buying a 13' scamp! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #1

Name: Mackenzie
Trailer: Scamp 13’
Oregon
Smile buying a 13' scamp!

Hi everybody!
I'm new to this group as i'm in the process of buying a 13' scamp trailer. The owner inherited this 1991 scamp from their grandpa who's since passed. He welded an external frame that extends the 13' and extra 5' both front/back making it 18' trailer. There are stainless steel boxes bolted for extra storage. Thoughts on this...... The extra storage looks nice but im not sure how much extra weight etc it might add. Also wondering if I decided it was too long how challenging it would be to remove.
The current owner hasn't been able to tell if the heat or ac works as they dont have propane and the lettering on the knobs are worn off. Does anyone know where I can get a manual for a 1991 13' scamp? I have a feeling this is going to be a self educated process. They've been super helpful in trying to test all the appliances but they are just about as knowledgable about the scamp as me. (not much!).
Any guidelines or information is much appreciated to send me on my way. Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.
Mackenzie.duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #2

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie.duffy View Post
. He welded an external frame that extends the 13' and extra 5' both front/back making it 18' trailer. There are stainless steel boxes bolted for extra storage. Thoughts on this......
Yes, check the weight (total and hitch) and inspect the welds. Scamp is an RV not a cargo trailer. Pictures? What axle? Take it to a scale and note how it tows behind your tow vehicle on the way.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Get a pro to check out the propane system. For most things you can learn while going, but with propane you could go while learning.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I believe that tongue weight and weight distribution are critical. Watch this video:
Martin B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp