2010 Scamp 19 electrical issue - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #1

Name: matt
Trailer: Scamp 19
Texas
2010 Scamp 19 electrical issue

hey all,

I have a 2010 scamp 19 with an electrical issue. the entire rear 12v circuit of my scamp doesnt work. this effects the fantastic fan, 2 rear most lights, the 12v light above counters on each side. everything else works, all pumps, furnace, fridge, front lights etc.

i have checked the fuse panel and all fuses are good. i opened up the hatch to test back of panel and with 30A shore power plugged in i get 13.5 v to all + side of 12v, grounds are good, no loose connections. pulled fuse for fan, it is intact.

any suggestions from here?
mattyirie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:11 PM   #2

Name: Karin & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Maine
Matt, on my 13 foot scamp, there is a fuse on the battery line that I had to replace. See if you have a fuse coming off of the (I think) positive wire. If so, replace it. Don.
Kardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
could be as simple as a common ground or a common power wire.
Check for a loose ground at the box then work your way outward to each fault. you will likely find a single broken wire somewhere.
Start with a piece of wire from the ground at the box and use it to check each positive at the load... Fan, light, etc.

Scamp has been known to use wire nuts in some applications, so you may find several grounds gathered in one wire nut.

You can just touch your new test lead to each load on the ground side, or better yet just attach it to the negative lead on your VOM and probe for power with the positive lead of the VOM to the positive side of each load.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:47 AM   #4

Texas
Thanks for the tips Don and Floyd!

I have tried connecting the 12v battery and disconnecting the 12v battery, fuse is good with 0.00 ohms resistance.

Im leaning toward it being an open loop somewhere in the main wire that feeds that circuit. So far in dealing with this scamp i have come across a few wires that have just...fallen out of the crimp (!!!). i wouldnt be surprised if that happened here somehow as well. i will keep updated.

it would be nice to know which color wire fed this block of stuff however...
Old 05-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #5

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
To bad we don't have a schematic to follow. Is it possible that there might be a 110 volt outlet on that circuit that has a ground fault interrupter?
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:31 PM   #6

Name: Daniel
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Louisiana
2004 Scamp 19

I had the same problem on our 2004 19. I found a second fuse in the main 12 volt line under the front bench. It was very close to where the battery lines enter from the outside. In our case something we had stored in the cabinet had caused the fuse to blow. I think it was a 20 amp fuse. Hope this helps.
Dplandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dplandry View Post
I had the same problem on our 2004 19. I found a second fuse in the main 12 volt line under the front bench. It was very close to where the battery lines enter from the outside. In our case something we had stored in the cabinet had caused the fuse to blow. I think it was a 20 amp fuse. Hope this helps.
well, there is 13.5v to the battery cables that exit the front of the camper. i am leaning towards a disconnected splice (either ground or power) buried somewhere deep in the rat fur

im either going to find it or just rewire these loads independently to the fuse panel.
Old 05-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmm View Post
To bad we don't have a schematic to follow. Is it possible that there might be a 110 volt outlet on that circuit that has a ground fault interrupter?
We're talking the 12V system in this case, better HOPE that's not it!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, scamp