SAGGING Roof on "early" 13ft BURRO - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: BURRO
California
SAGGING Roof on "early" 13ft BURRO

The ROOF on my "early" 13 ft BURRO is SAGGING in the area just at the rear of the Roof Vent in the "center middle" --- I can push it UP by hand to it's normal position ---
Any of you have this problem and can suggest a "FIX" or can suggest a "fix" even if you don't have the problem with your BURRO ???
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ---

JOHN
John D Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 AM   #2

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
John,

'Surprised no one's weighed in on this. I know a number of us with U-Haul campers have had issues with sag in the roof---from a heavy roof-top AC unit, or a tree branch laying across it, or even heavy snow-load in winter.

Perhaps a search for "sagging roof"?? Or you could join the U-Haul [Burros welcome FaceBook page for more discussion?] As I recall, the first suggestion is usually to prop up the roof from inside, probably raising it a little more than usual, and letting warm sunny days "relax" the sagging f/g.

At least one member "over there" has propped the sag up, and then fiberglassed a stiffening rod to the underside of the roof---in the middle, where the ceiling carpet strip would hide it. Another is I think in the process of [1] temporarily removing the roof vent fan, and then [2] sliding pre-shaped wooden ribs from side to side in between the inner and outer skins---presumably using thickened f/g resin or some-such to bond the ribs to the skins.

'my $.02's worth..........

Gary
Old 04-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

Thumbs up Roof

I have redone 3 burros with the same issues. Ok hears what I did went to home depot bought some 1inch wide aluminum about 6 foot long bent to shape (easy to do) Use a mall stainless bolt and nut the nut on the inside I the center. Then drill for the rivets and there you have it, When you cover the inside no one will no but you. Have fun a grate little camper and a piece of history.
Philmay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:52 AM   #4

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
I used Bondo Glass to repair some seams on my camper. Super stiff and sticks really well. You could prop the roof to shape and spread a 1/4" layer or so on the roof seam. I like Phimay1's idea. Maybe use the bondo-glass to hold the aluminum supports in place?
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro