Casita windows come open while towing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
GA
Casita windows come open while towing

Has anyone had problems with their windows opening while towing? Several times now I have towed my camper and found the windows (vibrate?) open while traveling. Big problem when raining!

Driver side window (emerg) latch locks down, but other side window and rear window latch locks up. Seems to be more of a problem with driver side.
yolams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Our back window has come open when not locked properly. These will help.....

https://www.amazon.com/Sliding-Windo...9KXGWY9W4K2CK9
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:27 AM   #3

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Yes mine did also. The latches on the window are worthless. I cut down a yardstick to the length I wanted for each window. Drilled a hole and put in a nylon bolt in the top corner and painted the wood black. You will need someway to pull out the wooden stick because it will jam a bit as the window tries to slide open. I tried just drilling a finger hole but that did not work so well. I used these on every window that opened. It worked very well. The stick is placed in the bottom channel, or track, of the window. The yardstick is the perfect width of the channel.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #4

Name: Laurette
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17' 2014
Arizona
We had the same problem. I cut strips of wood 3 inches long by 3/8" wide and about 1/4" thick (mine are 5/16 to be exact). They are painted black with a small eyelet for a handle on one end and Velcro on the other side. Velcro is stuck on the window almost under the latch and the wedge is stuck onto that. The latch can't go out of position with the wedge under it. To use window, simply grab the handle (eyelet) and lift out of place. Really easy! I put the wedge in the top of the blinds for safe keeping when I want to open window.
Laurizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I used a hardwood dowel cut to fit that dropped into the track
They never budged
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 07:58 PM   #6

Casita window opens

We have a 2008 Spirit Deluxe. The rear window has long opened even though we have always locked it. Two years ago while we were about 2 hours from home on eastern Long Island we made a routine rest stop and discovered that we were locked out. Since we were close to our service dealer we drove there hoping that they would easily drill out the lock and open the door. However, they told us that they could not do this. So we continued home. I did drill out the lock cylinder only to discover that this solved nothing. So we walked around the trailer looking for an idea--and discovered the slightly-opened rear window! Now checking to be sure that our rear window is unlocked is part of our breaking-camp routine.
Charles Ihlenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 10:32 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
Our back window has come open when not locked properly. These will help.....

https://www.amazon.com/Sliding-Windo...9KXGWY9W4K2CK9
These locks will not work on our Casita windows. We've tried them. Our back window slid open so we cut a stick like a yardstick and put it in the channel. No more sliding and so far the stick hasn't come out. We put sticks in the other windows that the locks go up just to make sure they don't open.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:34 AM   #8

Name: Steve
GA
Thanks everyone - good suggestions! I will try the yardstick idea.
yolams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:21 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
73 Amerigo FG-16 windows came open during travel; we finally used a clip-clamp type office paper clip to hold it in place...every different window style could use a different elegant solution...don't know our clips are "elegant" but we had enough already and they've worked fine. Elegant as a solution, to me means simple, easy, affordable, and works just as you wanted.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
cheaper than a yard stick would be a paint stir stick---free at any paint store. same width. same thickness. alot cheaper.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 05:45 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Small bulldog clip attached to the lower rail does the trick.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:12 PM   #12

Name: Jerrybob
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
These locks will not work on our Casita windows. We've tried them. Our back window slid open so we cut a stick like a yardstick and put it in the channel. No more sliding and so far the stick hasn't come out. We put sticks in the other windows that the locks go up just to make sure they don't open.
Have had one on my back Casita window for 6 years.....maybe I am just lucky.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:05 PM   #13

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Wink Windows

We too had the same problem w or Casita , but finally figured out that one window locked by pushing DOWN and two locked by pushing UP..the odd man out was the one wh was opening sometimes. Pain the keester til we figgered it out. Hpe the new Escape21 is better.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
It looks to me like some interesting solutions to a simple problem. Most likely you the track needs to be cleaned so the window closes all the way.

It's easy to test close the window lock it then try to open it. if it opens there's probably something that's keeping it from closing.

Old 12-03-2019, 11:51 AM   #15

Tennessee
I cleaned the tracks the very first thing and made sure the window latched. The problem is, at least on the Casita, the latches are weak and will unlatch when going over bumps. I tried messing with the latch in various ways. Ultimately the only thing that worked was the yardstick. It fit nicely in the tract and I made sure it fit snugly lengthwise. I actually have a smaller length to use to keep the window partially open. I just don't want kids to crawl in through a window.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:53 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Casita windows come open while towing

Byron, on my Scamp the latch is just a tab of plastic that slides into a vertical slot. It can easily vibrate open, even it properly closed when you start out. It happened numerous times when I first got my trailer. I initially suspected what you describe, but it continued to occur after I made sure the windows started out fully closed and latched.

I take it yours doesn’t do that. Perhaps some windows have slightly oversized slots? Mine have quite a bit of play when the tab is in the slot.

Now, when I close my windows for towing, I pull the window back a bit until it puts some pressure on the tab. Most of the time that’s all it takes to keep it closed. A bulldog clip on the window track is a backup.

I don’t know if Casita windows are the same or not.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #17

Tennessee
Jon, Yep Casita is the same, probably same window mfg.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:04 PM   #18

Name: Frank
Vermont
window opening fix

On my 1996 Casita 17' SS the windows vibrated open because the little plastic latch didn't reach the sliding window that it was supposed to hold. Using a heat gun I just softened the plastic to bend them in enough to get a good grip on the sliding part. Once adjusted they have worked fine for years. If you have this type of latch it is a simple fix.
Yardsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #19

Tennessee
Frank, what an ingenious solution. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:11 PM   #20

Name: tom
Connecticut
Easy fix

Based on the many responses, this is clearly a common problem. what we have done is simply apply a little piece of masking tape to the responsible latch. This effectively prevents the window from opening and is easily removed when you want to have it open.
hts1190 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, windows