No Scamp backup lightS?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #21

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
My 2015 Scamp came with tailights that included the clear lens window and bulb for back up lights, but my 7 pin was not wired to power them. I added a switch in the Scamp so that I could open the door, reach in, flip the switch, and have back up lights powered by the trailer's battery. But it was really more of a security thing than for light when backing up the trailer.. I could illuminate the area behind the camper when I was inside and heard strange noises. But eventually I repurposed the hole the switch was mounted in to something more useful since I never used the backup lights for backing up, nor for checking what creatures were making noise behind the camper while I tried to sleep.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:05 PM   #22

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
CA Vehicle Code (CVC):
"CVC 24606. (a) Every motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, of a type subject to registration and manufactured on and after January 1, 1969, shall be equipped with one or more backup lamps either separately or in combination with another lamp. Any vehicle may be equipped with backup lamps. "

So, if it's motorized, the vehicle needs the backup light.
If it is not motorized (E.G.: the trailer), then it May have a backup light, but is not required.
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:39 PM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
So, if it's motorized, the vehicle needs the backup light....
But according the text that you quoted, only if it is also of a type subject to registration and manufactured on and after January 1, 1969.. Both requirements sometimes do not apply to molded fiberglass campers.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 09:05 PM   #24

Name: Verla
Trailer: In the market
California
Scamp Back up lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Mine seems to be the first response, here on the forum, from California where back-up lights are REQUIRED on all vehicles and tow vehicles. I cannot imagine running a vehicle without them as they are a vital warning system to pedestrians and drivers of other vehicle to LOOK OUT
I beg to differ about California requiring back up lights on trailers. I have pulled trailers, both travel as well as utility, for over 55 yrs in the State of California and backup lights have never been required on any trailer.
vmcfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #25

Name: Lynn
Trailer: '06 Scamp 16
Rochester, New York
Our 2006 Scamp 16 came with back up lights. I have wired each of our tow vehicles so that they work. They really do help when backing at night - imagine that.
Lynn Eberhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:50 AM   #26

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp
California
No backup lights on 2018 13'

My 13' 2018 Scamp doesn't have backup lights. Nor did the two pop-up trailers I owned previously. I'm in California and the Scamp was delivered here. I think trailer backup lights as standard equipment are by far the exception and not the rule.
twinpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 04:02 PM   #27

Name: Verla
Trailer: In the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
I have the best backup lights for my Boler because they were free. I take two of the Harbor Freight work lights you get for free with purchase and stick them to either end of the bumper since they are magnetic. Really helps when backing in at night!
What a great idea!!
vmcfay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #28

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
bck up lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have towed and reversed many hundreds of different trailers in my life and not one had reversing lights. For me personally, I fail to see a need for any reason. Not that I think they are a bad thing, just not really needed.
seems to me a big waste to worry about them!
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, light, scamp