Replacing Axel on 2008 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2021, 06:31 AM   #1

Name: Joe
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Replacing Axel on 2008 16' Scamp

I currently have an ALKO axel that needs to be replaced. I understand that it is welded to the frame. How do I go about getting it removed and putting a new LIPPERT axel on? ALKO is no longer in business. Scamp sells the LIPPERT and says it is the exact same size. I am interested in hearing from others who have done this. Thanks for your perspectives and recommendations.
jdittrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I’d look for a shop that builds, modifies, and sells utility trailers or an axle and suspension shop that has experience with trailers. I’d avoid RV shops unless they have a lot of experience with small egg-type trailers. A competent shop will know how to measure and spec a new axle, and Scamp can provide technical assistance by phone if needed,

You’ve got a few axle choices: Lippert or Dexter fixed angle axles, or a Flexi-Ride adjustable angle axle. You can also order the axle from Scamp and have a local shop do the install- I think Scamp is using Lippert these days. You won’t be able to change the specs, but you also won’t have to deal with taking accurate measurements for a custom order from the manufacturer. Consider welding on a mounting bracket and making the new axle a bolt-on, which is how new ones are now done.

Another option if you’re close enough or willing to make a trip is to take it to the mother ship. Scamp will replace the axle at the factory in MN. It’s a half day job and generally cheaper than anywhere else, not counting travel expenses. They’re pretty busy, so book an appointment well in advance.

Follow break-in instructions for your new axle.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:26 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We had the axle on our 16 ft Scamp changed out at the Scamp factory
In by 8:00AM out by 11:00 AM and Scamp had the best price plus Minnesota is
beautiful this time of the year !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:44 PM   #4

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I did the axle on my 1988 16 several years ago. I ordered a new axle from Scamp and came home to it sitting in my driveway one afternoon. I carefully ground and torched off the old welds, including the center floor support, dropping the old axle. I carefully measured and aligned the new axle so the wheels/tires would be in the same position as the old and welded the new brackets on the frame. After bolting the new axle to the brackets, welding in a new center floor support, and wiring the new brakes I enjoy the security of larger brakes and new tires. Not much to it but I would only allow somebody I trust to do it. The frame on my old Scamp is thin tubing and easy to blow through if not careful. Just the kind of stuff I usually get to work on.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:16 AM   #5

Name: Joe
Trailer: Scamp
Missouri
Thanks for your ideas. Your perspectives are helpful.
jdittrich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp