1983 16' Casita Repair/Rebuild - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2020, 10:25 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgrammon View Post
So I started on the bunk bulkheads today. I'm scratching my head a bit over just how much to pull the sagging shell up to snuff.

Here are a few snapshots of one of the bulkheads against the shell. The bulkhead was cut from the profile of the piece of shower stall fiberglass.

Attachment 133357

Attachment 133358
Here's what I found when I did this same job on my trailer. I doubt that you will find two places that are the same profile in the fore to aft direction. Side to opposite side they will be pretty close. As to finding the right amount of height, I found that jacking up or letting it down until: 1) the door strike lined up and worked smoothly. 2) when sighting down the outside of the trailer and it looked straight ( it's a subjective call) then it's good'nuff. If you jack up it too much, you will see an indention along the belly band telling you to let the jack down a bit. Bear in mind that a sagging trailer will continue to pull back in shape over time. so what it looks like on day one, it may change a little by day twelve. It took my fender boxes which were leaning out a couple of weeks to pull back in line after the roof was supported.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 11:06 PM   #22

Name: Zach
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
@Mike Good point about the varying profile. In the photo, these are the same spot, side to opposite side.

I think I'll try jacking the ceiling of the shell up for a time and see how things shift. From what you are saying, the pooching out right around the belly band might indicate that the height needs to be another inch or so up from where things stand right now.
zgrammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #23

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
mike i just have to ask

mike are you a paint and body man?

you are waaaay too good at this? LOL

bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
Here's what I found when I did this same job on my trailer. I doubt that you will find two places that are the same profile in the fore to aft direction. Side to opposite side they will be pretty close. As to finding the right amount of height, I found that jacking up or letting it down until: 1) the door strike lined up and worked smoothly. 2) when sighting down the outside of the trailer and it looked straight ( it's a subjective call) then it's good'nuff. If you jack up it too much, you will see an indention along the belly band telling you to let the jack down a bit. Bear in mind that a sagging trailer will continue to pull back in shape over time. so what it looks like on day one, it may change a little by day twelve. It took my fender boxes which were leaning out a couple of weeks to pull back in line after the roof was supported.
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita