at the very top of the last interior photo. There owner doesn't know what it was for but does tell me that there used to be an AC unit on this trailer.

The inner upholstery is coming loose and needs to be replaced. Does anyone have a recommendation of a place near Vancouver that could do that work?

Any other comments would be appreciated! I'm a bit wary as the trailer has been for sale for I think a couple of months which seems atypical but I can't see anything obvious red flags. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!
The only thing I see is the door is crooked. Looks like a gap at top. Looks cute and in good condition for its age. If all the stuff works it is worth it. Just make sure title is good.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #10

Registry
Jann Todd: thanks. Your concern is duly noted. The OP also replied to me if you'll read the thread and pointed out the same thing, but more clearly than in the first post, since I am obviously an idiot. Appreciate the heads up.

BEST
"K"
Old 09-26-2019, 04:32 PM   #11

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
The reason for it still being listed could be the price,its a bit on the high side 8500.00 would be more reasonable than the 9500.00 . There are not many around but personally if its in great condition then somewhere between 8000.00 & 8500.00 should be the right ballpark.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:36 PM   #12

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
TN
Registry
Looks like a shelf or the front bar for a shelf.
Eric Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:04 PM   #13

Name: Jimmy
Trailer: 1991 Lil Bigfoot
Ontario
Hi AbeT,

I have a lil bigfoot and absolutely love it. They're great trailers, and are very well built.

The door alignment should be fixable. These trailers use basic RV doors, so if all else fails, it's replaceable.

Its pretty hard to speculate what the bar does. I can tell you that it isn't stock.

As for other thoughts, be aware that these trailers have a weird non-parallel frame rail setup. Axle replacement isn't as straightforward as a boler or trillium in these little guys (ie. can be pricey).

Since the interior fabric is coming off the walls, check the condition of the foam insulation underneath it. It can be a bigger job if you need to replace the insulation as well.

I hope the trailer works out for you! I love our lil bigfoot!
Jim J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:33 PM   #14

Name: Jimmy
Trailer: 1991 Lil Bigfoot
Ontario
Just had a thought about the bar. It looks like it's connected in both sides across the entire trailer.

The rear cabinets are hung from the ceiling of the lil bigfoot from the factory. If you look inside the cabinets, you should see two verticlal metal rods that go from the roof through the bottom of the cabinets. You should see two nuts on outside, bottom of the cabinets screwed into the rods. If these aren't there, the horizontal bar may be supporting the cabinets.
Jim J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #15

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Smile bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbeT View Post
Hello,

Thanks for your help!
Umm..handcuff the wife to so she will finish washing the dishes?
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:20 AM   #16

British Columbia
Thanks for your help! On Thursday we came across a trillium that seemed right for us and ended up buying it before having a chance to look at the Bigfoot so I guess the purpose of that bar it is still a mystery.

Thanks for all your thoughts and ideas!
Old 10-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #17

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
The only thing I see is the door is crooked.
With the door that crooked I would examine the frame real good especially where the tongue bends just under the front of the trailer for cracks and or repairs
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot