9 years of Scamp Solar Panels - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2020, 06:18 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
9 years of Scamp Solar Panels

We've have had a solar panel on our roof for almost 10 years. Last week I took it out of storage after a year of not being touched to get it ready for a trip. We do not disconnect the battery, just leaving it charging on its solar panel. I expected to find a battery low on water. The battery turned out to be fully charged and virtually no water missing. I was happily surprised.

Our panel are double sided taped to our roof. (Many thought this would be a problem but everything is working fine.) In Florida we get plenty of sun and in the summer regular hour long thunder storms. As well they have happily survived Newfoundland snow storms. I haven't kept track of towed mileage but I'd guess at least a 100,000 miles plus.

If younger I would probably installed a lithium battery and maybe a more powerful panel than our 100 watt flexible panel.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:38 AM   #2

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Nice to hear from you, Norm!

Some on the forum were asking about you.

I hope you are headed somewhere fun!

Francie and I have wondered about making the trip to Newfoundland with you sometime.

Best wishes!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:29 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
That's great to hear. Especially since the new generation of flexible panels appear to have way fewer problems, the fact that older ones can do so well is a great thing.

I love my solar.

Since I put a 100w panel on my roof, my battery has never been below 75% that I've noticed, even with some days of regular laptop charging. I'm parked outside a friend's house right now to keep on eye on the house and dog while they're gone. The neighbor offered to run a power cord for my camper. "No thanks, don't need it"
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Newfoundland

Ray,

We'll leave September 20th for Newfoundland if Canada opens the border by then. Realistically we're targeting May - July 2021. Right now I'm working on taking our Scamp to another level since I have time on my hands.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:36 AM   #5

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
OK, Norm .... You got me! [emoji6]

For a few weeks now, that last sentence has had my curiosity working overtime.

A few years ago, when Francie and I visited your park model and you showed us your Scamp, we thought your Scamp was already at the next level! [emoji6]

When will you update us all on what you have been up to recently?

BTW - The sad and persistent rumor, from some of my friends up North, is that the US/Canada border is unlikely to open until maybe sometime in 2021.

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp, solar, solar panel