13' Scamp Wheel Well Wood Replacement - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 12:29 AM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: 1981 Scamp 13'
Oregon
13' Scamp Wheel Well Wood Replacement

Hello fellow Fiberglass RV campers. I'm working on a few major repairs on my 1982 13' Scamp. One repair that is not well documented on these forums is replacing the plywood piece that is in the front of the passenger side wheel well. It is a small piece of plywood that is sandwiched between the metal frame inside and some fiberglass outside.

This plywood piece on my trailer is completely rotted out. What steps do I take to replace it? If there are other posts that detail the repair process please let me know!
Ladiesandthescamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:19 AM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
I replaced a rotten plywood piece on the hitch-side of the door just as you described.

I just removed all the rotten wood and stuffed in a piece of solid wood the correct thickness and screwed it in place.

Then I painted with several coats of primer and some white glossy outdoor paint.

I don't know if this was the correct thing to do or not, but it seems more secure than the original plywood was even before it rotted.
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:06 AM   #3

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Perhaps a better way to do this is to seal the replacement plywood before you install it. The new rot will begin at the edges and delamination will result.
If I were you I would use a very good waterproofing to seal it.
I used Epoxy resin as it is water proof where polyester will allow water to migrate through it.
No matter what something like pain, primer etc should be used to seal the piece while you can get to it.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #4

Oregon
Rot

Thank you Alan and Redbarron. I've got the west systems epoxy resin from another repair that I will use on the new wood. I'm still wondering if I need to cut off the existing fiberglass "tabs" on the outside of the trailer to remove the rotten wood and if I need to attach the new wood back to the shell with fiberglass mat. I've attached an image that will hopefully make the repair area clearer.
Attached Thumbnails
20210324_093756.jpg  
Old 03-24-2021, 11:13 AM   #5

Massachusetts
I was able to remove the wood from underneath the trailer and fit a new piece in from underneath.

Oh, and I did paint everything BEFORE I installed it, sorry for the confusion.
Old 03-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #6

Oregon
To be clear, I'm talking about the piece of wood which I have circled in the picture here.
Attached Thumbnails
20210324_093756~2.jpg  
Old 03-24-2021, 06:45 PM   #7

Massachusetts
Right.

Just bang it loose from under the trailer, paint/waterproof a new piece of solid wood instead of plywood and put it back in.

Then, add some screws through that metal plate to hold it in place and some screws through the fiberglass from the outside into the end of the solid wood.

And a little (clutch pearls NOW) silicone caulking and you'll be fine for the next 30 years.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #8

Oregon
Thanks for the clarification Alan. I'll give it a try this weekend!
Old 03-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #9

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
On my modified Scamp that is the front bulkhead of the refrigerator space. In the front there is a steel beam that goes all the way across the trailer.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 10:01 PM   #10

Oregon
I wanted to follow up on this post as I think my completed project could help others with the same questions.

I added a piece of exterior grade ac 5 ply in place of the existing rotting piece which I cut out with a Dremel. I sanded the existing fiberglass that was left where the wood was originally attached. I fiberglassed the wood in with several layers of mat. The finished product looks pretty good and is definitely water tight too!

Tags
scamp