Scamp or Boler? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I don't know if any one can help me out with this one... After we searched over the entire camper, we have not been able to find any kind of vin # to help us identify the make of our camper. I have been looking through pictures, and even though we were told it is a Scamp, it just looks so much like the Boler. Does anyone know of some other way we can figure out which one we have?
Attached Thumbnails
29fb_1.JPG  
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi April,

Perhaps on the frame there is a serial number that can help you? I have seen very few painted Scamps on this forum so I have always thought you might have a Boler and not a Scamp.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
April, Scamp stamps the frame on the door side, just about right across from where the propane tank is mounted. Hold a flashlight at an angle and you may see the stamping under layers of paint. Or, try a rubbing.

Didn't you get a title? Once you find the VIN, see Dan's and Dawn's site for Scamp VIN Decoding. The VIN decoding button is at the bottom of the left nav bar. They've also posted a picture of the VIN label Scamp has been known to glue on the frame. My 1988 has both the label and stamped VIN.

Pssst. You don't have a camper, you have a trailer. A camper goes on the back of a truck.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Didn't you get a title? Once you find the VIN, see Dan's and Dawn's site for Scamp VIN Decoding.
I don't get it. How do you get a licence plate for this trailer or insurance without the VIN and a title?

baglo
Old 10-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Glenn, I don't think US States have quite the lock down on licensing/insurance ICBC has on us. I see many references to trailers without any papers on this forum.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 04:41 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When I salvaged my "free" scamp, the brain of the DMV adhered a brand new VIN after we couldn't find one. Because it has no engine, they aren't as picky as long as you fork over some cash.
A distinction between Boler and Scamp are the tail lights. Aren't Boler recessed with the fiberglass molded around them and the Scamp's are on the surface? -Dan
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:01 PM   #7

When we took in our Title to get the trailer registered in TX, they kept it, and issued us only a licence plate w/tags that expire each year. I asked about the title getting switched and they told me TX doesn't require a title for trailers under 4500lbs so we simply don't have to have it. I didn't like leaving the DMV without another title in my hands, but what could I do? They kept it to send in with the paper work we filled out for registration. As I mentioned before, I can't find any kind of number on the body of the trailer. The Florida title that we had before we registered it in TX did have an identification number printed on it, but we couldn't find anything to compare it to on the trailer itself. I can look up the number that was printed on the title we had, but I can't say for sure it will be the original vin number.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
When we took in our Title to get the trailer registered in TX, they kept it, and issued us only a licence plate w/tags that expire each year.
There is NO WAY I would have left without getting a title back. Oregon requires titles for trailers. You're moving to Oregon (eventually) right? What are you going to do, if you decide to sell the trailer in Oregon?????
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #9

That's how I felt too, but if it is registered in TX, I imagine a person can apply for another title in the state that requires it as long as there is some kind of registration for the trailer to go by. I could be wrong about that, but we don't plan to sell it any time soon. I didn't think it was right to send us away without any kind of title in hand, but what good would the old Florida title be if they wouldn't issue us a transfer title to put it in our name?
Old 10-26-2008, 06:20 PM   #10

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York
Hi,
I'm not an expert here, but just wondering.....
In my '76 Scamp you stepped down when you entered, in my '78 Boler the floor is all flat, one level (except under the table). Can this distinguish a Boler from a Scamp?
By the way, I love the flat floor in the Boler, as I can slide the porta-potty out from under the front couch (goucho), and it feels larger.
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #11

we also have a flat floor... except for the dinette area, and the potti fits under the front bunk, just barely.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #12

Trailer: Boler 1700
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Al Nelson
Quote:
I don't know if any one can help me out with this one... After we searched over the entire camper, we have not been able to find any kind of vin # to help us identify the make of our camper. I have been looking through pictures, and even though we were told it is a Scamp, it just looks so much like the Boler. Does anyone know of some other way we can figure out which one we have?
I'm no expert on Scamps but one thing I see on your trailer that I have never seen on a boler is that door latch. Every boler I have ever seen has a horizontal, flush Bargman latch.
Al
Al Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:28 AM   #13

They are small differences, but I am starting to see them. It probably is a Scamp... now that I take a closer look at the Boler photos, inset lights, door handle, not to mention there is not any kind of Boler logo imprint to be found, that I see on other models. They are very similar visually, and I am glad to have it no matter which brand it is. I am glad it resembles the Boler, I just liked that camper style more for some reason... so I guess I have a Scamp that looks kinda like a Boler... good enough for me

BTW, it said SCAP on the original title...
4 letter limit I suppose.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:01 PM   #14

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
They are small differences, but I am starting to see them. It probably is a Scamp... now that I take a closer look at the Boler photos, inset lights, door handle, not to mention there is not any kind of Boler logo imprint to be found, that I see on other models. They are very similar visually, and I am glad to have it no matter which brand it is. I am glad it resembles the Boler, I just liked that camper style more for some reason... so I guess I have a Scamp that looks kinda like a Boler... good enough for me

BTW, it said SCAP on the original title...
4 letter limit I suppose.

Guess if there was a four letter limit, I'd rather it said SCAP than SCAM! :>)

Some years ago I bought an Avion trailer with Texas license and no title. It was no problem, I just had to purchase a ten day temporary license, since the Texas license was expired, and take the trailer to the State Patrol Office for a safety check. They checked the lights, brakes, tires and frame for any obvious defects and also found the original number engraved on the tongue. It they hadn't found it, they would have just engraved a new one with a vibra-tool for licensing purposes. This was in Washington State.

If I were buying an older fiberglass RV, I wouldn't care whether it was a Boler or Scamp. I'd just be glad to get it for a price I could afford!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Hi April,

I think you have a Scamp. And not for the other reasons that have been given. I've seen Bolers with tail lights not recessed and with different door latches. But Bolers don't have the triple screws on the door hinge like your trailer does (they only have two). So, unless there is evidence that the hinges have been replaced, it wouldn't be a Boler.

Dianne
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #16

I am not sure what you mean by tripple screws on the door...
Old 10-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
When I look at the hinge that holds the door to the body, it is triangular in shape and has three screws or bolts that hold the hinge to the body. The Boler hinge is a different design and has only two bolts. Three is better. We are thinking of replacing ours.
Dianne Dohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
You have a Scamp, April. Although I like the thread. Dan
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #19

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
April,
I think Dan is right about the rear lights...the older SCAMPS, those in the 70's at least, all have the back lights mounted onto the back fiberglass and not recessed into the fiberglass. I have a '77 Scamp and the lights were mounted on the back and not recessed. There also is no jelousie (or however you spell it!) window on the front door of the 70'ish Scamps...they have a large oval door window that pushes out the full oval glass with brackets. The Bolers seem to have the louvre'd or jelousie'd door window. I would bet, modestly of course, one $1 on it being a BOLER and not a Scamp.
Let us all know what you find out.
Barbara
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #20

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Quote:
April,
I think Dan is right about the rear lights...the older SCAMPS, those in the 70's at least, all have the back lights mounted onto the back fiberglass and not recessed into the fiberglass. I have a '77 Scamp and the lights were mounted on the back and not recessed. There also is no jelousie (or however you spell it!) window on the front door of the 70'ish Scamps...they have a large oval door window that pushes out the full oval glass with brackets. The Bolers seem to have the louvre'd or jelousie'd door window. I would bet, modestly of course, one $1 on it being a BOLER and not a Scamp.
Let us all know what you find out.
Barbara
I have an 81 Scamp and it has the exact windows as April's on both the Dinette and the Door. Side view looks identical to mine and rear taillights are surface mounted.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler, scamp