I'm in Denver, got a used Scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
KPH

Name: Kaeley
Trailer: 2007 Scamp 16'
Washington
Question I'm in Denver, got a used Scamp!

Hi, I just got a 2007 Scamp 16 footer to live in full time, sometimes plugged into shore power and sometimes off grid. Does anyone have any experience setting up solar panels with their scamp with a marine battery and Goal Zero or Renogy portable panels that can be moved to sunlight?

And what are the best ways to deal with wagging while towing? Weighted hitch?
KPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Wagging or Rocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPH View Post
And what are the best ways to deal with wagging while towing? Weighted hitch?
Wagging can be a weight distribution problem. I moved the loads ahead of the axle and have had no wagging problems. (Is your hitch weight about 10 - 15 % of total weight?) I do have rocking problems on bad roads. Can't wait for some one to sell a shock kit for Scamp.
My solar is just a 100 watt panel and controller with 25 foot 12 Ga wire With a pair of 6 volt batteries. I can park in the shade and place the panel in the sun.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:53 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree. 98% of wagging (low amplitude sway) can be corrected by getting a level hitch height and sufficient tongue weight (10-15% of gross trailer weight, with around 12% being a good target).

The fresh water tank is behind the axle, and some people carry stuff on the rear receiver. Both tend to reduce tongue weight and must be compensated with weight forward.

The other 2% could be your driving style. Keep your eyes far ahead and avoid constant small steering corrections. Keep it smooth and steady.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:51 PM   #4

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
welcome! i bet it wagged on your way home because it was empty (mine did too). once you load up up food, beverages, bedding, your clothes, & all the cool stuff you can't live without, you won't have a problem anymore. enjoy!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp