Just got the call that my scamps ready - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2020, 09:41 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Name: 27
Trailer: scamp
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
Glad you’re driving up. The people in the shop will go around your Scamp with you so you can ask ?’s about hookups, etc. When you get hooked up, you can drive a little in their lot, my salesman, Nick Swensen, advised me not to take sharp turns, your car and the Scamp need room on turns. Just take it slow. I hadn’t pulled a trailer since the 60’s when I moved to Boston from VA for school, but you’ll do it. The Scamp follows along behind your car very smoothly. I didn’t fill the water tanks under advice that it would make it easier to winterize, so I think that might have made towing smoother. Just keep in touch, there are great people on the website anxious to share their experiences with you. I left Backus right after picking up my Scamp on Monday morning and drove straight through to Cape Cod, only stopping for gas and walking my dog and got to the Cape at 11 p.m. Tuesday night. If i can do it, you can do it. I’m 85 and would love to do it again. You’re in for a memorable experience adding a new member to your family. There is a AmericInn by Wyndham,a very nice motel but not expensive, I think it cost me $100 for the night and free breakfast, at the junction of 371 and ?87, it’s next to a Speedway gas station and the Apine restaurant with a statue of Paul Bunyan next to it, (I got a Sunday chicken dinner for $8.95 !!!, nothing like that on Cape Cod!!!). It’s about 25 minutes down 371 from Backus.

Thanks for the advice, I booked the americinn for thursday night. Friday at 11 is my appointment to come in and pick it up. Leaving there and stopping in wisconsin overnight at a campground to test out the scamp and get at least one night camping in this year. Coming back home saturday so it should be a fun trip.
Jets27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:42 AM   #22
MJo

Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Make sure you have a hitch lock on. I’m glad you are staying there, I loved the rustic furniture and Beatrice, the manager putting fresh cakes of suet in the bird feeder. Very nice people. Enjoy a meal at the Apine restaurant if you can, they work for very little $$. I left a big tip. Keep us informed. Give the Scamp crew, “Best regards for all of us out here!” Be safe. MJo
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #23

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Try to avoid going in any buildings, as covid a rampant. Bring enough food, water, clothing, bedding etc to make the trip. Stay safe.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:49 PM   #24
MJo

Massachusetts
just got the call that my scamps ready

well, tomorrow is the big day? what did you get on your Scamp? did you get a furnace? I bet it’s cold out there these days. I forgot to tell you that the motel let me have my dog in my room, $20 deposit only. well, we’re all thinking of you.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:09 PM   #25

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Great weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets27 View Post
Thanks for the advice, I booked the americinn for thursday night. Friday at 11 is my appointment to come in and pick it up. Leaving there and stopping in wisconsin overnight at a campground to test out the scamp and get at least one night camping in this year. Coming back home saturday so it should be a fun trip.
West central Wisconsin had 54 degrees Thursday, you picked a good time. Weather should be OK trough the week end. BUT, it is opening of dear hunting season this weekend and the Wisconsin traffic may be heavy in early and late hours starting Friday after noon. Are you taking the La Crosse, Hudson, or Superior route? I went to Backus via Hudson and returned via Superior and camped at Herbster, Wisconsin.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:28 PM   #26
MJo

Massachusetts

I envy you people being able to do stuff with your Scamp. I was trying to save $$ so I didn’t get a furnace, thought a little space heater would do the job but didn’t consider that I still would need a power hookup. Now I’m trying to figure out what to do about it. don’t want to go back to Backus right away and have them install the furnace. ???
Old 11-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Illinois
Just got to the hotel, 11 hour drive haha. Traffic wasnt too bad once I got out of chicago. Got the 13, no bathroom, ac and fan, no furnace, extra lights and outlets, probably a few other things I cant think of now. Too tired.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:26 PM   #28
MJo

Massachusetts

Glad you got there safe, enjoy a little tv and get a good nights sleep, big day tomorrow. Then you’ll have to give us a report on your Scamp, what you got and how your stay in it went, take care, MJo.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:53 PM   #29

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Scamp on a stick picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets27 View Post
Just got to the hotel, 11 hour drive haha. Traffic wasnt too bad once I got out of chicago. Got the 13, no bathroom, ac and fan, no furnace, extra lights and outlets, probably a few other things I cant think of now. Too tired.
Don't forget to get a picture of your rig in front of the Scamp on a stick.

This picture is from September 2016 on the day I ordered.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp on a stick.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:26 AM   #30

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
This thread is getting more and more exciting and today is pick-up day!
Looking forward to Jets27 next entry, can't wait!
Old 11-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #31
MJo

Massachusetts
Just got a call

I know !!! He should be setting up for his 1st night in his Scamp !!! Maybe he’s too excited, getting his Scamp, to remember to tell us about it !!
Old 11-20-2020, 06:20 PM   #32

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
I know !!! He should be setting up for his 1st night in his Scamp !!! Maybe he’s too excited, getting his Scamp, to remember to tell us about it !!
Possibly on information overload, but we'll be here waiting for him.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:53 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Illinois
Didn’t realize I was so poular . Picked up my scamp earlier, towing wasn’t too bad, just had everyone passing me and giving me angry looks. Kept at about 60-65 drove around 5 hours to hixton wisconsin and set up camp for the night. Had some trouble getting level but its just the site so Im a little crooked. Its kind of cold out but the small space heater I got works great. Loving the scamp so far, been dreaming of this day since I first saw a scamp back in like 2013. Heading home in the morning around 10, driving it to my campground lot in indiana, then back to chicago. Will post some pics then, dont know how to do it now. Thanks everyone again for all the support and nice messages. Hope to see some of you around one day.
Old 11-20-2020, 08:59 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
West central Wisconsin had 54 degrees Thursday, you picked a good time. Weather should be OK trough the week end. BUT, it is opening of dear hunting season this weekend and the Wisconsin traffic may be heavy in early and late hours starting Friday after noon. Are you taking the La Crosse, Hudson, or Superior route? I went to Backus via Hudson and returned via Superior and camped at Herbster, Wisconsin.
I dont know which route I took getting here. Drove through kenosha and stopped at the mars cheese castle, past madison and stopped to see pinkie the elephant. Just followed the gps rest of the way. Coming back I think it was hudson, taking 90 94 most of the way.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:01 PM   #35
MJo

Massachusetts

remember not to use your refrigerator if your Scamps not level. if you don’t know what I’m talking about, read up on it. otherwise, glad your making it as a real Scamper !!! keep your saga going, let us keep you company on your way home. Maybe it will be a movie, Ha Ha.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:12 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Illinois
Quote:
remember not to use your refrigerator if your Scamps not level. if you don’t know what I’m talking about, read up on it. otherwise, glad your making it as a real Scamper !!! keep your saga going, let us keep you company on your way home. Maybe it will be a movie, Ha Ha.
I’ve heard that so I havent even bothered with it yet. I probably wont even use it until next year. Already planning my trips for the summer now.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:22 PM   #37
MJo

Massachusetts

well, you’re way ahead of me. I’ve been reading all the RV articles in RV Life and on the RV forums and studying everything but i haven’t spent the night in my Scamp yet, so you know more than I do at this point. It’s so cold here, i don’t plan to Scamp until spring warms up, also I admit, being an older single woman, I’m a little afraid to venture out away from home with all that’s going on. I hope I can overcome that fear and use my Scamp now that I have it. take care, sounds like your Scamp is turning out to be all that you had hoped. MJo
Old 11-20-2020, 09:30 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you don't roll out of bed, it's probably level enough. From Dometic RM2510 manual:

SECTION B. OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS1. IMPORTANCE OF LEVELING A REFRIGERATORIn an absorption refrigerator system, ammonia is liquified in the finned condenser coil at the top rear of the refrigerator. The liquid ammonia then flows into the evaporator (inside the freezer section) and is exposed to a circulating flow of hydrogen gas, which causes the ammonia to evaporate, creating a cold condition in the freezer.The tubing in the evaporator section is specifically sloped to provide a continuous movement of liquid ammonia, flowing downward by gravity, through this section. If the refrigerator is operated when it is not level and the vehicle is not moving, liquid ammonia will accumulate in sections of the evaporator tubing. This will slow the circulation of hydrogen and ammonia gas, or in severe cases, completely block it, resulting in a loss of cooling. Any time the vehicle is parked for several hours with the refrigerator operating, the vehicle should be leveled to prevent this loss of cooling.The vehicle needs to be leveled only so it is comfortable to live in (no noticeable sloping of floor or walls). When the vehicle is moving the leveling is not critical, as the rolling and pitching movement of the vehicle will pass to either side of level - keeping the liquid ammonia from accumulating in the evaporator tubin
Old 11-20-2020, 09:38 PM   #39
Commercial Member

Illinois
Quote:
well, you’re way ahead of me. I’ve been reading all the RV articles in RV Life and on the RV forums and studying everything but i haven’t spent the night in my Scamp yet, so you know more than I do at this point. It’s so cold here, i don’t plan to Scamp until spring warms up, also I admit, being an older single woman, I’m a little afraid to venture out away from home with all that’s going on. I hope I can overcome that fear and use my Scamp now that I have it. take care, sounds like your Scamp is turning out to be all that you had hoped. MJo
I know, Ive been reading this forum since I made my first post in 2014. Back then just imaging the day Id finally have one. Watched all the youtube videos and researched everything I could find. Little by little putting money aside and making plans to travel, finally I just had to do it. Hope you get out soon though, maybe we’ll see each other on the road someday.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Illinois
[QUOTE=Glenn Baglo;798983]If you don't roll out of bed, it's probably level enough. From Dometic RM2510 manual:

Nice to know, my coolers fine for the night but Ill remember that for the future.

Tags
scamp