Tow Vehicle for 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #21

Name: STEVE
Trailer: 2007 Casita 17' Freedom
CO
Tow vehicle

Hi Jane,
I live in Evergreen and have a 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe. I tow with a Toyota Tacoma with the towing package. I have towed the Casita to Pagosa Springs and back and around the local area and it tows awesome.
I believe the 4Runner with the towing package will do just fine for you. I like Toyotas because they run so well and the maintenance is minimal and the repairs almost zero.
Congratulations on a brand new Spirit Deluxe! Mine is a 2007 as is my Tacoma.
Happy RVing! Steve
stevescrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #22

Name: Russell
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Another Ridgeline fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’m a Honda fan, so you can take that as my bias, but I’ll throw out a couple of options to consider.

The new Passport has the same drivetrain and 5000/500# rating as the Pilot, but it’s shorter, sits on a raised suspension, and looks less like a minivan.

The Ridgeline’s open bed allows easier transporting of bulky toys like bikes while towing. It has a higher tongue weight rating (5000/600#) to better handle a Casita 17 and drives and handles similar to the Pilot/Passport on which it is based, making it a reasonable daily driver.
We’ve had two Casita SD’s and two Honda Ridgelines (2006 and current 2012). The Ridgeline is perhaps the ideal TV given its hidden, locking “tub” in the bed, it’s two-way tailgate, its versatility when not towing, and it’s comfortable ride. The RTL comes equipped with a complete tow package sufficient for a Casita and associated “stuff,” and its drivetrain, while not overwhelming, is adequate. It handles highways and mountains reasonably well, but it’s not a high-torque diesel, so expectations need to be adjusted accordingly. I’ve never met another Ridgeline owner who was disappointed with performance when towing, and they all really like every other dimension. Just don’t try to convince the ideological purists that it’s a truck, as if it matters.
Procyonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:33 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Another vote for the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Mine has the 5.7 Hemi, but the 6 cylinder should do fine.

ALWAYS boost tow capacity if you can. I like to have double trailer weight. JMO
VK Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I don't believe a higher axle would be a problem since it is not that much more.

I have "high lift" on my Escape. The axle isn't lifted at all. The trailer frame and trailer is raised 2 3/8".
Old 11-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #25

Name: Dan
Trailer: Casita 17 SD
Florida
Towing a new Casita

Your tug will work for a while and very well if your path is off of the Interstates. If you need to travel quickly then a more robust TV will add comfort to the journey.
I have traveled annually to Michigan from central FL with my Casita 17 SD behind a GMC Envoy Denali that has a V8 engine and was specifically built for towing. The power and weight of the SUV makes traveling on I-75, I-10 and I-65 reasonably comfortable. Going north from Ocala, FL I stop over at London, KY for the night about 660 miles allowing me to reach Traverse City the next day. Fuel mileage towing on the Interstate by the computer was 15.75 mpg. Not bad for an 11 year old GMC. Current similar vehicles would be the GMC Yukon or the Chev Tahoe.
The Toyota will function for you but you may find a lack of power difficult and later decide to find something more...in the Toyota line there is the Sequoia.
JaxDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janel View Post
I just ordered a 2020 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe with the High Lift axle. Now I need to get a tow vehicle. Will a Toyota 4Runner do the job? Is there a better choice? Is bigger better? I don't want a truck or an SUV that drives and looks like a station wagon. Thanks for all your help. I love the descussions on this forum.
Jane
drives and looks like a station wagon...

then there's that...
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #27

Name: Robert
SD
vehicle to tow 17' Casita

In February I went from SD to TX to pick up my 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe with the lift kit. I took a 2015 Nissan 4 door long-bed Frontier. Started out in a blizzard through SD, stopped the first night in Oklahoma City in an ice storm. My truck is rated at 6200 towing capacity. As we are leaving the factory in Rice,TX I hooked up my sway bar and went to get my electric brake controller that I just installed and realized it was sitting on the kitchen table. Had no problems bringing it home. Everything went smoothly even with the north winds on the way back. Good luck on your new camper.
RCF13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:29 PM   #28

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by janel View Post
I just ordered a 2020 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe with the High Lift axle. Now I need to get a tow vehicle. Will a Toyota 4Runner do the job? Is there a better choice? Is bigger better? I don't want a truck or an SUV that drives and looks like a station wagon. Thanks for all your help. I love the descussions on this forum.

Jane

Jane, I tow a 17’ escape with my 2012 4runner. It does a great job as long as shifting appropriately going up & down elevation which there is plenty of here in the west. I love the interior space, high clearance & 4wd. Will most likely replace this one (114000 miles) with a limited. Want that rear view camera to make hitching easier. I did install rear airbags due to sag. With that said, I’m sure there are more up to date vehicles out there with many more safety features although the 2020’s have included some.

I did see a new vw atlas that was intriguing.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:35 PM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2019 Casita SD, former HiLo and Sunline
Florida
We have a 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe and tow with a 2015 Honda Odyssey (front-wheel drive!) equipped with a transmission cooler, brake controller, and air bag suspension. We use the Andersen WDH. On tows from N. Florida to Michigan and back we run at 65 mph and get an average 14 mpg. We’ve had no problems with hills and elevations on I-75, and no problems with sway. This said, we are planning to tow throughout the inter-mountain west and are looking at more powerful AWD or RWD tow-vehicle candidates that can also serve as daily drivers. Aforesaid candidates include the Chevy Traverse, the Tahoe, the 4Runner, the Grand Cherokee and the Honda Ridgeline. So many choices! Perhaps others on this site can help us narrow the field!
Dave40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:36 PM   #30

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDan View Post
Your tug will work for a while and very well if your path is off of the Interstates. If you need to travel quickly then a more robust TV will add comfort to the journey.
I have traveled annually to Michigan from central FL with my Casita 17 SD behind a GMC Envoy Denali that has a V8 engine and was specifically built for towing. The power and weight of the SUV makes traveling on I-75, I-10 and I-65 reasonably comfortable. Going north from Ocala, FL I stop over at London, KY for the night about 660 miles allowing me to reach Traverse City the next day. Fuel mileage towing on the Interstate by the computer was 15.75 mpg. Not bad for an 11 year old GMC. Current similar vehicles would be the GMC Yukon or the Chev Tahoe.
The Toyota will function for you but you may find a lack of power difficult and later decide to find something more...in the Toyota line there is the Sequoia.
Interstates are designed with on and off ramps , controlled access, limited grades and no stop and go. That makes them actually better for less "robust" TVs. It takes only between 5 and 10% of a vehicle's HP to maintain 60MPH. but most of it to accelerate to that same speed.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #31

Name: Robert
Washington
I towed my 17' SD with a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe with the factory hitch (rated at 5000 lbs.) The rig had plenty of power to go the speed limit up and down all WA hills, but required the usual brake controller addition. The rig passed a stress test when the elderly drunk pulled out in front of us as we were cruising down a four lane divided highway. We did massive damage to his Avalanche, shortened our SF about 18", bent the frame of the Casita (total loss), bent the stinger so that the ball was driven into the bumper, but the SF doors still opened and the hitch showed no signs of damage. (And no Takata airbags!). We walked away.
RockyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #32

Name: Bill
Oregon
4Runner/17’ Casita Spirit Dlx

I have been towing my 2015 17’ Spirit Dlx w/ high clearance four years now with a 2014 4Runner V6 and have been satisfied with the performance. On paved highways/Interstates I can make the speed limit without problems, even crossing Oregon’s Blue Mountains. On back country roads my problems have been with the Casita and not the 4 Runner. (The rivets and the cabinet and window latches have problems with the vibration.) The trailer follows well; I could have done w/o the stabilizer. But, when it comes to power the 4Runner is not a Dodge Ram.
Youlanzhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #33

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
I use my Toyota 4Runner to tow my horse trailer and two horses. The tow weight limit is 5,000 lbs., so it should have no problems with a Casita! I used to use our Ford F150 for this, but I have to say the 4Runner is MUCH more smooth and comfortable. I use my Honda Odyssey van (3,500 tow limit) to tow my little 16' Scamp as hubby likes the 4Runner as his day-to-day car. Have fun!!!
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:42 PM   #34
Peb

Name: Peb
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie in Florida View Post
Hi, I have the same Casita and after a lot of research and help from folks on this site, decided on a 4WD Jeep Grand Cherokee with the factory tow package. While I have not gotten as much experience with towing (picked up Casita in March 2019 at the factory), what I have done so far (about 2500 miles) has been really positive. And, I had no real experience with towing before.

I do use a sway bar and have traveled in several states including e some hilly but not mountainous areas. I also use the Jeep as my everyday car and am very happy with it. Hope this helps.
Good info thanks.
Peb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #35

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Towing a Casita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len S View Post
Not sure what your purpose was to order a high lift trailer axle , unless you are planning on doing a lot of off road camping. The higher the trailer the more sway you can encounter and then you can run into much more expensive and complex trailer to tow vehicle hitches. The other considerations are : how do the steps fit or do you now need something below the entry steps. The "L" shaped receiver that goes into the 2 inch
frame hitch that the trailer hitch bolts on to can be made to keep the standard trailer level when hooked up; regardless how high the tow vehicle.
Like buying the buggy before the horse ! I would rethink that decision.
I had my 17ft Casita SD raised 4 inches by a local welding shop. I do a fair amount of off road getting to BLM and Forest Service campgrounds.

There are several things that cause sway:
Too much weight behind the trailer axel, IE, water tank full plus
everything else piled on the bed.
Trailer hitch to high, the trailer is pitched up at the tow vehicle. The
trailer needs to be level or just a bit below level at the tow vehicle.
Heavy cross winds with an 18 wheeler passing.
Not holding the steering wheel steady.

Notice, trailer height was not included.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita