How to wax, seal or protect my Egg? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2008, 11:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Burro 13 ft
Registry
I have been trying to wax my egg unsuccessfully. 1 st I washed it right down and the thing is white as can be. The surface is rough and faded from weathering. I wanted to apply a barrier (wax) to protect it.

1st I tried rubbing compund with a polished to bring it up a bit. This just soaked into the gelcoat and is almost impossible to get out the red stain out.

2nd I tried a polishing compound. This just went on all blotchy and seamed to just be soaked up into the roughness of the gel coat. So I washed it all again.

3rd I tried some fiberglass cleaner/wax. Same thing as the polishing compound.

4th I just tried to apply the wax but it seemed to just soak into the gelcoat and would not "Buff up or out" just all blotchy. So I washed it again.

Last I applied a product called Fluid Film. I was told it was made of wool wax, would resist moisture and protect. So I Fluid Filmed the whole trailer. Looked like new!! However, this morning the dew running off the trailer has removed most of the Fluid Film.

Maybe I should just wash it again and leave it.

Help.

Thanks
Adam
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Read here
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;hl=poli+glow
I think this is the best.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi Adam,

There are several products like PoliGlow that soak into gelcoat and restore a shine. They tend to need several coats and an additional coat or two each year. I bought the Poli Glow kit but have put off using it until next year - I did use the Poli Wash and it did a very good job of cleaning the gel coat.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I put 4 coats of PoliGlow on last year and it still looks GREAT 1 year later.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
I cut polished my last fiberglass camper and then clearcoated it, still looked new 8 years later.
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
One of our Moderators has taken an old trailer and made it look like new. Check out these photos...

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...mp;#entry198738

Also: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=14162 (this one was before the website was hacked.)
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I had mine detailed by a person who does that type of work.. No scrubbing rubbing for me any more! to old! It turned out really nice despite the age of the trailer.. i was very pleased.... the shine was nice but not the "brand new shine" but I was very happy with the results.. It was worth the $300...
I will have it repainted this coming spring.
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I have been trying to wax my egg unsuccessfully. 1 st I washed it right down and the thing is white as can be. The surface is rough and faded from weathering. I wanted to apply a barrier (wax) to protect it.

1st I tried rubbing compund with a polished to bring it up a bit. This just soaked into the gelcoat and is almost impossible to get out the red stain out.

2nd I tried a polishing compound. This just went on all blotchy and seamed to just be soaked up into the roughness of the gel coat. So I washed it all again.

3rd I tried some fiberglass cleaner/wax. Same thing as the polishing compound.

4th I just tried to apply the wax but it seemed to just soak into the gelcoat and would not "Buff up or out" just all blotchy. So I washed it again.

Last I applied a product called Fluid Film. I was told it was made of wool wax, would resist moisture and protect. So I Fluid Filmed the whole trailer. Looked like new!! However, this morning the dew running off the trailer has removed most of the Fluid Film.

Maybe I should just wash it again and leave it.

Help.

Thanks
Adam
Fluid Film sounds like Diesel fuel a lasting shine until it rains. Buy Poly-Glow and be done with you waxing and shine problems.
Chuck
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Personally, I would stay away from Poli-Glow or similar coatings.

I was in a boat yard yesterday and saw what happens to this finishes over time. They turn yellow and crack like alligator skin. The yard manager says he gets boats in all the time needing the stuff removed. I suspect it is only a temporary fix that will cause more problems in the long run. Just my 2 cents...
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:42 AM   #10

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
Personally, I would stay away from Poli-Glow or similar coatings.

I was in a boat yard yesterday and saw what happens to this finishes over time. They turn yellow and crack like alligator skin. The yard manager says he gets boats in all the time needing the stuff removed. I suspect it is only a temporary fix that will cause more problems in the long run. Just my 2 cents...
That is the possible downside to these coatings. I did some research awhile back into this topic and discovered that all of these Poli-Glow, Vertglass, etc. are basically very similar to Johnson's Floor Wax. The negatives are that they can yellow, flake, peel and if you have to remove them it is not pretty. From what I read if you maintain them once a year and are fairly lucky you hopefully won't experience the downside.

The new fiberglass waxes are so easy now to put on and buff, and they require the same yearly application to stay shiny, so in terms of the coatings saving any work it would be really negligible. However, floor waxing your egg probably will yield a higher shine if that is your goal.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:52 AM   #11

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
That is the possible downside to these coatings. I did some research awhile back into this topic and discovered that all of these Poli-Glow, Vertglass, etc. are basically very similar to Johnson's Floor Wax. The negatives are that they can yellow, flake, peel and if you have to remove them it is not pretty. From what I read if you maintain them once a year and are fairly lucky you hopefully won't experience the downside.
I was almost convinced to go with vertglass or poli-glow, but based on that statement I think sticking with an annual application of Gel Gloss is the way I'm going to keep going. Yes, it's work, but it never will yellow, flake, peel, or require any removal.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 ft
Two words. Nu Finish. Been using it on my Egg for two years and WOW, shiny! Nu Finish To wash the Egg, I've been using Fiberglass Magic in the spring to give it a good cleaning down to the gelcoat, then a couple of coats of Nu Finish. Looked like new these last two years. Plus, No build up.

Later!
cjlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
To wash the Egg, I've been using Fiberglass Magic in the spring to give it a good cleaning down to the gelcoat,
This stuff Fiberglass Magic
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:38 PM   #14

Trailer: Compact Jr
Registry
I wet sanded then use a floor finish on mine. The wax I used was a commercial grade wax.
Were in Ontario are you? If you are close you could come over and get some finish and I will give you some hints on wet sanding

Before sanding and finish

Click image for larger version

Name:	outside_front_before_sanding_SMALL.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	16641

corner shot, to the right around corner wet sanded, to the left nothing done

Name:	outside_front__corner_right_side_sanded_small.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	16642

Sanded and finished

Name:	TOP_FRONT_AFTER_SANDING_SMALL.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	16643

A lot of work but worth it, this is the original gel coat on a 1972 trailer
Attached Thumbnails
side_of_trailer_after_finish_SMALL.JPG   BACK_CORNER_AFTER_SANDING_SMALL.JPG  

Rick Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:30 AM   #15

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
This stuff Fiberglass Magic
Donna,

That link to this product results in "This product has been discontinued"
Randy Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Donna,

That link to this product results in "This product has been discontinued"
Guess we need to hear from [b]cjlindsay, because if that's the stuff... it's no longer available as mentioned in the ad and we'll all need to find another product
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:05 AM   #17

Hrrmmph? Well... Gonna have to head on over to Canadian tire and see if they have any left! That stuff was good! Maybe TOO good. (Judging by that Discontinued by Manufacturer thing) I'll take a look and see what I can see. (Maybe I got the name wrong, but I doubt it.)

Later!
Old 11-12-2008, 03:25 AM   #18

Nooooo... It's gone. No more Fiberglass Magic left in the back of the store either. Dang! Ah well, there's always liquid TSP. WEAR GLOVES!... And GOGGLES!... If you plan on using TSP. It's in the painting dept.

Later!

P.S. Nu Finish is still around and is the best, longest lasting polish I've found. It's not a wax, it's more like Rain-X for fiberglass. Cool stuff.

Later!
Old 11-12-2008, 06:04 AM   #19

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
P.S. Nu Finish is still around and is the best, longest lasting polish I've found. It's not a wax, it's more like Rain-X for fiberglass. Cool stuff.
cjlindsay,

I have been using regular boat wax so far - love the result and the natural sheen but doesn't last long enough - and I am considering trying out this Nu Finish product. But being skeptical when it comes to trying out new polishing "stuff" I was wondering if it would be fairly easily removed (unlike poli-glow from what I hear) in case it doesn't turn out right for me and I want to go back to regular wax.

Thanks

Edit: Interesting complaints about Nu Finish here
Old 11-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Daniel -

I've used Nu-Finish for years on my cars and RV's. It works like a regular wax, and is no more difficult to remove. It eventually wears off like a regular wax, but they claim it only has to be applied once a year. I apply it every six months anyway. No problems for me....
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper