Rear Window Leak in Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp
California
Rear Window Leak in Scamp 13'

We live in SoCal, so leaks really aren't something we look for. But last month (Dec 2019) we had a few days of moderate rain, and didn't think anything more about it. When we went to ready our Scamp for our Feb trip, we found that the rear window was leaking. It damaged the seat access panel (in sealed pressboard and water never works).

An exterior spray down showed the weep holes in the bottom of the window had clogged (I eventually found insect husks and grunge from brush fires had plugged the wrap holes).

I cleared and cleaned the window tracks, getting water/Windex to flow freely, but found under even a light sprinkle from a hose, the water was still backing up, and pouring over the interior edge of the window.
There seems to be a design flaw with the window (ours is a 13' 2013 Scamp with factory windows).

What happens is there are only two 1/2-3/4" weap holes for a 30'' window. The outer rubber gasket is higher than any part of the frame, so if water does accumulate in the tracks, it has no where to go but inside the trailer.

No matter how well I cleaned the channels, a test would result in some water flowing into the trailer.

In my mind, the only solution was to increase the amount of weep holes, so I removed the rubber gasket and channel track and drilled 6 holes closer to the corner of the window.

After I reassembled the window and water tested it, it drained fine, even under a heavy spray. If the problem returns, I'll have to use a Dremel to open up the six holes and make a channel.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200123_124729.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	132945Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200123_124747.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	132946Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200123_130825.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	132947Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20200123_135859.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	132948
Berthaduniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:54 AM   #2
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
They look like Hehr windows. If so, the design flaw is in the application. They are designed to be installed vertical. I have the same problem on my Trillium. Water runs down the edge, into the upper slot and because of the angle, into the inner channel instead of out the weep hole. Eventually the channel fills high enough to reach the weep hole before it over flows, so nothing comes in the trailer. In my case additional weep holes would not help. To avoid the puddle, I added a sponge.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Rear Window Leak in Scamp 13'

Rear sliding windows on Scamps are vertical. Side windows are not. It depends on how the trailer is parked for storage, though. If the trailer is stored tongue down, that could be contributing. Try tongue up instead.

My galley crank-out window is prone to spill a little water. Fortunately it drips onto the fiberglass counter. Never more than a silver dollar-sized puddle.

I’ve never had an issue with the two small side sliders over the dinette benches even though they slant inward slightly. The track on the sliding side is pretty short and the drain slot seems to keep up.

And yes, I do know wet. We’ve had two back-to-back rainy years in eastern AZ.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I travel with the tongue down travelling down the road, which adds to the problem. On the Trillium the rear window is an egress on one side and for some reason there are no weep holes on that side either.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:48 AM   #5

Arizona
Registry
Adding a drip cap above the offending window might help.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:25 AM   #6

California
Morning Raz. She's parked level front to rear and about a half bubble off left to right. Our side windows are all crank-out, and we've seen no issues there. I'm pretty sure, the insect and brushfire ash made for pretty gooey blockage that hadn't shown up till this year. I'm kinda pissed about the swelling around the access panel cover, it's downright ugly now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
They look like Hehr windows. If so, the design flaw is in the application. They are designed to be installed vertical. I have the same problem on my Trillium. Water runs down the edge, into the upper slot and because of the angle, into the inner channel instead of out the weep hole. Eventually the channel fills high enough to reach the weep hole before it over flows, so nothing comes in the trailer. In my case additional weep holes would not help. To avoid the puddle, I added a sponge.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #7

California
You have pretty much nailed the problem. Having moved/added the new weep holes, I've removed the build up possible in the corner. Also, it's the corner that is easier to get to and clean out, because the rubber guide channel along the bottom ends about an inch shy of the new holes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Old 01-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #8

California
Good morning Jon: Sadly, I can't speak to how other Scamps are/were configured, as we bought this one used from the original owner who had it done custom for them, so maybe the window configuration was changed. Our rear window is a horizontal slider with the original weep holes placed along the bottom edge (see pics), so it seems to be mounted properly per the windows drainage design. So IMO, it this windows gasket design that allows any water backup to flow inward (and I'd have to have the hitch 4' off the ground to compensate for the bad design). Our other windows are all crank-out, and have not leaked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Rear sliding windows on Scamps are vertical. Side windows are not. It depends on how the trailer is parked for storage, though. If the trailer is stored tongue down, that could be contributing. Try tongue up instead.

My galley crank-out window is prone to spill a little water. Fortunately it drips onto the fiberglass counter. Never more than a silver dollar-sized puddle.

I’ve never had an issue with the two small side sliders over the dinette benches even though they slant inward slightly. The track on the sliding side is pretty short and the drain slot seems to keep up.

And yes, I do know wet. We’ve had two back-to-back rainy years in eastern AZ.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
It might be worthwhile to compare yours to another Scamp. They’ve used a radius slider in that location since the mid-80’s without major issues or significant changes. Since you suspect the gasket, check to see if other Scamps look the same.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The problem is common and the rinse and clear with a wire method works on windows which are not too dirty.
Occasionally they must be cleaned with a further step.
Dirt, leaves and debris gets under the track, which resists cleaning with the wire from outside.
When this happens, you must remove the screen, open the window all the way, then carefully lift the bottom fuzzy track out of the groove as far as the fixed window. (just lift it out of the track don't remove it)

Physically clean the track then scrub under the fixed side using a flat object like maybe a good sized zip tie.
Rinse thoroughly then reassemble the window.
You should be fine after that if you clean the window in the conventional way more often.
The rear window on just about any vehicle gets dirtier that the others and must be cleaned more often.
Hope this helps.
It works for my Scamp and I have found it to work for many others
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #11

California
Good morning Floyd. As mentioned, I have done all that (see pics) and it was still leaking into the trailer. Granted, the trailer isn't stored on a perfectly level driveway, IMO it's close enough to count (about a half bubble off left to right). As some have replied here, it seems common enough given the right/wrong type of build-up in the tracks.

So again, my point is, a proper design would have placed emphasis on water flowing outward if those tiny weep holes become plugged. Further, the placement of the weep holes are too few and too far away from the corners.

I just wanted people to be aware, it is something that needs to be cleaned and watched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The problem is common and the rinse and clear with a wire method works on windows which are not too dirty.
Occasionally they must be cleaned with a further step.
Dirt, leaves and debris gets under the track, which resists cleaning with the wire from outside.
When this happens, you must remove the screen, open the window all the way, then carefully lift the bottom fuzzy track out of the groove as far as the fixed window. (just lift it out of the track don't remove it)

Physically clean the track then scrub under the fixed side using a flat object like maybe a good sized zip tie.
Rinse thoroughly then reassemble the window.
You should be fine after that if you clean the window in the conventional way more often.
The rear window on just about any vehicle gets dirtier that the others and must be cleaned more often.
Hope this helps.
It works for my Scamp and I have found it to work for many others

Tags
scamp