Restoration Advice for Trillium - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2020, 04:08 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: 73 Trillium
British Columbia
Restoration Advice for Trillium

Hello, can anyone point me to the best how to’s to restoring a 74 trillium. I really want to focus on pulling out most of the fixtures in the resealling the windows.

Thanks
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Chris, Where to begin? I have a list of things that you should look at:
1. The bolts holding the cab to the frame. There are only six and they are rusted through.
2. The door. Poorly engineered hinge mounts to the cab need to be repaired.
3. The belly band. It will start to fall off.
4. Windows. Remove and install new butyl tape, inspect the interior wood frame.
5. Re-wire everything.
6. This one hurts. Replace the axle with one that has brakes.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 73 Trillium
British Columbia
Thanks for that, and these are all things I’m looking to do. My priority is to get this watertight, it has a few minor leaks.

Do you have any good links to how to do all those jobs?
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:05 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
David, so glad you are back!

To the question on how-to for Trilliums, go to the upper right of the page, click on Manufacturers and select Trillium.

There you will find hundreds of threads on repairs others have done, including David. I found David and Randy Bishop postings key to my learning. There are others as well, but those two have both owned many Trilliums and done thorough repairs.

The Trillium is a great trailer!!! But, it has some well documented shortcomings. Windows, belly band, body to frame bolts, door hinge mounting, frame issues. But realize your trailer has already lasted over 45 years, which is a testament to the good design.

If you use the search function, be sure to search via Google.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:59 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Thanks for that, and these are all things I’m looking to do. My priority is to get this watertight, it has a few minor leaks.

Do you have any good links to how to do all those jobs?
I just had some fun going through my old threads, see below. Some of the threads are unrelated to your question and several of the jobs are not covered.
As thrifty_bill said, there are so many threads on the subject of restoring a Trillium. In the search pull down select, "Search Site / Google". It is a bit of a rabit hole though.
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...7-a-49103.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ium-49133.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ank-49385.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ead-58763.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ead-59580.html
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...ead-65342.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:52 AM   #6

Name: Martin
Trailer: Trillium 13. boler 13.
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
Hello, can anyone point me to the best how to’s to restoring a 74 trillium. I really want to focus on pulling out most of the fixtures in the resealling the windows.

Thanks
First of all, I would Check to see if the frame is cracked. If it is, you may have to remove the frame to have it welded.
Next. Remove all windows and see what you have left for wood. (Mine was rotten). Replace it!
Remove Belly band. Almost guaranteed the metal tabs are rusted out. Decide if you want to do a belly Band removal!
That should keep you busy for a while!.
Martin.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:02 AM   #7

Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Welcome back David.. I for one have missed your sound advice, insight and common sense..
Old 08-18-2020, 06:55 PM   #8

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Restoration Advice for Trillium

Hi Congrats on your Trillium purchase. I would check out the forums on this site to learn from others doing the same repairs on their Trillium Trailers . I did the window reseals first (one at a time please) .Take some before photos of what was there and how things were assembled. We tend to forget how it should go back together months down the road. Do the disassembly carefully so the rare parts can be reused . When I did my windows I sealed the wood with resin and dry fit the 4 pieces of wood to ensure all was square. I also used 3/4" butyl tape between the wood frame and inside surface of the shell as well as under the aluminum frame on the outside of the shell. No leaks now at all ! I replaced my damaged original roof vent at that time too ! Had to use a plastic vent replacement though.
Whatever you decide to do next is up to you . Door seal , hatch openings for water ,electrical etc...
Once the inside is dry you can work away at any other things to be fixed.
Make a list of "to do's" to keep on track and check off the finished jobs.
Good luck, do the very best work you can and ask questions here, enjoy your Trillium. Duane
p.s. I wanted a Trillium because the windows open on all 4 sides for ventilation no matter what direction the wind blows ,not so with some other models.
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium