What’s structural ‘84 bigfoot - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2020, 11:23 AM   #1

Name: Brynn
Trailer: Bigfoot 17’ 1984
Manitoba
What’s structural ‘84 bigfoot

Hi all,
I have 17ft 1984 Bigfoot. Looking to make some changes to suit our needs better - but how do I know what’s structural inside?
Can it be completely gutted, stay that way and be structurally sound? I’m having a hard time finding anyone that’s done this... so maybe that’s my answer..
But to move forward I need to know what has to stay, or at least where support needs to be put if I remove something.
Any info appreciated - thank you
Brynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Don’t know on the BF, but on otherbrands everything is structural. And anything vertical is likely supporting roof. Anything near the door tends to be structural too. Even the horizontal stuff can be structural.

Best bet is to contact BF direct.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17G
Oregon
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...RV+-+Emails%29
bobblangley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #4

Name: Annie
Trailer: Parkliner
Oregon
Thank you for the wall repair link. I too am looking at a lot of work on a 17ft Bigfoot.

I bought a 1983 17ft Bigfoot in Dec 2019 to replace my 1981 13ft Burro that didn't have enough headroom for my husband, that a large branch had landed on the roof. Several windows had been knocked loose and where leaking. Plus most of the roof insulation was knocked down and bad repairs where the branch cracked the fiberglass in the roof. I bought it knowing it was going to need a full gut and rebuild.

I have been able to get it dry and now waiting for the weather to be dry enough to finish gutting it out. All of the upper cabinets are gone and they won't be going back in. Four of the six windows will be going back in and 2 will be filled in with fiberglass. Three windows (over kitchen sink, over gaucho couch and back window) I was able to get close the original size as seconds. So each of those will be modification. The front window I will be ordering to fit the original size opening.

So the link is helpful to me too.

Tags
bigfoot