Replacing Axle on 83' scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #1

Name: Danielle
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Replacing Axle on 83' scamp

Hello!
I am looking for reccomendtions for someone to replace my axle on my 13ft scamp. Located in NW Ohio. Not looking to travel to MN to have it done by the company if possible. Has anyone had this done and if so, who do you recommend? TIA
Scampergrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:29 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I would not go to an RV dealer. I would look for someone who builds and repairs utility trailers and specializes in welding. Dexter Axle is one of the larger manufacturers of trailer axles and they might be able to make suggestions. Some Dexter dealers also do installs. It would also be a good idea to look at upgrading to add bolt on brackets to make future replacements easier.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #3
JMS

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Burro
Registry
I had a local trailer repair shop replace ours. You should be able to find one in your area also
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:32 PM   #4

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
I went to a regular auto repair shop that ordered an axle from Scamp. They did a great job of replacing it. I'd shop around and compare prices.
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
All good advice. Utility trailer shop, axle and suspension shop, or a regular auto repair shop are all possiblities. Get bids because labor estimates are often all over the map. For reference I think it’s a half day, 3-4 hour job at Scamp.

Ordering the axle from Scamp ensures it will fit, but it limits your options in terms of manufacturer and specs (weight rating and axle arm start angle, which determines ride height).

Is yours a leading arm (axle arms pointed forward) or trailing arm (arms pointed backward) configuration? 4-lug or 5-lug wheels? Do you already have brakes or will you be adding them? Do you want to keep the stock ride height (probably a couple of inches higher that what you have now) or raise it for additional ground clearance? Would you be interested in an axle that provides adjustable ride height?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp