Scamp 13 Table-bed upgrade. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2020, 10:00 AM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracyG View Post
Thanks much -- I just took out my front bunks and built a dinette using a Lagun table mount that I moved 2-3 times until I was happy with the location. My only concern re your build -- what did you use to cut the Lagun mount and to drill through the steel? I'm comfortable with wood work, but not used to working with metal.
Good morning Tracy.

I will note, I have seen people mount the Lagun arm to their fiberglass bulkheads, I couldn't imagine doing so, as it is VERY unlikely to get the proper support. These arms and table tops amplify the angular (tear away) force at the base significantly, so using the steel at the step seemed (to me) to be a no brainer. Keep in mind, I also had to cut down the "short" upright support on a chop saw as well (making my cut on the clamping end of the post). To ensure a square cut, I temporarily removed the clamping bolt and nut/lever. It went back in fine and works perfectly now.
Berthaduniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:06 PM   #22

Name: Eric
Trailer: In the market
OR
Awesome modification! I especially like that the table adds an additional prep area for the kitchen. I cook a lot and this is an ideal solution.
Henchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #23

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Could you provide dimensions on both pieces of the table? I know you said you used the original one as a template, but I like the angled front you did and rather than remake the wheel
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:20 PM   #24

California
Rough Table Dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gompka View Post
Could you provide dimensions on both pieces of the table? I know you said you used the original one as a template, but I like the angled front you did and rather than remake the wheel
Gompa, sorry for the delay, I was "off grid" for a week.

Here is the best I can do w/o getting out my framing square (it was a trace from the Scamp table, so not my pattern, and it does have rounded over corners).

One thing I would suggest is checking your actual width along the side bulkheads, as I missed this, and I wish the table was a 1/4-3/8" wider. Also, I made the cut for the table so I would have a slightly wider bench to lay on while the table is in the "up" position. I'm 6'1" and 225lbs, so make your cut according to your desired usage (bigger or smaller table)...

I also see no reason (in our trailer) why the whole table couldn't be up to 2" longer. Remember, we have the "extended bed" option on our Scamp.
Attached Thumbnails
2020-11-21_11-02-09.jpg  
Old 11-21-2020, 02:06 PM   #25

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berthaduniverse View Post
Gompa, sorry for the delay, I was "off grid" for a week.

Here is the best I can do w/o getting out my framing square (it was a trace from the Scamp table, so not my pattern, and it does have rounded over corners).

One thing I would suggest is checking your actual width along the side bulkheads, as I missed this, and I wish the table was a 1/4-3/8" wider. Also, I made the cut for the table so I would have a slightly wider bench to lay on while the table is in the "up" position. I'm 6'1" and 225lbs, so make your cut according to your desired usage (bigger or smaller table)...

I also see no reason (in our trailer) why the whole table couldn't be up to 2" longer. Remember, we have the "extended bed" option on our Scamp.
Thank you very much for the detailed response! Good point on the bulkhead measurements, I straightened my bulkheads when I did the vinyl floor because they were way off and now my original table barely fits and I too need an extra 1/4-3/8" on the width. I can't wait to do this in the spring!
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #26

Name: Dana
California
Fantastic mod. I am going to tackle this with my 2108 16ft layout 6. I hate the standard cushions, and plan to have the new mini ones made from 4 inch memory form. Do you have thoughts on that? Also I have the Lagun table mount. I plan to make the seating area as small as possible, something to fit my tush size. That mean the table portion here will be maybe 18 inches to 22 inches. Will I need to have the "diving Board" you created. Your table looks quite a bit bigger that what I will have. I travel solo in my Scamp with the bed made all the time. The problem I am having is I want seating there and I think by doing this it will also make the interior seem a bit bigger. Thank you for any advice you can give me about who/how to mount the Lagun base.
andor61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #27

Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
That is a great project and you have done some quality work here.

Immediately I am adopting your idea of using the clothes pins to keep the curtains closed!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #28

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
That is a great project and you have done some quality work here.

Immediately I am adopting your idea of using the clothes pins to keep the curtains closed!
LOL!
Old 12-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #29

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by andor61 View Post
Fantastic mod. I am going to tackle this with my 2108 16ft layout 6. I hate the standard cushions, and plan to have the new mini ones made from 4 inch memory form. Do you have thoughts on that? Also I have the Lagun table mount. I plan to make the seating area as small as possible, something to fit my tush size. That mean the table portion here will be maybe 18 inches to 22 inches. Will I need to have the "diving Board" you created. Your table looks quite a bit bigger that what I will have. I travel solo in my Scamp with the bed made all the time. The problem I am having is I want seating there and I think by doing this it will also make the interior seem a bit bigger. Thank you for any advice you can give me about who/how to mount the Lagun base.

Andor61, sorry for the delayed response.

As for the foam, we tried MANY different options (and thanks to Amazon, returned most). IMO, most of the memory foam you find on Amazon is virtually worthless, especially as a standalone solution. Most of it will collapse to nearly zero thickness if I lay on it (I'm 6'1" and 225lbs). I did find a latex topper...
(Mattress: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cover: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

that has helped a lot, and when we remade the center section over the table we used a futon mattress and split it into 2 large "bed" pieces and 2 small "bolster/back" pieces.

(https://www.amazon.com/Milliard-Fold...7014172&sr=8-3)

As for the diving board, this was created because in the Scamp 13 with the oversized bed option, the table comes with a pair of (~45 degree) cut aways, and these keep the shortened part of the table (cut down section) from getting support along the sides of the seat bulkheads (see my pics).

We love these cut aways, as it really eases with getting in and out. With a smaller table, it may not be necessary. If I were you, I'd make stiff cardboard/poster-board mockups to test the fit, maybe even after installing the Lagun arm. Keep in mind, you may not make th table much smaller as the Lagun swivel arm is a fixed length, which worked well for our installation.

In short, we can sit easily on all three sides of out install, but we prefer to have a 2" latex topper folded across the middle/back section. W/o it, we could easily fit 5 (reasonably sized adults) at the table...
Old 12-06-2020, 10:20 PM   #30

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
I hope somebody from the Scamp warehouse is reading this forum and getting ideas for the next generation of Scamps. This is such a great idea!
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:33 PM   #31

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berthaduniverse View Post
1) As I have said elsewhere, we want to allow all of our mods to keep the ability of a future owner to essentially return it to stock, so these mods either used new parts (saving the originals) or involved simple drill holes (often hidden or out of the way).

2) We essentially rebuilt a new table, but cut it in half. Using the old table as a template, I cut a sheet of 3/4" exterior AC plywood to match the existing table.
Bravo for your consideration for the next owner. I am one who takes a dim view of many modifications others do. I try to keep mine simple or as you have, easily returnable to original configuration. As you have done this, it is better than the factory design and probably would please a buyer.

In my case I bought a trailer that had glass installed in the cabinet doors in the place of the wood inserts. Problem is, the glass is a loose/poor fit, and it is NOT tempered, so that is quite a bit of danger involved in possibly breaking it. There is no good fix other than to make new doors, so I am stymied at this point. But again, congratulations on doing something that is 1) done well or correctly, and 2) doesn't screw up the trailer for the next person.

Charles
Old 12-07-2020, 05:40 AM   #32

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
I hope somebody from the Scamp warehouse is reading this forum and getting ideas for the next generation of Scamps. This is such a great idea!
Campingbliss, thanks for the cudos.

As I've said above, I'm kind-of amazed, there isn't a "kit ready" version of this. While I'm no longer a fabricator, it does seem there would be a reasonable desire for this, and so it could be profitable to someone. IMO though, it seems Scamp has a long-term business model to produce a "timeless" model with little change over time. For example, I'm repeatedly amazed at how slow they are/were to respond to the LED, solar, and boondock revolutions.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:51 AM   #33

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Bravo for your consideration for the next owner. I am one who takes a dim view of many modifications others do. I try to keep mine simple or as you have, easily returnable to original configuration. As you have done this, it is better than the factory design and probably would please a buyer.

In my case I bought a trailer that had glass installed in the cabinet doors in the place of the wood inserts. Problem is, the glass is a loose/poor fit, and it is NOT tempered, so that is quite a bit of danger involved in possibly breaking it. There is no good fix other than to make new doors, so I am stymied at this point. But again, congratulations on doing something that is 1) done well or correctly, and 2) doesn't screw up the trailer for the next person.

Charles
Charles, thank you for your comments.

Keeping the original configuration (as a returnable option) is possibly the hardest part, as it's much easier to just wipe the slate and start from scratch. I'm sorry to hear about your cabinets and I understand your desire for a fix.

To your point, my doors are on the "to be swapped out" list, as I can't stand the brown doors, so its likely I'll recreate the existing doors with a finish to match the table and bunk-bed mods.

The downside to keeping all the old stuff is, keeping (and storing) all the old stuff... LOL!
Old 02-27-2021, 07:09 PM   #34

Name: Sean
Trailer: searching
Pennsylvania
impressive!

Paul,
In agreement with all the others who recognize the excellence in both design and implementation. Our 13 is on order. It will be hard not to have materials on hand to make this happen in our own Scamp. Big thanks for your detailed explanation and photo-documentation.
Sean (in) PA
Sean PA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp