Where to put battery in Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 72 Boler American
I have an '72 Boler and am trying to figure out where to put the 12 volt battery. It was stored on the tongue when we bought it, but is it safe to store the battery in the camper? If so, where in the camper?
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
What "type" of battery sorta dictates where else it could go. If it doesn't need to ne vented it could be installed almost anywhere convenient INSIDE the shell of the Egg. Otherwise its best to leave it outside so as NOT to have to deal with the escaping fumes...
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #3

Currently, I have an RV/Marine Deep cycle. Does that give off fumes? I wouldn't mind having a smaller battery that could be moved in the egg.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
[b]ALL lead-acid batteries give off hydrogen gas while charging. [b]ALL lead-acid batteries need to be properly vented if placed inside the trailer. See:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=19549

This includes the new gel lead-acid batteries. They apparently can be mounted in any orientation, but still generate hydrogen gas. I have checked with several manufacturers directly when battery shops have told me this or that model does not need venting becasue it is spill proof. Here is the response from Dan Lane if INterstatyer Batteries on just such a query.

Quote:
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:58 PM
To: Victor Benz

Subject: RE: Extreme Solar Panel Rechargable Battery EX-1000

Victor,

All lead-acid batteries need to have its hydrogen gas expelled into the atmosphere around your travel trailer.

Interstate Battery sells AGM batteries. If you want to find out the prices and availability, please tell me your city, state, and Zip code.

Dan Lane
Fiber Stream trailers come equipped with the battery inside the trailer in a steel box vented to the outside. I am currently replacing mine, see:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=19894

It is easy to install an interior battery, but do it properly.

Victor Benz
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:49 PM   #5

Sounds like my best solution is to leave the battery outside on the tongue. Right now I have a 12 volt loop, an ac loop. I have a battery charger to charge the battery. What I would like to do is power the 12 volt appliances on ac when docked. I suppose that is what an inverter is for. Don't have one, any recommendations???? How about an inverter/charger??
Old 06-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #6
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Take a peek at my pics on Webshots.
I installed the battery in a sealed plastic and vented box under the seat along with the diaphram pump. I also store my jacks, hose and extension cable in there. That leaves all the other other compartments free for storage.

The battery is charged from the truck when we are are on the road and charged by a solar trickle charger in the back window when we are parked. It has worked very well for us.

As far a having a steel battery box, avoid them like the plague. Use either plastic or stainless steel.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #7

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
If you want to power 12V appliances off the AC, you need a converter.....an inverter would allow you to power 110V appliances off your battery.........in my 13' Boler I use a charger to keep up my battery so I can run 12V "stuff" off the battery without the need for a converter, and a 400 Watt inverter to run my fridge off my battery when towing.....no problem....Benny....oh, p.s., my battery is on the trailer tongue!
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #8

If you are hooked up to electricity at a campsite, are you charging the battery with your charger while using the 12 volt appliances, or do you top the battery off when you get home to make it ready for the next trip?
Old 06-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I don`t know who you wanted a reply from, but if it was me.....I usually keep an automatic charger on it all the time when the trailer is used....it`s not a smart charger but seems to be OK....I have since bought a cheap fancier charger that has float capability and five multiple charge rates from 2 - 15 amps....so will give that one a try this year.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, boler