Can I tow a Casita 17 with a Tesla Electric Vehicle (EV)? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-10-2020, 06:11 AM   #1

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Can I tow a Casita 17 with a Tesla Electric Vehicle (EV)?

You might have read the title of this thread and decided to tell me it's a crazy idea. Well, its not a good idea.. I'll agree to that, but its not as crazy as it sounds. They did exactly that for 1,400 miles (and even tested the auto-pilot while towing!):

Detailed trip video:

Lack of range and too few charging stations were problems, but in the not-too-distant future EV tugs will be viable, auto-pilot and all. Sometimes I think that the future is coming too fast for my tastes

Also of interest is when two deer ran out in front of the Tesla and Casita. I assume this was not under auto-pilot and wonder how the auto-pilot would have done in this situation: https://youtu.be/zqIY7I-kOAc?t=1837

But wait, thats not all. The Casita was easy.. they also towed a 4,800 lb trailer.. with two adults and a child:

Poke around the internet and you can find even more examples of Tesla EV's towing.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:55 AM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
You can also find this. Once charging stations become plentiful AND range is improved, it could make a lot of sense. On the big trips we tend to take, both of these issues are deal breakers.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-towing-range/
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Posted a couple years back on a Tesla towing a HC1 from LA to Yosemite
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #4

Trailer: Westwind
Funny you mention this, I live in Calgary, Alberta, and I noticed a few little trailers being pulled by Teslas. I'm not so sure they were travelling a great distance, we're pretty close to the mountains.
There's also a couple of videos on YouTube from TFL where they test a Tesla towing and run into issues.
m
mark burnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
While its a nice idea, it just isn't practical, at least for the way we travel and camp. We go every year from WA to northern NV and back via several isolated routes through OR. I don't think I can remember seeing more than a couple of those new charging stations along the entire 1,500+ mile trip. Further, I don't want to spend several hours somewhere "recharging" during the trip. I just want to pull into a gas station, fill up and be back on the road in about 10 minutes, not several hours. And they don't have the range to suit me either.

It makes for a long day, but we've often towed the entire 12 1/2 hour drive, (each way,) non-stop except for gas and head calls, for many years. Anymore now, we try to cut that number in half, but it's still a long travel day. Now, if they were smart, they'd push to install some of those charging stations right in the campgrounds so folks travelling with an electric vehicle could recharge overnight and hit the ground running bright and early. Charge those sites a few extra $ for the extra power they use, but they'd at least be able to have a viable alternative, for those who want to roll electrically. For now, I'll stick to turning dinosaurs into smoke. Besides they haven't come out with a decent pickup truck, and frankly, I need the room and load capacity to haul things that none of these e-cars can do.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #6

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Charging at rest areas!!

[QUOTE=Casita Greg;795879]
Now, if they were smart, they'd push to install some of those charging stations right in the campgrounds so folks travelling with an electric vehicle could recharge overnight and hit the ground running bright and early.[/QUO

I was recently at a Montana rest area where an EV owner had unplugged the vending machine, plugged in a large extension cord, and was charging their car. I am sure they had great stories to tell about how much money their EV car saved on the trip.
TE]
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
A friend of mine asked if he could borrow our Campster for ham radio event (field day). When he bought the hitch for his Tesla, it was something like the 82nd one they had sold. His plan was to tow it across the Cascades, 4,000 foot pass, and meet our other friends on a wide spot on a Forest Service road. I gave him a gentle no way.

Our Campster weighs in at about 2500 ready to roll, so I guess he could of done it, but not with my trailer. As it was, he almost ran out of juice sleeping in the car and staying warm.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:22 PM   #8

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Nothing beats power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
His plan was to tow it across the Cascades, 4,000 foot pass, and meet our other friends on a wide spot on a Forest Service road. I gave him a gentle no way.
Nothing beats power, because along with the power to pull comes the power for the engine to brake. The tow haul mode is great. I was pulling a 3000 lb 16' Scamp with an F150 in the northwest US this fall. I would not have wanted any less of a tow vehicle. I held it at 70 on the interstate and 60 on two lane with out any problems. Note also that I replaced the 60MPH SCAMP tires with 80 MPH tires. (Also, never loan out an RV, nothing parties like a rental.)
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #9

I wasn't worried about a party since I know all 4 hams that were going and the others' RVs have a lot more room than my Campster. But, the best way to loose a friend is to loan him an RV and have something go wrong. I didn't want to risk that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Nothing beats power, because along with the power to pull comes the power for the engine to brake. The tow haul mode is great. I was pulling a 3000 lb 16' Scamp with an F150 in the northwest US this fall. I would not have wanted any less of a tow vehicle. I held it at 70 on the interstate and 60 on two lane with out any problems. Note also that I replaced the 60MPH SCAMP tires with 80 MPH tires. (Also, never loan out an RV, nothing parties like a rental.)
Old 10-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I wasn't worried about a party since I know all 4 hams that were going

Sorry. Have to ask. Do they visit over the radio or around a campfire?
Old 10-10-2020, 05:03 PM   #11

LOL. They had a large tent setup for their radio gear. The objective of field day is to make as many contacts as you can in as many modes and bands as you can while off the grid.

I'm sure they had a beer or two and solved a few of the world's problems.

Think about sleeping in a Tesla while your friends have a brand new Escape, a brand new sticky, and an older class C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Old 10-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I very much suspect that your question is much more insightful than you know.

COVID has fundamentally changed how many people live their daily lives. In the case of the Amateur Radio hobby, club meetings and other communal activities have of necessity been curtailed. But at the same time, while staying safe at home, many of the less active hobbyist have found the time to become more active. After all, communicating through technology is the logical way to “social-distance.” Many ham clubs have started using the internet for their club meetings (Zoom), and even to administer licensing exams. But radio is the focus of the hobby and the hobby has become more “radio-active” since COVID. For a time at least, sitting around the campfire (or most any social gathering) will be less common. The Science Fiction concept of virtual interactions, such as the holographic Princess Leia projected by R2-D2 or any of the myriad of virtual encounters in the Star Trek franchise, will become commonplace or even the norm sooner than we think. And of course, someone will create an online fireside chat room. Put on your 3D headset and turn on the aroma generator, and you will hardly know the difference.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita