Mattress question - 13' Scamp w/ bathroom - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2021, 08:44 PM   #1

Name: Judy
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Mattress question - 13' Scamp w/ bathroom

The original pads for the bed in the Scamp just don't cut it for two old geezers, totally wrecks the back! We have had an air mattress, but it just blew a giant sized hernia last weekend and is destined for the trash can. It was not ideal anyway, as the gymnastics required to get the electric air pump connected to the valve at the head of the mattress and keep it connected while inflating was not for someone of a certain age and very arthritic.

Wondering if anyone has a line on an air mattress with the valve located on the side instead of at the head end? Does such an animal exist? Alternatively, has anyone found a non-inflatable mattress that is substantial enough to offer support but also maneuverable/flexible enough to be stored away during the day? We don't leave the bed set up full time, since the 13' Scamp w/bathroom doesn't have another seating/cooking/eating space.

Also, would a self-inflating mattress be an option? Never actually have seen one of those, and in this day and age don't want to go into a store to spend time looking at how they work.

Any suggestions would be welcome!
Judy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:21 PM   #2

Name: gretchen
Trailer: scamp 13'
Washington
They do make self inflating sleeping pads. A combination of foam and air. Here is one from REI, https://www.rei.com/product/149002/r...ing-deluxe-bed. Mixed reviews but it's REI and if you hate take back, they will refund you.
gretchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
We use a miracle foam topper. which is rolled up and stored when not in use. it has worked well for us...
We made a fitted sheet which rolls up with the topper and makes making the bed a cinch.
Attached Thumbnails
b002.JPG   b006.JPG  

Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #4

Oregon
Gretchens...thank you. We checked out the link, but we are thinking we need something that doesn't require us to fight with an air pump even to top it off. We are keeping it in mind though, we think it is an option.

Floyd...questions for you. Is this topper wide enough to cover the bed? We have the extended bed, so it is basically a full sized mattress. Do you have two that you use side by side or does it go all the way? Second, where did you get the topper?
Good idea about the fitted sheet.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy in Oregon View Post
Gretchens...thank you. We checked out the link, but we are thinking we need something that doesn't require us to fight with an air pump even to top it off. We are keeping it in mind though, we think it is an option.

Floyd...questions for you. Is this topper wide enough to cover the bed? We have the extended bed, so it is basically a full sized mattress. Do you have two that you use side by side or does it go all the way? Second, where did you get the topper?
Good idea about the fitted sheet.
We too have the 54" bed. We bought a fullsized memory foam topper, rounded the back two corners for a custom one piece fit.
It originally had a quilted sewn on cover. After 16 years it became a bit flat so this year we opened the seam and installed a new memory foam topper inside the old cover. The new topper was found at WalMart ($59)
We like the cover and the fitted sheet idea, but the topper would work very well without either,just requiring a bit more effort to make the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
b003.JPG   b004.JPG  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 09:09 PM   #6

Oregon
Thanks! We are headed to the Walmart website to take a look.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy in Oregon View Post
Thanks! We are headed to the Walmart website to take a look.
I bought a full size 2" thick memory foam topper for the Scamp cushions as well and it made a total difference in comfort. I liked it so much that I now have one on my bed at home too. No more aching body parts when I wake up.
dora D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:35 AM   #8

Name: Teresa
Trailer: Trek
Kentucky
Registry
I bought a 3 inch charcoal memory foam type full size mattress from Amazon. I laid the foam on the floor in my house with cushions placed like in the camper on the top of the foam, marked the foam with a sharpie then, cut the foam with a bread knife to the exact curve. To protect the foam I bought a zippered full size mattress cover. It fits perfectly and super comfortable. I don’t plain to use it as a dinette but the foam does roll up easily out of the way to access under the seat compartments.
TeresaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #9

Name: Scampgrounds
Trailer: Scamp
Ca
Scamp Mattress Question

We also found the cushions too hard to sleep on in our new 2020 Scamp 13'. We first tried a 2" foam mattress pad, and it helped but not totally. Ultimately, we had new cushions made with much lower density foam -- one of the best modifications we made to our Scamp. For details, I wrote an article with images on what we did along with costs. In addition to looking a lot better, our cushions are now smooth faux "leather" and are easy to clean and don't hold dust.

https://scampgrounds.com/our-best-tr...-modification/
Gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:48 AM   #10

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Memory foam

We have a Scamp 13 with the bigger bed.

We bought 3” memory foam from Walmart think full size. It is great but difficult to roll and store. So we cut it in half lengthwise and roll each half separately. Using canoe straps right now until we find something better. Then each half can fit on the dinette seat next to each of us or they can go in the car.

We thought we could leave the bed up and eat outside but it has been cold and windy on this trip, so we need the dinette.

I hope to make new cushions when we get home that will actually work well as a mattress. I read in one thread about getting layered foam custom made which makes sense to me. I did some research on foam and I will post the website when I find it again. Very informative as there is a difference between density and firmness. Too firm and you bounce.

Luckily my son has an industrial sewing machine so I hope to put him to work!

Happy trails,
SusanS
SusanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:57 AM   #11

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
Thanks for the article Gavin. I am wondering how the cushions work as cushions? Different needs for seating than sleeping. I am really hoping to avoid the additional topper, but need the cushions to work as seating.

I forgot to mention ours is an 1989 Scamp so the cushions have had it. And we can’t easily get the covers off to wash - bizarre zipper setup only on one edge. Maybe they are not original.

Any ideas on getting this balance between sitting and sleeping is really welcome!

SusanS
SusanS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp