Scamp 5th wheel landing gear idea - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2020, 12:02 PM   #1

Name: George
Trailer: Escape
Michigan
Scamp 5th wheel landing gear idea

We have a 1991 Scamp 5th wheel on which I replaced the leveling jacks with the scissor type jack for additional lift. I use a battery impact wrench to adjust these as it is much faster and easier than using a hand crank. This has given me the idea to cut off a landing gear removable crank handle and weld a bolt on the end, then use my impact wrench on it as well. I wonder if the internal gears of the factory landing gear would not be harmed with the impact type of use. Has anyone done this? Opinions? I just think this to be so much more economical than replacing the landing gear with new electric upgrade.
George n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:35 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Stabilizing jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by George n Mary View Post
We have a 1991 Scamp 5th wheel on which I replaced the leveling jacks with the scissor type jack for additional lift. I use a battery impact wrench to adjust these as it is much faster and easier than using a hand crank. Has anyone done this? Opinions? I just think this to be so much more economical than replacing the landing gear with new electric upgrade.
The jacks on the back or for stabilizing not leveling. Level side to side with blocking under the tires and front to back with the landing gear. Yes, others use a drill (not impact) to drop the landing gear. (But always have a backup plan for when the drill dies.)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:42 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Registry
Thumbs up Welded on nuts to scissor jacks

Did that modification to my scissor jacks on my 76 Boler years ago and it works great. Level the trailer first then use the jacks to stabilize.
Steve Stresman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 5th wheel
MB
I used an 18 volt Milwaukee drill on the landing gear crank; bought another crank handle, cut the handle off and put it in the chuck. Worked great. But I've since added a motor drive to the landing gear which I bought on Amazon for $150 cdn. Works even better.
Mike255 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp